Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 345721 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #500 on: July 17, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »
Wellington west onto the Hanlon Southbound.  That you call an onramp?

Best we got 'round here

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #501 on: July 18, 2014, 03:18:56 am »

Oh please do....we like hearing funny, automotive related stories!!  ;D

I'll second that!  OTOH, the king of "automotive-related stories" (Cord) is no longer here...hopefully it's not because of those stories.  But as an ex-employee (rather than current), regale away!

I want to know how the car rental places categorize their vehicles.  Do an expedia search, and there are "standard", "midsize", "full-size" categories.  Yet the car description for all of them is usually some type of mid-size car (even for the full-size category).  What's the difference?

Basically this:

Economy: Think Hyundai Accent, Chevy Spark
Compact: Think Nissan Versa
Intermediate: Think Toyota Corolla
Standard: Think Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu
Full size: Think Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala
ThePointblank, One way to get us to like you would be to advise us on how to get the best rental cars, low cost upgrades etc. Tell us how to play the system.

Basically, show flexibility, book the smallest car possible, and if it is a local branch, know where the primary source of renters come from (is it retail? dealers and body shops?). Avoid one way rentals (a lot of hassles with one ways because the other branch will go through you car with a fine tooth comb, which could mean you get dinged with damages), and if you are a frequent renter at a particular location, keep the car clean so you can build up goodwill, and get to know the people at the branch, especially the branch manager and assistant manager (more apt to upgrade you if you know you are a good renter).

I can elaborate on any of these points if you want.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #502 on: July 18, 2014, 09:30:18 am »
Enterprise adding Mitsubishi Mirages to fleet.

They've had them around here for a while. I've seen a few pink ones...  :rofl2:
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 18, 2014, 04:41:43 pm »
Enterprise adding Mitsubishi Mirages to fleet.

They've had them around here for a while. I've seen a few pink ones...  :rofl2:

Rental car companies tend to get the hard to sell colours that manufacturers have trouble unloading.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »
^^^ Which begs the question.  If some colours are hard to sell why do cars get painted those colours?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #505 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »
ThePointblank, One way to get us to like you would be to advise us on how to get the best rental cars, low cost upgrades etc. Tell us how to play the system.

I'm the opposite, the first thing I ask is "what is the fastest car available"  :)

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:21 pm »
^^^ Which begs the question.  If some colours are hard to sell why do cars get painted those colours?

Because someone invariably wants that colour and having the largest colour palette is a marketing exercise. I've heard and seen many occasions where someone buys a car solely on the basis that the car came in that colour or feature, regardless if the car was any good or not.

I've once met a lady that bought a Chrysler Sebring convertible SOLELY on how the roof folded down. That lady regretted it later on when her car was at the dealer being fixed for the nth time.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #507 on: July 26, 2014, 01:36:12 pm »
Is the new Mirage an economy class car or compact class?

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2014, 04:42:18 am »
Is the new Mirage an economy class car or compact class?

I would assume it would be a economy class car.

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »
When we travel by air, we rent using Air Miles.  They work with Budget and Entreprise.  Better rates for Budget cars, so usually take them.
Went to the coast in early July, booked an "intermediate," which websites said Corolla or similar.  At airport, they gave me a choice between a Fusion or a Volvo S60.  Guess which choice I made?  5 cyl. turbo, 6 spd with paddle shifters (never really got a chance to get used to them, leather.  They said it had XM as well, but it was just a demo channel.  Decent sound from FM tho'.
A couple of years ago we took a Ford Edge, full load, to the Black Hills (from Calgary) after booking a "standard" sedan.  Budget said we would get similar fuel consumption as an Impala or Fusion.  What a joke.  At least I can write large SUVs off my wish list.  Way too much vehicle for our needs (and probably 90% of people driving them!) (IMO)

