Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 349053 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Rental car thread
« Reply #540 on: August 12, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »
This is a classic impala

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2014, 06:20:10 pm »
No....this is  ;D

This is a really awful place to be.....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:39 pm »
Thanks Arctic, that's what I meant.  Still didn't get an answer whether it was an old generation (limited) Impala, or the new generation.

Which illustrates the problem for GM regarding the new one which is a disaster at the moment despite all the BS from Sir O  :).  Some ppl get a brand new Limited and believe it to be the new issue and then tell ppl it didn't cut the mustard.  Now because the new issue is doing so poorly and the demand is so great on the old one they are extending the build on the old one ATLEAST 2 more years.

Certain GM faithful loved the older unit and they loved the PRICE.  If ppl want a 40K Impala then they can get the Buick version.  It's not like they don't know it's there.  Most of the time it's in the same showroom.   

Fleet operators love the last generation Impala's. Cheap, reliable, and durable. Very popular with rental car agencies, police agencies, and other large fleet buyers.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »
We had an (last generation or the new "Limited" version) Impala as a rental once.

We needed a big car for that trip. It was fine. Nothing stellar. Interior was pretty low-rent. But it was comfortable, steering was ok, and I thought it drove fine.

Online TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #544 on: August 14, 2014, 01:16:28 am »
We had an (last generation or the new "Limited" version) Impala as a rental once.

We needed a big car for that trip. It was fine. Nothing stellar. Interior was pretty low-rent. But it was comfortable, steering was ok, and I thought it drove fine.

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. The outgoing Impala is not a "poor" car... it's just a bit dated. That's forgivable too, considering it's actually almost a decade old, and how good the replacement is.

The last couple years, they were powered by the GM corporate 3.6L V6... hauled ass for a rolling sofa.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #545 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »

I had rented the older "big round tailights" Impalas a few times for long hauls. The old 3.1 and 3.4 always got me 8.5 l/100km - not bad for a full-sizer!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #546 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:17 pm »
I'd go with the Accent because I don't trust the Fiesta's automatic.

It's only a rental, he doesn't car about long term reliability.  Neighbour has a Fiesta, it is different (the DCT), but I think the Fiesta would be more fun to drive...

I should have said that the Fiesta's auto is not as smooth as a conventional automatic.

Wife's friend is visiting and has a late-build 2013 Fiesta sedan with the DCT. Ford is replacing the clutch pack under warranty due to clumsy low-speed behavior (and I tested the car, and sure enough I looked like a first-time stick driver). The DCT in the Focus seems smoother.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #547 on: August 15, 2014, 09:53:43 pm »

I had rented the older "big round tailights" Impalas a few times for long hauls. The old 3.1 and 3.4 always got me 8.5 l/100km - not bad for a full-sizer!

I would get in the 7's with the 3.5L in the Pontiac G6. 

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #548 on: August 16, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
Avis/Budget recieved the new 2015 Hyundai Sonata, the Genesis and the 2015 Chrysler 200c. I'd like to really try all 3! :D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #549 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:06 pm »
2014 Hyundai Tucson with 2.0L rental this weekend.  Doesn't feel like it has 164 hp.  Decent fuel consumption, though: 32.9 mpg.  Driver's seat is comfy.  I spent over 4 hours behind the steering wheel on the way down.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 17, 2014, 08:46:47 am »
2014 Hyundai Tucson with 2.0L rental this weekend.  Doesn't feel like it has 164 hp.  Decent fuel consumption, though: 32.9 mpg.  Driver's seat is comfy.  I spent over 4 hours behind the steering wheel on the way down.

How's the steering feel and handling Wink?

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #551 on: September 08, 2014, 12:43:54 pm »
spent last week in La Jolla, sunny California so I rented a Mustang convertible... don't know what trim level but it was the V6 with dual exhaust... its a bit of a pig and lots of blind spots with the roof up.. fun with the roof down, very boring dash and a lot of cheap plastic... overall it was just OK, no need to go and visit the Ford dealer

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #552 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
spent last week in La Jolla, sunny California so I rented a Mustang convertible... don't know what trim level but it was the V6 with dual exhaust... its a bit of a pig and lots of blind spots with the roof up.. fun with the roof down, very boring dash and a lot of cheap plastic... overall it was just OK, no need to go and visit the Ford dealer

First time in a Mustang?  Were you expecting anything different?  That's why they are affordable...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Rental car thread
« Reply #553 on: September 08, 2014, 01:36:21 pm »
The Equinox. The new number one worse car I have rented.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #554 on: September 08, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »

First time in a Mustang?  Were you expecting anything different?  That's why they are affordable...

1st time since my 1973 with a 351 Cleveland.. I guess I was expecting something a little better, but your right cheap price, cheap car  :(

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 15, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »
Arrived in Germany. Mark 7 VW Golf TDI Blue motion DSG. It appears to be a nice mid trim of sorts.

