Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 349038 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Rental car thread
« Reply #480 on: May 24, 2014, 11:17:53 am »
Seem to be having some problems booking a convertible.  Not very picky usually they have Mustang, Camaro, and Chyrsler 200.  Any suggestions, links or anything?  I do have CAA, which offers discounts to Hertz I think.  I am trying to book during the second of September, during the week.  But I tried several dates, and they always say booked...  Flexible to pick up within 30km of the GTA area, like Hamilton, Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga.
Avis, Std Conv 1 week Sept 15 to 22, $518 tax in for the week, pick up downtown TO.
Railton

Thanks, went to the AVIS.ca website, and I specified a few Toronto locations, convertibles not available.  Only one that offers it is the Toronto airport, and it's for a Mustang GT, and it's lot more money.  Can you specify the location?
Rogers center, blue Jays Way.
Go thru expedia.ca
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #481 on: June 02, 2014, 07:56:22 pm »
Looking to rent something fun, not too small, and not too expensive for a 10-day trip to Scotland this summer.

So far, I can get a Golf 1.6 (or similar) for CDN$437, a 3-Series, C-Class (or similar) for $466, or a BMW 116D (or similar) for $482.

The 1-Series hatchback is my first choice, as I love that car and would probably have one in my driveway right now if only BMW would bring it here. The only problem is that the "or similar" is a Mini Cooper (which would be fine, but I could drive one here if I really wanted to) or a Citroen DS4 (which might also be okay, in a quirky, French, may-as-well-try-something-different kind of way.) But, I'd still really be hoping to get the 116D.

The Golf is the cheapest, and it would be fun to try a MkVII for an extended drive, but I haven't heard back yet as to what the "or similar" might be. Probably a Kia or Hyundai or something that I have zero desire to drive.  :P

But, the 3-Series/C-Class option sounds like the best value of the bunch. And I'd be sort of curious to drive either of those cars (especially the C-Class if they're renting the brand new one over there already ???) but I think I'd still rather drive a 1-Series than the F30 3-Series.  :-\

Any other not-too-expensive, fun-to-drive, quirky Euro-vehicles that I should try to hunt down? Fiat 500 is sort of tempting, but again, I could rent one here. Maybe something from Peugeot? Skoda? Vauxhall?

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #482 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:17 pm »
So I got upgraded to a BMW 328i xDrive because Budget at the airport did not have any on the class I rented. Drove it Kelowna to Vancouver and Back to Kelowna. Nice car but disappointing at the same time. The interior was from the last century (my opinion), the front seats were very nice and snug but not made for large (lucky I am a small person) people. The automatic 8 speed in comfort mode is the biggest let-down (what a stupid idea) as the engine shuts off when a stop and the there is a noticeable lag and you hear the engine start and then you finally can go (is good for fuel consumption and that is it). Had to drive it in sport mode as the comfort was too annoying. Pretty good torque and power overall but the front cabin is kinda smallish and cramped. Had fun having a co-worker driving it in comfort mode and complaining that the car does not have any power. The wind noise was noticeable at all hwy speeds so I don't think that is t well insulated. For that price I would buy something better. Overall the front seats and the looks for the only strong points in my opinion.

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
Beware the upgrade!
« Reply #483 on: June 28, 2014, 06:57:16 am »
Another trip to France, Nice this time. Car was not so Nice. I reserved a Peugeot 5008 like I had last year. Hoping for that or a Ford C-Max Grande or any other 3 row people mover with room for five plus some luggage.

I got "upgraded" to the Peugeot Expert TePee instead. Room for 8.  It's a builder's van with windows and seats.  Lots of room, none of it in useful areas. Although you can barely jam two suitcases behind the third row, you could carry all your luggage above your heads, if there were overhead bins. At least two feet of empty space up there. The floor is completely flat and the rear seats are on stilts for easy removal. Perfect for carrying gyproc or plywood, but everything else slides all the way from back to front and side to side, always ending up under the driver's feet and the pedals.

A sloppy long throw 6 speed attached to a 2 litre TDi. Gigantic for the roads in France. It just fit in the 1.9 m high parking garages, with the antenna scraping every sign warning of height limitations.

I brought it back after two weeks with no new scratches or dents, which in France is miraculous.

