Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 349068 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:59 pm »
I would go with the Elantra.  It's a compact vs a subcompact.  More space, more hp, many don't like the DCT of the Fiesta. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #521 on: August 09, 2014, 09:08:28 pm »
I'd go Fiesta, just because I think it might be a spirited little car, and maybe even kind of fun to drive.

Elantra is just boring, basic transportation. The last Hyundai econobox I rented was possibly the worst car I've ever driven. Think it was an Accent. Hopefully they have improved with the Elantra, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #522 on: August 09, 2014, 09:14:35 pm »
Sorry guys, it's the Accent, not the Elantra like I posted initially - but thanks for the feedback nevertheless.  Does that change the decision - Accent or Fiesta? 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:24 pm »
Sorry guys, it's the Accent, not the Elantra like I posted initially - but thanks for the feedback nevertheless.  Does that change the decision - Accent or Fiesta?

Then I would go with the Fiesta.  After the Fit, I think the Fiesta is the better subcompact.  Hopefully you will be ok with the Ford SYNC, and my ford touch, etc...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #524 on: August 09, 2014, 11:08:26 pm »
I'd go with the Accent because I don't trust the Fiesta's automatic.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 09, 2014, 11:20:31 pm »

It's only a rental, he doesn't car about long term reliability.  Neighbour has a Fiesta, it is different (the DCT), but I think the Fiesta would be more fun to drive...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #526 on: August 09, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »

It's only a rental, he doesn't car about long term reliability.  Neighbour has a Fiesta, it is different (the DCT), but I think the Fiesta would be more fun to drive...

I should have said that the Fiesta's auto is not as smooth as a conventional automatic. 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #527 on: August 10, 2014, 02:17:18 am »
I'd take the Accent between those two.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #528 on: August 10, 2014, 03:33:06 am »
The Fiesta is slightly nicer on the inside and drives better, but the transmission is terrible.

PlanB, where exactly in BC do you live? I can't remember exactly what Budget has right now as their compact car, but when I drive by a Budget branch, I can visually check. But I am thinking it is more likely you will get the Accent based upon availability.

Also, I am assuming this is for loss of use coverage. Is your car in a dealer or body shop for repair, or is your car totalled? If your car is in the dealer or body shop, ask the body shop to arrange the rental car; they will get reimbursed by ICBC as the shop has their own agreements with the local rental car agencies.

In any case, when you pickup your car will matter; don't go in the early morning; that's when most rental car places that deal more often with insurance, dealership and body shop rentals have the bulk of their cheapest cars, and the longest lines as they are getting everyone from these shops to their place to rent cars out. Go late morning or noon-ish; the likelihood of an upgrade for these type of rentals is slightly higher, as the rental car places have rented out most of their cheapest cars by then, and they are bridging themselves for the afternoon as most rentals come back in the afternoon at or around 5:00pm.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:49:33 am by ThePointblank »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2014, 12:30:49 pm »
Cool info ThePointBlank, thanks.

-----------------------------

I've never driven an Accent but we have rented a Fiesta automatic. I guess it was DCT? EDIT: I checked, it was. We had a 2013 one.

I honestly didn't notice any issues with the transmission and found it a good rental, with some 'fun to drive'. We had it for a week, mostly city driving.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:36:33 pm by Julie »

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #530 on: August 10, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
The Fiesta is slightly nicer on the inside and drives better, but the transmission is terrible.

PlanB, where exactly in BC do you live? I can't remember exactly what Budget has right now as their compact car, but when I drive by a Budget branch, I can visually check. But I am thinking it is more likely you will get the Accent based upon availability.

Also, I am assuming this is for loss of use coverage. Is your car in a dealer or body shop for repair, or is your car totalled? If your car is in the dealer or body shop, ask the body shop to arrange the rental car; they will get reimbursed by ICBC as the shop has their own agreements with the local rental car agencies.

In any case, when you pickup your car will matter; don't go in the early morning; that's when most rental car places that deal more often with insurance, dealership and body shop rentals have the bulk of their cheapest cars, and the longest lines as
they are getting everyone from these shops to their place to rent cars out. Go late morning or noon-ish; the likelihood of an upgrade for these type of rentals is slightly higher, as the rental car places have rented out most of their cheapest cars by then, and they are bridging themselves for the afternoon as most rentals come back in the afternoon at or around 5:00pm.

