Author Topic: Winter tires  (Read 97731 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Winter tires
« Reply #480 on: November 09, 2017, 10:15:31 am »
Any specific anti-seize I should be getting?

This one OK?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-silver-grade-anti-seize-0381404p.html#srp

Or should I do:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-copper-anti-seize-0383776p.html#srp

How long would a 113g bottle last?

I got the last bottle of the silver one at my local CT yesterday.  I used it for changeover for the MDX.
It looks like it'll last for about ten to fifteen years unless it dries up before that.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #481 on: November 09, 2017, 10:20:21 am »
^I've never bothered with that & haven't had an issue in 20yrs...
My very first time trying to get a wheel off (Forester's front-right), it was seized as :censor:.  None of the Mazda's wheels were, but still...for $13-17, I can avoid the headache.

One swift kick solves that usually  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #482 on: November 09, 2017, 10:36:38 am »
Yeah, not loving the idea of kicking my vehicle while it's suspended in the air somewhat.  Rubber mallet is better, but not loving that idea either.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #483 on: November 09, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
Small 3lb hammer, or a dead blow one work well too... just tap the rim edge from the inside & the wheel pops off  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #484 on: November 09, 2017, 11:29:26 am »
Yeah, not loving the idea of kicking my vehicle while it's suspended in the air somewhat.  Rubber mallet is better, but not loving that idea either.

Done it countless times, it's no big deal.

The first time I did the changeover on the old Mini the wheels just wouldn't come off. So I loosened the lugs a bit, took it for a drive and slammed on the brakes a few times so the wheels would break free.  ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #485 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:19 am »
Any type of grease will work. I just put on a thin layer of whatever tube I have open. Usually wheel bearing grease.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #486 on: November 09, 2017, 11:40:25 am »
I  like the copper anti-seize  and I don't like conventional grease on the hubs anywhere near the brake disks.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 09, 2017, 11:59:58 am »
Just bump the stuck wheel with the un-mounted wheel...no tools or hammering needed.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #488 on: November 09, 2017, 12:15:40 pm »
Ta da:

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #489 on: November 09, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »
18wrx.  put on some DAI wheels with Bridgestone ws80s

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #490 on: November 09, 2017, 01:27:54 pm »
Even with anti seize, it occasionally seizes.

A good two handed shove at the top of the tires usually works. On occasion it’s seized pretty good. Putting a little bit of weight and/or deep creep is my next step. If that doesn’t work, Kal Tire is usually generous and will do it at no charge.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:51 pm »
Done it countless times, it's no big deal.

The first time I did the changeover on the old Mini the wheels just wouldn't come off. So I loosened the lugs a bit, took it for a drive and slammed on the brakes a few times so the wheels would break free.  ;D
Yup...and I'm sure that wasn't bad for certain components at all!

Typical stuff like brakes, struts, etc. also had to be fixed at various points.
;D

Even with anti seize, it occasionally seizes.
That's potentially because you never drive new cars :P  I'd think the grease is a fairly reasonable effort to avoid (not completely prohibit) seizing from happening.  If it's still seized, I'll head over to KalTire.

Ta da:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #492 on: November 09, 2017, 01:48:21 pm »
A sledge to the inside wall of the tire works for me.  Doesn't require much force.  Just a light tap, and the wheel comes right off.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #493 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:59 pm »
^I've never bothered with that & haven't had an issue in 20yrs...

I've been doing my own changeovers for over 10 years.  I use a bead of lithium grease around the contact area before putting the wheel on and never had a problem getting one off other than the occaisional hammer fist. 