'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #484 on: June 28, 2014, 11:07:56 am »
We were also in France and got lucky. Booked a 1 series hatch and got a 2014 118d with the M Sport Package.

This was great for a few reasons:
- 118d turbo-4 diesel had ample grunt and was frugal.
- M Sport Package gave us a short-shift M shifter, thick M-sport steering wheel, and black and blue alcantra seats.
- the updated, built-in Nav was great at directions and finding places. I generally do not like built-in Nav's, but I guess it worked very well because it was new. As background, I am used to the iDrive and we speak/read French.
- back-up camera was nice.
- small size for Europe.

At first, I didn't understand why they'd equip a 118d with all those options, but I quickly grew to understand why. A motor like the 118d is great for Europe (it'd be just fine for North America as well, where our speed limits are lower!), and so... if you were to buy one, why not equip it with lots of nice options to have a comfortable ride.

I really like the new M Sport shifter and the placement of pedals, etc. Yes, the electronic steering has less feel than the hydraulic steering of older BMWs, but it was fine nonetheless. We left it on 'Sport' mode all the time but it was fine in 'Comfort' as well. Forget about 'Eco' mode and turn the automatic stop-start OFF. They must have improved the Crap-Flat tires, because we were riding on (staggered) 18 inch wheels  :o and the ride was very comfortable.

The only "con" was the 'sad fish' face of the new 1-series.  :rofl2:  But oh well, it looked at least a little better in M Sport guise with HIDs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:18:49 am by Julie »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #485 on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:37 am »
The idea of small cars with small but adequately powered engines and  loaded with all the goodies is slowly taking hold in NA.  Trouble is, we are so brainwashed into very low base prices and a zillion $$ of options rather than just the loaded car at whatever it costs.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #486 on: June 28, 2014, 11:58:57 am »
The idea of small cars with small but adequately powered engines and  loaded with all the goodies is slowly taking hold in NA.  Trouble is, we are so brainwashed into very low base prices and a zillion $$ of options rather than just the loaded car at whatever it costs.

Yup it's sad, most people will say I am not spending that much for a car that small, that has less than 200hp.  Especially a manual diesel hatch, we can thank the Americans for that. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #487 on: June 29, 2014, 03:22:50 am »
We were also in France and got lucky. Booked a 1 series hatch and got a 2014 118d with the M Sport Package.

Nice write up. I think it looks great. Too bad we can't have this car here as I would be seriously interested in it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:40 pm »
Booked the rental car for our upcoming trip to Scotland. I thought I had decided on the BMW 116D "or equivalent", but realized at the last minute that it only included 500 miles per week, which may or may not be enough. It was already a little pricey at C$630 for ten days, so I decided to go with plan B.

I took a Golf 1.6 "or equivalent" with unlimited mileage for only C$410 instead. I was tempted to go with a great deal on a BMW 3-Series "or equivalent" with unlimited miles for only C$440, but oddly enough, I'm more keen to try the basic MKVII Golf than the F30 3-Series.

Of course, we'll see if I actually get a Golf or wind up with something else. Will report back at the end of the trip.  :)

Edit: After sleeping on it, it just seemed stupid not to take that great deal on the 3-Series, so I cancelled the Golf and switched.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:08:42 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #489 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:53 am »
Needed a car for my wife for a couple days & got a very red Fiat 500 rental for a week.   My italian wife has had an ear to ear grin since it came home yesterday.
One of the mysteries of the rental car biz is that it is cheaper to rent for a week than for 3-4 days.
It is a fun little thing to chuck around, but like our Crosstrek could use some more "motivational urgency".

I do need to try out an Abarth one of these days...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:22 pm »
Who says you can't have some fun with a tiny little car packing 100 hp and an automatic transmission?   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yC-QQPk1E

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #491 on: July 16, 2014, 07:44:45 am »
Who says you can't have some fun with a tiny little car packing 100 hp and an automatic transmission?   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yC-QQPk1E
You linked to a video that was marked as private.  Now you have my attention.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 16, 2014, 08:02:20 pm »
You linked to a video that was marked as private.  Now you have my attention.

Oops.  Fixed

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #493 on: July 16, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
Wellington west onto the Hanlon Southbound.  That you call an onramp?

