Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 829729 times)

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #1460 on: January 18, 2016, 09:56:05 pm »

Mad Max isn't even in the same league as the Transformers.

Sure it was. They both sucked IMO! :D

(Interesting vehicles notwithstanding)

Best picture Oscar nomination vs. numerous Razzie nominations?
Hardy vs. LeBeouf?
Theron vs. Fox?!?!

Seriously, I liked both, but MM was a great movie, while Transformers was merely entertaining.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #1461 on: January 19, 2016, 12:11:24 pm »
^ Loved Kingsman.  That church fight scene was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.  And the exploding heads.

+1

Let us not forget the final big fight scene in the villain's lair.  And yes, the exploding heads (deserves a repeat mention it's that good)  ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1462 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:12 pm »
Saw The Revenant last night and I thought it was excellent. Hardy was great, but that was to be expected. I'd be very surprised if this doesn't win Oscars for at least director and cinematography. It is long and slow but the scenery is so enjoyable to watch that I didn't mind at all. Along with Ex Machina this is in my top two movies of 2015.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1463 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:09 pm »
Watched Bridge of Spies tonight. It was well done but it was bland. How this gets nominated for Best Picture and Ex Machina doesn't, I don't know.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #1464 on: January 21, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
Got around to opening the Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow.  Wasn't expecting much.  It was good.  Lots of action, little story.  Some background would have been nice.  Didn't care for the ending.  Glad it was a gift...

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #1465 on: January 21, 2016, 10:51:29 pm »
Got around to opening the Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow.  Wasn't expecting much.  It was good.  Lots of action, little story.  Some background would have been nice.  Didn't care for the ending.  Glad it was a gift...

Solstice, PM me if you're interested in getting rid of that movie.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1466 on: January 26, 2016, 08:54:18 am »
Straight out of Compton - Really like this movie although felt like they made them seem nicer than they really were. Great music of course.

Also watched No Escape - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781922

In their new overseas home, an American family soon finds themselves caught in the middle of a coup, and they frantically look for a safe escape from an environment where foreigners are being immediately executed.

Didn't know what to expect but this turned out to be a very good movie although disturbing due to the nature of the story. Think Owen Wilson did a great job in this. Worth checking out.

WARNING: Lots of extreme violence, not for kids.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1467 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:10 am »
Wife doesn't want to watch it.  I probably only have 1-2 opportunities a week to watch a movie, and half the time she watches one with me.  So 2 movies a month, are my picks!

I've got the same issue. Would love to watch Mad Max, have it bought and sitting there. She can't get through the trailer! Nope, nope, so much nope.

Did enjoy watching Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation together the other night, and 'The Man From UNCLE' went over pretty well.

But so far the winner lately was 'Paul' on Netflix.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1468 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
i did find paul crudely funny... pegg and frost are pretty funny 100% of the time they are together. the whole blood and ice cream trilogy i thought was great fun.

is that the mission impossible where they do each others make-up?
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 26, 2016, 11:23:02 am »
Wife doesn't want to watch it.  I probably only have 1-2 opportunities a week to watch a movie, and half the time she watches one with me.  So 2 movies a month, are my picks!

I've got the same issue. Would love to watch Mad Max, have it bought and sitting there. She can't get through the trailer! Nope, nope, so much nope.

Did enjoy watching Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation together the other night, and 'The Man From UNCLE' went over pretty well.

But so far the winner lately was 'Paul' on Netflix.

So nice to hear I am not alone with this problem... Anyways, I will be starting a Mission Impossible Marathon soon, as I have the 4 pack on Blu-Ray.  Then will get Rogue Nation..

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1470 on: January 26, 2016, 01:21:30 pm »
It's a fun marathon, we did that recently. They've kept a lot of interesting continuity in the series over the last 20 years.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #1471 on: January 30, 2016, 02:11:50 pm »
Well, finally got around to seeing that Blu-ray of Mad Max. Wow, just wow. Very different than I thought it was going to be.

(Spoilers)

It's not really about 'Max' at all. The villains were cool (like real villains, just thinking they are doing their best), the vehicles were cool (I've driven a lot of old heavy machinery over time, and it brought it all back), the scenery was awesome (was in the Namib desert a few years ago, and yes it is that stunning) and (main surprise) the women were super cool.

And the sound! OMG! Dual subs have never paid for themselves so much until now. The whole basement was vibrating (as, I was told, was much of the house). Definitely one for the biggest screen and best sound system you can afford.

I'll have to watch that again just to get all the detail.

Amazing!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1472 on: January 30, 2016, 03:28:27 pm »

Well, finally got around to seeing that Blu-ray of Mad Max. Wow, just wow. Very different than I thought it was going to be.

And the sound! OMG! Dual subs have never paid for themselves so much until now. The whole basement was vibrating (as, I was told, was much of the house). Definitely one for the biggest screen and best sound system you can afford.

I'll have to watch that again just to get all the detail.

Amazing!

Awesome. Agree on everything. The sound sets the tone right from the beginning and doesn't stop until the credits are finished. Love this movie.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1473 on: January 31, 2016, 07:26:58 pm »
The kids are gone to bed at a decent hour and it's nice to have all my work done for the day.  It't not a new movie, but sitting down now to watch one of my favourite modern war movies on blu ray......We Were Soldiers.  Having a couple local Pilnsers while I'm at it as well.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 31, 2016, 08:19:59 pm »
The kids are gone to bed at a decent hour and it's nice to have all my work done for the day.  It't not a new movie, but sitting down now to watch one of my favourite modern war movies on blu ray......We Were Soldiers.  Having a couple local Pilnsers while I'm at it as well.  :)

So jealous! Finished supper and bathed the kids by 6pm.  Had the kids in pjs, brushed teeth, story time.  Mom walks in at 8pm from work, now they are so hyper!  Not a movie night for sure!  And I only have shitty Molson Canadian that a friend left last time he was here. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1475 on: February 01, 2016, 09:17:13 am »
Some good movies coming out on Blu-ray/rental in January that I want see. 

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
The Walk
The Martian
Sicario
The Intern

Rarely do so many come out that have good reviews, and that I want to see over a 2 week period...

Finally saw The Martian last night, and was rather pleasantly surprised!  Did not think I would laugh out loud so many times; I guess I fired it up thinking I was in for a grim, moody film.  Absolutely not the case.  It's funny, clever and refrains (most of the time) from stepping into that insular rah-rah "USA! USA! USA!" facile :censor: that we've seen with so many other movies of this genre. 

Well done!  I would watch it again.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:14 am »

The Walk
The Martian
Sicario
The Intern

Rarely do so many come out that have good reviews, and that I want to see over a 2 week period...

Finally saw The Martian last night, and was rather pleasantly surprised!  Did not think I would laugh out loud so many times; I guess I fired it up thinking I was in for a grim, moody film.  Absolutely not the case.  It's funny, clever and refrains (most of the time) from stepping into that insular rah-rah "USA! USA! USA!" facile :censor: that we've seen with so many other movies of this genre. 

Thanks for the feedback, so far only seen Sicario from the list I posted earlier.  I posted some comments about it earlier.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #1477 on: February 01, 2016, 09:48:16 am »

The Walk
The Martian
Sicario
The Intern

Agree. Very enjoyable. It's how I hope I'd react should everything go to hell like that.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1478 on: February 01, 2016, 10:20:38 am »

That's good to hear as well, maybe I will pick it up to rent this week.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1479 on: February 01, 2016, 10:37:45 am »
Is it the space version of Tom Hank's Castaway?

God, no.  I hated that movie.