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #494 on: November 10, 2017, 09:03:26 am »
it's pretty simple job to do....  and most should learn how to do it in case if you have a flat.

air tools are great but I barely ever use them when changing tires as it's overkill. 

all you need is:

- good breaker bar 18 to 24"
- proper sockets (usually on imports it's 19 or 21mm - friends amg merc is 17mm)
- a jack and jack stand - love my full size jack but smaller ones can be used
- cordless drill impact driver drill
- adapter for drill to use 3/8" or 1/2" sockets
- torque wrench

using the scissor jack that comes with the car, well, that's a workout for sure.... it's not quick to do tire changes.  this is why I recommend a proper jack.  even the smaller are decent.  I prefer and use low profile full size jack.  With the full size jack, I can lift one side off the ground and change 2 tires per lift.

I recommend placing a jack stand in case the jack fails - check online or manual where you can place the jack stand.

On socket, I put ducktape on the edge / side of the socket so it minimizes the knicks or scrapes on your wheels.

Before jacking the jacking car, I loosen up the lugnuts with the breaker bar / socket o the wheel or wheels.

if you're changing tires on hot day and on pavement, use a plywood underneath the jack / jack stand and it will sink in the pavement.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 10, 2017, 09:24:59 am »
First snowfall!!

Roads aren't bad at all, but not completely bare, either.  I figured it's a decent test of the WS80s.

Truth be told, I was UNimpressed, but am feeling far better about them after speaking with co-workers.   I gather the roads are quite a bit more slick than they looked (where snow-covered - some lanes are bare and wet).

My initial impressions (before speaking to co-workers, who had helluva bad times getting into work today even with their winter tires):

"Handling while going is actually quite good, but starting from a stop?  Perhaps it's the Mazda 3 (GX, which doesn't have t/c), or the intersections were VERY slippery today, but the tires just wouldn't grip - and we're not talking major hills here."

My colleague lives around the block from me.  He has a 2003 Corolla with Xi2s.  Apparently, he had a lot of trouble entering intersections, too, and witnessed a car slide down Kortright into a City bus stopped to pick up passengers. 

I'm still debating which tires to throw on the Fozzie - Xi3s or WS80s.  I was very impressed, to be honest, of traction and stability while driving this morning with the WS80s.  Hmm...  :think:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:49:00 am by No-san »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 10, 2017, 09:47:06 am »
First snowfall!!

Ha I saw your entire post before you edited it! I think the car is somewhat to blame, my Corolla was always a rockstar in snow while my Mazda 3s and 5s have always just been adequate.

Ta da:

Looks good! Team winter alloys!  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 10, 2017, 09:51:05 am »
First snowfall!!

Ha I saw your entire post before you edited it! I think the car is somewhat to blame, my Corolla was always a rockstar in snow while my Mazda 3s and 5s have always just been adequate.
Ha, yeah, I think I was being a little harsh and assumed that the conditions really weren't "that" bad, but it appears that it was more of a "flash freeze" event here (went from +7 degrees to -10 in about 2 hours last night) than the light dusting on the road lead me to believe.

Thing is, I've driven my MIL's Mazda 3 with Xi2s and never found it to be bad in the winter at all.

...I think the bigger blame here is the absence of T/C - once the wheels start spinning, they're slower to calm the :censor: down even after I take my foot off the accelerator.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #498 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:17 am »
First snowfall indeed. We got about 8-10cm on the car when I got up this morning.   I had to take my son to the ER so the Civic with used Xi2s were put to a proper test this morning.
I realize now that the tires are probably older than I suspected.  I should have bought the set of used Altimax's on 16' rims for the same price.  Those were definitely newer than these Xi2's.
Even with the wear, it did okay considering the road conditions.  ABS and TCS kicked in a few times at stop signs, but it was pretty uneventful and controllable overall.
The lower ground clearance is something to be aware of after driving the MDX with WS80s for last winter, though.  I felt some chunks of slush brushing against the undercarriage a few times.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:01 am »
I've definitely found some tires to be better on the Mazda 3 than others. Pirelli Winter Carving and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 are two of them, but now I'm finding reasonable success with the Goodride SW608. My wife says they feel confident on snow although ice is just adequate, nowhere near on par as X-Ice.

How do the Blizzaks stop?