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2014, 05:04:17 am »
I used to work for Enterprise Rent A Car a few years back, so my opinions:

Worst car: Tie between a Chrysler PT Cruiser and the Suzuki Swift+. Why? The PT Cruiser was a piece of unreliable trash with a really crappy interior. Whoever styled and designed the human-machine interface on that thing probably was drunk. Window controls on the dash right in the middle?

The Suzuki Swift+? It was cheap and was clearly built cheap.

Best cheap car: When the Ford Fiesta arrived. When the first Fiesta came on the lot, I was excited. When I had the chance to get behind the wheel, it felt composed, drove nicely, and was well built.

Biggest let down: We had for a short time, a few BMW 328i's in our yard. Every talks about how well BMW's drive. These BMW's weren't good drivers. Very stiff steering wheel that made you tired trying to turn it, and uncomfortable seats. Could never really get comfortable in them.

Nicest surprise: Nissan Altima. Drove nicely, and the interior quality was pretty good for a car that price. It also was comfortable, yet communicated what was going on with the roads nicely.

The Yard Queen: A white 2009 Dodge Dakota. That truck was trouble, and spent more time at the dealer than being driven. Every time it came off a rent, the customer would note that the check engine light was on, and it would be sent to the local Chrysler dealer to be fixed. That truck was such a frequent visitor to that dealer that every time I arrived at the dealer not to pickup someone, they knew that the truck was back. It had no end of work done to it, from electrical re-wiring, to even having the entire engine replaced. I was happy when that truck left our yard for good to be disposed off.

I've got lots of stories from being in the rental car industry. If anyone is interested, I can share them.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #495 on: July 17, 2014, 12:00:04 pm »
I used to work for Enterprise Rent A Car a few years back, so my opinions:

Worst car: Tie between a Chrysler PT Cruiser and the Suzuki Swift+. Why? The PT Cruiser was a piece of unreliable trash with a really crappy interior. Whoever styled and designed the human-machine interface on that thing probably was drunk. Window controls on the dash right in the middle?

The Suzuki Swift+? It was cheap and was clearly built cheap.

Best cheap car: When the Ford Fiesta arrived. When the first Fiesta came on the lot, I was excited. When I had the chance to get behind the wheel, it felt composed, drove nicely, and was well built.

Biggest let down: We had for a short time, a few BMW 328i's in our yard. Every talks about how well BMW's drive. These BMW's weren't good drivers. Very stiff steering wheel that made you tired trying to turn it, and uncomfortable seats. Could never really get comfortable in them.

Nicest surprise: Nissan Altima. Drove nicely, and the interior quality was pretty good for a car that price. It also was comfortable, yet communicated what was going on with the roads nicely.

The Yard Queen: A white 2009 Dodge Dakota. That truck was trouble, and spent more time at the dealer than being driven. Every time it came off a rent, the customer would note that the check engine light was on, and it would be sent to the local Chrysler dealer to be fixed. That truck was such a frequent visitor to that dealer that every time I arrived at the dealer not to pickup someone, they knew that the truck was back. It had no end of work done to it, from electrical re-wiring, to even having the entire engine replaced. I was happy when that truck left our yard for good to be disposed off.

I've got lots of stories from being in the rental car industry. If anyone is interested, I can share them.

Oh please do....we like hearing funny, automotive related stories!!  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #496 on: July 17, 2014, 12:20:26 pm »

Oh please do....we like hearing funny, automotive related stories!!  ;D

I'll second that!  OTOH, the king of "automotive-related stories" (Cord) is no longer here...hopefully it's not because of those stories.  But as an ex-employee (rather than current), regale away!

I want to know how the car rental places categorize their vehicles.  Do an expedia search, and there are "standard", "midsize", "full-size" categories.  Yet the car description for all of them is usually some type of mid-size car (even for the full-size category).  What's the difference?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #497 on: July 17, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
I too, would love some solid rental car lot stories.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Northernridge

« Reply #498 on: July 17, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »
ThePointblank, One way to get us to like you would be to advise us on how to get the best rental cars, low cost upgrades etc. Tell us how to play the system.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #499 on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »
Enterprise adding Mitsubishi Mirages to fleet.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson