Author Topic: The "what's in my driveway this week?" Show 'n Shine  (Read 43138 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: The "what's in my driveway this week?" Show 'n Shine
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 10:37:39 pm »

Final cool party trick? That credit card-looking thing is actually an ignition key - fits in your wallet.

Hey I had once of those! On my 2006 IS!  [emoji2]

This will be a neat thread. Are you subject to media blackouts for showing stuff?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 05:48:25 am »

Final cool party trick? That credit card-looking thing is actually an ignition key - fits in your wallet.

This will be a neat thread. Are you subject to media blackouts for showing stuff?

Yes, definitely. Because I like being employed I'd never post something that hasn't been released to the public/media.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 06:52:50 am »

Yes, definitely. Because I like being employed I'd never post something that hasn't been released to the public/media.
Go a head and post , we promise not to tell anyone  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 07:45:32 am »
Great thread Patrick. :thumbup:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 11:13:53 am »
Wow those are both great looking cars.  Sure glad you didn't post $ or I'd have to evaluate the whole "is it worth it" thing.   :P

As wink said - best job ever.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 11:48:05 am »
Great looking cars! Looking forward to any and all info about the G70, whenever that is possible. No I'm not looking to trade the Elantra Sport!!! Right now  ;)

Still going to feed my wife info about the Elantra GT as it comes out, hers not having a heated steering wheel, backup camera, decent audio etc.! And of course the engine and tranny....for me, she's happy with the 2.0 NA.  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 11:51:42 am »

PM me the pictures, I will post them, no problem  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 01:20:09 pm »

PM me the pictures, I will post them, no problem  ;D
Citing "unnamed sources" I see :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
Okay, so this post is cheating a little bit since this car isn't in my driveway this week, but I figured I'd post it since it represents an anomaly in my car "ownership" history.

Back in the fall, for the first time in my 7 years with the company, I got "stuck" between cars. Being a die-hard car guy and a product planning manager with visibility into the product pipeline, I carefully select my daily driver (often well in advance) and play with the timing so that my new car arrives in the proper spec just when I "mile out" the old one and need to give it back. This time, due to an unforeseen delay that pushed back arrival of my Elantra Sport for 3 months, I was caught out after having to hand back my Genesis Coupe (it was a high-demand 3.8 R-Spec in white - a dealer wanted it!).

With the new car months away and nothing to drive, I managed to hop into a low-mileage Santa Fe Sport that had been returned by an executive who was dispatched back to Korea. It was not only the first non-manual car I've ever had (of 18!), but also my first-ever SUV. Of course, I've spent extensive time in every model year of the Santa Fe and various other SUVs before, but never as "my" vehicle over a long period of time. I drove it from September until December, putting roughly 6,000 km on it in the process.

As the "Ultimate" badge implies, this top-spec model came with the 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder and all the bells/whistles. Following the facelift done for 2017MY, the car got some styling tweaks and new features. There was also some pretty substantial retuning that significantly improved the car's overall road manners.

So, how was it going from sprightly manual cars to a big family hauler? Surprisingly painless, actually. Coming out of the Genesis Coupe, it was nice to have the enormous cargo space and the big panoramic sunroof. I also appreciated the easy ability to toss in pretty much anything with little regard for packing, from luggage to mountain bikes. It served me well throughout the fall.

Alas, once the Elantra Sport arrived, it was time to say goodbye. I'm still not what you'd call an SUV convert, but I have since gained a greater appreciation for vehicles like the Santa Fe Sport.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:33:56 pm by Patrick_D1 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 07:33:54 pm »
I've read the interior seems lower-rent compared to rivals.

Not sure if you're allowed to comment on that?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:31 pm »
I've read the interior seems lower-rent compared to rivals.

Not sure if you're allowed to comment on that?

I never did think to take a photo, but this is what it looked like (but with black leather):

It's not the newest vehicle in the segment and thus there are some areas that newer models surpass it in, but I have to disagree with that assessment. It's solidly-assembled and there's nice soft-touch materials throughout. To each their own, though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »
I found the seat narrow and it was pushing on my new hip , very uncomfortable

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:57 pm »

There's more room if you put the walker in the back seat.   ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:53 pm »

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 07:21:20 am »

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
But  I really want a Segway instead of the walker

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:37 am »
While the Stinger is an exciting new product, I have an order in for twin Genesis G70.
My reasons are needing some more subtle sophistication and style.  Something in the Genesis brand
Statements about 'respect' grabbed me.  Buyers need more 'respect' that is usually apparent with German Brands.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 10:02:57 am »
While the Stinger is an exciting new product, I have an order in for twin Genesis G70.
My reasons are needing some more subtle sophistication and style.  Something in the Genesis brand
Statements about 'respect' grabbed me.  Buyers need more 'respect' that is usually apparent with German Brands.

:cheers:  Didn't know they were for sale already. Link?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »

:cheers:  Didn't know they were for sale already. Link?

Ditto, don't leave us hanging! How could you possibly have ordered a G70? What information do you have, because as far as anyone can tell there is nothing specific?

As far as the marketing goes, what have you experienced first hand? Not saying there's anything wrong with the manufacturer brand (after all I ended up owning two of them!), but your conclusions seem rather premature to me, things are just underway. I recall seeing your similiar post some time ago and I replied asking for further comment because what you said was vague, and got nothing. If I wasn't mistaken this instant wholesale buy-in suggests it reads like a junior employee? Tell me I'm wrong  ???

What I'm talking about - search for car ads using the word respect, easy to find the buzz word. Everything from "street cred respect" style (a Fiat ad for example) to the word "respect" used in multiple ads.

Here's a different take on the initial Genesis ad that you won't like;

http://shiftinglanes.com/2016/10/car-ad-corner-this-is-the-worst-car-ad-in-the-last-10-years/   

The bottom line is this, there's a lot yet to come, yet to prove, yet to happen. There are lots of willing buyers out here willing to give more latitude to this new luxury brand than they might otherwise do, including me if they have the right product. Let's see when the time comes when words get replaced by actions?

And please reply this time with facts to back up what you said.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:41:36 pm by dougjp »

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 08:24:48 am »
I'd encourage Gord to speak to whichever retailer he spoke with, because we have not released any details on G70, nor are we in a position to take orders this far in advance. We'll likely launch an official pre-order process later this year.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 08:38:54 am »
Also in my possession recently is the new 2018 Genesis G80 Sport. It's powered by a 3.3L twin-turbo V6 putting out 365 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque, channelled to all four wheels through a full-time, rear-biased AWD system. There's styling tweaks inside & out, plus a firmer suspension and larger brakes. I'm particularly fond of the available two-tone interior with contrast copper stitching and carbon fibre trim.

I am liking this G80.  A lot.