Haven't driven it yet. More pics and driving impressions after we rest and drive some.

So far, I am loving the interior quality and the RIDE! Soaks up the bumps so well. 16 inch alloys. Dunno if this has the torsen beam (like for TDI's in North America) or independent rear suspension (which is available on TDI's in Europe, just not sure above which trim level...) Will try to find out specs...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:10 pm »
^^ Nice! Which TDI is in it? Looking forward to more pics and your impressions.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 15, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »
Interesting. I wonder how well the TDI will keep up with bahn traffic.

We had a loaded-to-the-gills 328i MSport (N20) in Germany and absolutely worth the 10EUR/day upgrade over whatever the heck we originally rented.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2014, 03:56:43 pm »
^^ Nice! Which TDI is in it? Looking forward to more pics and your impressions.

It's a 1.6 TDI. The other option is a 2.0. It appears the 2.0 TDI's come with the "2.0 TDI" on the rear, at least here in Germany.

I've added some pics below.

Interesting. I wonder how well the TDI will keep up with bahn traffic.

We had a loaded-to-the-gills 328i MSport (N20) in Germany and absolutely worth the 10EUR/day upgrade over whatever the heck we originally rented.

The 1.6 TDI has 110 hp and 250 lbs torque. It has a wide torque band, but you do feel like it's sluggish in terms of gaining speed. If you want to pass on the Autobahn, you need to downshift a gear or two. With the DSG in "D" mode, it seems very reluctant to down shift. Maybe because of the programming? Fortunately, this trim came with paddle shifters. Once I discovered that, I would always "click click" to downshift a gear or two to pass, and ride the wave of torque. Very fast shifts. With that, absolutely no problem on the Autobahn.

I'd been on the Autobahn before, but never as long and with long stretches with no speed limit. What fun! When there was no speed limit, my average speed was 130-140 km/ h. There are sections where the limit is 100 or 80. The truck drivers appear very disciplined. They all stay in the farthest right hand lane (slowest lane). The farthest left lane is really just for passing, and cars zoom by like crazy. I felt nice and comfortable driving in the middle lane for the most part, doing 130-140 on average.

The Mk7 Golf feels like, in sum, a further refinement of the Golf 6. It is most noticeable in the interior. It feels more Audi-esque than the Mk6, at least in this mid-level trimline (more about that below). If you had replaced the VW badge with an Audi one in the interior, I would have thought, "Ok, it's an Audi." I know it's lighter, but it felt just as substantial in terms of its composure at high speeds. Which is one of the things I really love about the Golf/GTI. Very button-down'd driving. The car felt like it "glided" along the roads (very smooth) with very little cabin noise. In fact, unless the revs are high, I can't hear the sound of the diesel from the interior.

The trimline I discovered is a special, mid-trim called the "Cup". It's for the World Cup. It's similar in price to the Comfortline. It's got a moderate level of upgrades. Cloth seats but with special looking surfacing. Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter with a light-grey stitching. It's got Nav, parking sensors, side mirrors that fold in, and I think "self-park" (haven't tried it yet!) But it doesn't have other things like push button start, rear view camera, or HIDs.

The interior is slightly bigger inside and in the hatch area. One of the reasons the interior feels slightly larger (in width) is because the doors kind of "slim" in the middle - so for instance you can't rest your arms at the bottom of the window sill because it's been thinned out. As someone who typically rests her arm at the bottom of the window sill as I like to sit up high, it was less than ideal for me. But that is the only thing I didn't like about the interior.

The seats are comfortable and ergonomic. Didn't really notice a difference with my GTI seats (except that the latter are more bolstered), but they're supposed to have won some kind of award for being kind to backs. The range of seat and steering wheels adjustments felt the same as in the Mk6.

The steering doesn't really have any feel. It's quite precise/ accurate though, weights up well, and firms up nicely as the speeds increase, so it feels stable at high speeds. Because of these characteristics, it's better than most econo-cars I've driven. My GTI's steering is a little heavier and feels quicker, but I assume the newer GTI has better steering compared to the regular Golf.

As compared to the BMW 118d hatch with M-Sport package, the BMW's steering although electric felt notably better. I'm not sure if the M-Sport package had anything to do with it. And I drove with the settings set to "sport", "sport", "sport". Our rental Golf does not have the option to change steering and suspension settings.

I am glad we got a diesel 'cause we are driving lots and fuel is expensive in Europe. We drove over 550 km yesterday, and the car's computer is saying we averaged 5.0L/ 100 km. The 550 km felt like fun rather than a chore though. I think it's because we were able to drive at high speeds and traffic flowed well.

Pics - next post.

EDITED: for typos.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:36:59 pm by Julie »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 17, 2014, 04:03:08 pm »
Having trouble uploading. Let's try a few at a time....

First 3. Please forgive all the bugs on the front of the car.