Thanks PointBlank, good info to know.  When I arrived at the car rental office it was not busy luckily.  They changed my choices completely however from when I confirmed my reservation a couple days ago.  Initially it was to be between an Accent or a fiesta.  When I got there in person, my choices were an Impala, a Malibu, a Corolla, or an Accent.  I took a quick look at each and it came down to the Malibu/Corolla - I went with the Toyota because I was certain it would be more fuel efficient.  The clerk did the paperwork and we did the walk-around then they gave me the keys.  I asked where the key-fob was as there was just a single key and they said there wasn't one!  This was a pain, why couldn't they have told me that before we did all the paperwork/walkaround?  Anyway, I didn't want to wait another 35-30min to redo the paperwork on the Malibu so I sucked it up and left.  Then I noticed there was no cruise control either - great (I'm going to be doing a lot of  hwy driving so I wanted that feature).  Anyway, we'll see how the corolla is with no key-fob or cruise.  I'm sure it will be fine, if not exciting in any way (not that the malibu would have been exciting either).  If I remember, I'll report back here on how it was to live with the Corolla for 3 weeks.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #531 on: August 10, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »
Can't go wrong with a Corolla, I suppose, but of those choices I find the Impala the most interesting. I think they look great, and from what I've read, Chevy has hit the comfy-cruiser bullseye with that one. I'd be curious to try one.

Fuel economy might be a little worse, but should still be surprisingly decent for a car that size.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 10, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »
Most rental places, don't say upfront what the features (or in Toyota's case) the lack of features their cars have.  That's up to the consumer to ask the info.  I would have gone with the Malibu.  I like the Impala more, but the 4 cylinder in the Impala doesn't sound appealing (which I suspect is what the rental places have).  Also I would worry as much about the 10% in fuel economy difference over 3 weeks.  I would have prioritized comfort, and features more. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #533 on: August 10, 2014, 06:07:36 pm »
Can't go wrong with a Corolla, I suppose, but of those choices I find the Impala the most interesting. I think they look great, and from what I've read, Chevy has hit the comfy-cruiser bullseye with that one. I'd be curious to try one.

Fuel economy might be a little worse, but should still be surprisingly decent for a car that size.

My brother had an Impala as a rental, for a large car he found it small inside

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 10, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

My brother had an Impala as a rental, for a large car he found it small inside

I find that interesting.  I found the Taurus smaller, but the Impala much bigger.  And he rented the new gen Impala? Not the Impala classic?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #535 on: August 11, 2014, 11:21:47 pm »
The old Impala is now called the Impala LIMITED, not Classic.    Stupid beyond belief to name two totally different cars "Impala".   PPL get the new unit confused with the older unit and vise versa.  Still a bozo show at GM.  :)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2014, 08:25:17 am »
The old Impala is now called the Impala LIMITED, not Classic.

GM of course did this with the Malibu - sorry, Malibooboo... years ago too. Just brought out the redesigned one & kept making the old 'classic' for a year or so.
I vividly remember that because I got stuck with one in Miami.  Quite the POS.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 12, 2014, 08:54:36 am »
Thanks Arctic, that's what I meant.  Still didn't get an answer whether it was an old generation (limited) Impala, or the new generation.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #538 on: August 12, 2014, 01:25:19 pm »
Thanks Arctic, that's what I meant.  Still didn't get an answer whether it was an old generation (limited) Impala, or the new generation.

Which illustrates the problem for GM regarding the new one which is a disaster at the moment despite all the BS from Sir O  :).  Some ppl get a brand new Limited and believe it to be the new issue and then tell ppl it didn't cut the mustard.  Now because the new issue is doing so poorly and the demand is so great on the old one they are extending the build on the old one ATLEAST 2 more years.

Certain GM faithful loved the older unit and they loved the PRICE.  If ppl want a 40K Impala then they can get the Buick version.  It's not like they don't know it's there.  Most of the time it's in the same showroom.   

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11:29 pm »
Despite the sales numbers of the new one, or the marketing that may confuse some.  I would still take the new Impala over the Lacrosse.  Despite the same Epsilon II platform.  Nicer exterior, and bigger trunk are just a couple of reasons.

And from Wiki:

"As of April 2014, the Impala have seen a surge in sales since the tenth-generation's launch, capturing 14.7 percent of the competitive full-size sedan segment, up from 6.9 percent in 2013, making it one of Chevrolet's best selling brands due to affordability, promotion, and winning recognition by automotive trades and websites.[51] It also toppled its primary competitor, the Toyota Avalon, who fell from 17.8 percent in 2013 to 14.2 percent in 2014, making the Impala the top selling full-size sedan in the United States."

Source: ^ "2014 Chevy Impala Becomes a Superstar With 113% Segment Share Growth" from The Fast Lane Car (May 5, 2014)