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 28, 2014, 12:37:11 am »
When we travel by air, we rent using Air Miles.  They work with Budget and Entreprise.  Better rates for Budget cars, so usually take them.
Went to the coast in early July, booked an "intermediate," which websites said Corolla or similar.  At airport, they gave me a choice between a Fusion or a Volvo S60.  Guess which choice I made?  5 cyl. turbo, 6 spd with paddle shifters (never really got a chance to get used to them, leather.  They said it had XM as well, but it was just a demo channel.  Decent sound from FM tho'.
A couple of years ago we took a Ford Edge, full load, to the Black Hills (from Calgary) after booking a "standard" sedan.  Budget said we would get similar fuel consumption as an Impala or Fusion.  What a joke.  At least I can write large SUVs off my wish list.  Way too much vehicle for our needs (and probably 90% of people driving them!) (IMO)

Rental car agencies do this if they have a surplus of one type of vehicle, and less of a type you are after, and they need to conserve stock for the following day. This happens more often towards the afternoon or evening, as the people running the location are starting to be more aware about their inventory, their needs for the following day, and the prospects of getting more returns.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:43 pm »
Showed up at the Avis counter in Edinburgh and found out that my BMW 3-Series "or similar" was in fact a Vauxhall Insignia. Uhhh, no thanks.

They were good about it, and offered me the following choices instead: BMW 116d (Yay!!! Except it was the hated automatic :( ); Golf 1.4TSI (not bad, but I really wanted to try a diesel); Ford Focus (diesel & manual, probably a fine car, and would have been cheaper, but, "meh")

I wasn't super excited about any of the options, then the guy at the next desk over said "Why not give him an MB A-Class?" Hmm... diesel, manual, something we can't get in Canada: sure, what the heck, let's give it a try.

I put a couple thousand miles on it, and, well... it wasn't completely awful. Think I'll write up a proper review when I have a minute.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:04:47 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
"it wasn't completely awful"

:rofl:

Now thats about the most opposite of a glowing review Ive ever heard lol
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:53 pm »
Booked an Enterprise rental, Standard class, for my Brainerd, MN road trip.  We'll see what I get.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2014, 11:44:23 pm »
A few pics and some thoughts:

Interior was not too bad, but kind of plain with that huge expanse of black on the passenger side. I'm not a fan of the stuck-on screen either. The idea isn't terrible, but the execution is really bad with that huge shiny bezel around the screen. And it was constantly making plasticky squeaking/creaking noises as the car drove. Also terrible is the shiny silver paint on the tach and speedo faces (is this a Mercedes or a Kia?)

I really wanted to try a diesel while I was over there, but was seriously unimpressed with this one. The power was sufficient (92HP and 150 lb*ft, IIRC), but man was that ever a nasty, noisy, coarse and clattery engine. Revving it past 2,500 was thoroughly painful, but necessary if you needed to accelerate with any haste (merging onto the motorway, for example). But, once you were up to speed, it was actually really nice to just short-shift the thing and ride that wave of torque from 1,800 to 2,200 rpms. On a narrow, winding road in fourth gear, or on the motorway in sixth, you could keep the revs down around 2,000 rpms, and the engine was actually quite pleasant - loads of torque and very little noise or harshness.

The transmission was pretty underwhelming also: huge throws, kind of a rubbery feel, and a vague engagement point on the clutch (which also had huge travel). Still, I prefer rowing my own: I can't imagine how underpowered that car would feel mated to an automatic.

The car also had that stop-start feature (engine shuts down at stoplights, etc.). I actually thought it was really neat and decided to leave it on. Yes, the car rattles and shudders to life, but the silence while sitting was worth it, IMO.

Handling was pretty decent. AFAIK, the car had the standard suspension, but did have V-rated 225/45R17s on alloy wheels. The steering was decently weighted (pretty heavy, actually), and the suspension had enough starch in it to keep cornering enjoyable. Not to the point of actually being "fun", mind you, but enough to make driving at a semi-spirited 6/10ths pace (had the wife along, so wasn't going to go any faster) a pleasant experience. Cruising at 70-80 mph on the motorway was just fine, as one would expect from a Mercedes (even a small one).

Over 2,200 miles of driving, my fuel consumption was 4.9l/100kms. Not bad I suppose, but still not worth the tradeoffs, IMO. Diesel was around CDN$2.60 per litre, while petrol was around CDN$0.05-0.10 cheaper. If I lived over there, I'd either consider a larger diesel (less need to rev it) or probably just stick with a gas engine. I'd love to try the 1.4L TSI engine in the Euro Golf to see how it compares.

Funny thing is, as much as I'm "meh" about the A-Class, I'm actually kind of intrigued by the B-Class. Basically the same car, I know, but I just think the B-Class is more honest about its mission. The A-Class tries to look sporty (oh, I forgot to mention the horrid visibility out the back window and the rear side windows. Stupid sloping roof), but doesn't have the driving chops to back it up. I actually think the B-Class looks better, and of course it's actually more practical with the raised roof and decent-sized windows.

I could live with a rubbery transmission and clattery diesel in a practical car (B-Class), but it just seems wrong in something that sacrifices practicality for a chopped roof and sporty look (A-Class). Of course, having said that, I still couldn't see myself choosing either of these cars over a Golf. The Golf looks better (inside and out, IMO), drives better, is cheaper, and doesn't suffer that lingering bit of pretensiousness that comes with a three-pointed star on what is still basically an economy car.

Couple things I forgot to mention: horrible visibility out the front for parking maneuvers because of that tall hood. And it looks really ugly. I know it's because of the pedestrian safety regs, but other manufacturers seem to do a better job of it.

Car had a collision sensor feature that would flash a warning light and chime if you got too close to the car in front. Seemed to work okay, but it gave a few false alarms when cornering sharply. I think it would pick up fence posts or even tall grass at the side of the road and scream at me when there wasn't another car for miles.

I was expecting the system to be tied into the cruise control (adaptive cruise, I think they call it?) but it didn't seem to be. No owner's manual in the car, so couldn't look it up.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:03:23 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #515 on: August 05, 2014, 11:04:13 pm »
Great review Helidriver, very informative. I wasn't surprised given some of the reviews I'd seen and your experiences just reinforces that it's not a top choice for rental in that category.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 05, 2014, 11:41:35 pm »
Great review Helidriver, very informative. I wasn't surprised given some of the reviews I'd seen and your experiences just reinforces that it's not a top choice for rental in that category.

And the crazy thing is that it's part of Avis's "Select Series" of rentals. If I had reserved this car specifically, it would have cost me over $800 for the ten days. I paid around half of that, and still think it wasn't a great deal.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:24 pm »

And the crazy thing is that it's part of Avis's "Select Series" of rentals. If I had reserved this car specifically, it would have cost me over $800 for the ten days. I paid around half of that, and still think it wasn't a great deal.

The steering wheel is on the wrong side.  Maybe that's why you didn't like it.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 06, 2014, 12:10:18 am »

The steering wheel is on the wrong side.  Maybe that's why you didn't like it.   ;D

LOL, that took some getting used to. The first day, I actually reached down with my right hand and tried to shift the door pull. Twice.  :-[

I got used to it quick enough, but still had to take a moment to think through each shift beforehand. It was weird having 1 and 2 on the far side of me, especially with the super long throws on that box.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #519 on: August 09, 2014, 08:53:11 pm »
Tomorrow I'm picking up a 3 week rental paid for by ICBC (auto insurance providor in BC for those wondering).  Since they're paying I only have two choices - Elantra or Fiesta.

It will be coming from Budget (again, not my choice but ICBC's choice).  I will be doing about 60/40 hwy/city driving with one passenger most of the time.  I'll be out of town for the duration of the rental once I pick it up so I won't have the option of exchanging/returning the car if I don't like it for any reason - therefore, I wan't to choose the most liveable option if you know what I mean.  3 weeks I understand isn't a long time, but it could be an eternity to live with something that doesn't meet your needs for some reason. 

Any specific thoughts on why I would/wouldn't choose either one?  Thanks in advance for your advice/experiences.