Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2017 Mid-Size Sedans  (Read 10012 times)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: Comparison Test: 2017 Mid-Size Sedans
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 02:43:44 pm »
it's ok Jacob...it was a mistake...you're human...humans make mistakes...i'm sure Noah still loves you.   ;D

He just called.
He says not.
 :rofl2:

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »
IMPORTANT: Jacob has made a colossal error.

Please note:

The Accord pictured was not, as originally depicted in the stat table and after one of my idiotic sub-edits a six-cylinder. It was also not the price we were given.

Honda, in an email, told us this car was a six.  Information I ran with the entire week, even though it was clearly wrong. As a result, the Accord is outside of our price range, and it's also been given the wrong specs in the table. I've corrected all this now.

Had I realized ahead of the test, I'd have corrected myself. I only drove it on test day, and while it felt sluggish I decided I must just be wrong.

I apologize guys. This was a hectic week for me, and the first one back after an unexpected break. I very obviously screwed up in editing and supplying stats for this one and it has made all of us look stupid - when really only I am.

I'm going through the piece now to fix up any other errors.

I've offered my QA services before  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 02:50:18 pm »
I was wondering why the picture of the Accord's engine bay looked like a 4 cyl. Accord to me. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 02:59:53 pm »
IMPORTANT: Jacob has made a colossal error.

Please note:

The Accord pictured was not, as originally depicted in the stat table and after one of my idiotic sub-edits a six-cylinder. It was also not the price we were given.

Honda, in an email, told us this car was a six.  Information I ran with the entire week, even though it was clearly wrong. As a result, the Accord is outside of our price range, and it's also been given the wrong specs in the table. I've corrected all this now.

Had I realized ahead of the test, I'd have corrected myself. I only drove it on test day, and while it felt sluggish I decided I must just be wrong.

I apologize guys. This was a hectic week for me, and the first one back after an unexpected break. I very obviously screwed up in editing and supplying stats for this one and it has made all of us look stupid - when really only I am.

I'm going through the piece now to fix up any other errors.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
So do you have to Steve Harvey the results now since price and fuel economy are wrong in the chart?  ;D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 04:17:44 pm »
So do you have to Steve Harvey the results now since price and fuel economy are wrong in the chart?  ;D

Thankfully no.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »
it's ok Jacob...it was a mistake...you're human...humans make mistakes...i'm sure Noah still loves you.   ;D

He just called.
He says not.
While I'm a little upset that Jacob lied about me calling (sheesh, we Facetimed, ok?  ;D), he knows that I love him no matter what.

...except that I totally wasn't invited for this party!  I better start getting the invites again once I move back closer!!

Another wonderful comparison, with shocking results.  Having driven none of these recently, I can attest that, on paper, the rankings make some sense.  I only take offence with the "design" ratings for the Accord vs the Sonata - the latter of which has a horrid front end that seems so cheap that Hyundai couldn't figure out how to seamlessly integrate the radar sensor.  The Accord may not be "out there" in terms of styling, but I think it looks effing fantastic.  That sad panda of a Malibu should not have scored higher.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 04:23:43 pm »
Seems an odd mix of hybrid and non-hybrid powertrains.  ???  I always assumed hybrid shoppers were looking for a hybrid and nothing else.

I agree.  I understand your limited to the vehicles given.  Even if cross shopping is done.  Just split the chart between hybrids and regular vehicles.  Wish the VW had given you guys the 1.8T, would have made closer in line with the Accord and Mazda.

Nice to read a comparo article.  I suspect the next one to be compact CUV.   

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 04:26:04 pm »

He just called.
He says not.
While I'm a little upset that Jacob lied about me calling (sheesh, we Facetimed, ok?  ;D), he knows that I love him no matter what.

...except that I totally wasn't invited for this party!  I better start getting the invites again once I move back closer!!

Another wonderful comparison, with shocking results.  Having driven none of these recently, I can attest that, on paper, the rankings make some sense.  I only take offence with the "design" ratings for the Accord vs the Sonata - the latter of which has a horrid front end that seems so cheap that Hyundai couldn't figure out how to seamlessly integrate the radar sensor.  The Accord may not be "out there" in terms of styling, but I think it looks effing fantastic.  That sad panda of a Malibu should not have scored higher.

That kind of ridiculous comment makes me glad you weren't invited.  ::)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 04:29:44 pm »

He just called.
He says not.

That chrome strip on the front end looks gross.  Don't worry maybe it will beat the Camry?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »
So when the new Camry is available for testing, and Legacy.  It will be compared to a Sonata Hybrid? 

And there was no spoiler alert.  "Honda’s mid-size sedan has always been a perennial favourite in Canada – nearly 13,000 of us bought them last year. Our winner, the Hyundai Sonata, sold only 10,191 models in the same time span."   Doesn't leave much to the imagination....

What about putting the trim of the cars you get in the chart? 

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:37 pm »
So when the new Camry is available for testing, and Legacy.  It will be compared to a Sonata Hybrid? 

And there was no spoiler alert.  "Honda’s mid-size sedan has always been a perennial favourite in Canada – nearly 13,000 of us bought them last year. Our winner, the Hyundai Sonata, sold only 10,191 models in the same time span."   Doesn't leave much to the imagination....

What about putting the trim of the cars you get in the chart?

In a recent test we got chewed out for not putting the results in the intro - can't win them all.
The chart only has so much room in it. The trim was in but looked like crap, so we stripped it out.
You can expect the Camry and Legacy will be given a head-to-head with the Sonata, among other things.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »
Regarding the "crashing over pavement" observed in the Accord, did the tester trim level had these 2 stage dampers?

High Performance Amplitude Reactive Dampers
All 2017 Accord Hybrid models feature further improved Amplitude Reactive Dampers that deliver a superior level of ride comfort together with crisp, precise handling. The dampers operate in two distinct performance parameters: a Ride Zone and a Handling Zone. Each zone has a unique set of compression and rebound damping forces tailored to provide the desired ride and handling attributes. In essence, the amplitude reactive dampers operate like two separate suspension systems combined in one. The new dampers are entirely mechanical in operation with no electronics required.

Ride Zone
For short suspension stroke the dampers provide minimal damping effect to provide an extremely comfortable ride where little suspension travel is needed- such as on smooth road surfaces.

Handling Zone
For longer suspension stroke a second damping circuit is engaged. Here damping effect is maximized for enhanced steering feel, improved body-roll control and more secure handling- such as during aggressive cornering or on severe road conditions.

With the Amplitude Reactive Dampers, by adding a second spring floating valve above a conventional main piston valve, the Accord Hybrid maintains it’s very flat and stable body control while offering a more supple and well -damped ride quality. For example, while driving on rough surfaces, the application of short-stroke damper movement allows the main piston valve absorb the small vibrations for a comfortable ride. However during hard cornering both the main and second piston valves move that create a much larger damping force for better driving dynamics.

For 2017, development work has centered on the redesign of the oil channel to reduce initial friction and increase linearity for improved response especially in the initial stage of body movement. Front/rear damper friction balance has also been optimized to match, resulting, all together, in further improved ride comfort and handling precision.

The Accord Hybrid features larger diameter anti-roll bars than on the 4-cylinder gasoline engine-powered Accord Sedan, helping to trim body roll to a preferred level during all types of cornering and handling maneuvers. The Accord Hybrid has 19-mm front and 16-mm rear stabilizer bars.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
It's okay Jacob! It was a good comparison but the hybrids should have been compared against each other vs with gas engines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »
It's okay. Monday happens. We still like you, Jacob.  :cheers:
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 07:26:49 pm »
Of course I knew before I read the article that the Tesla won.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 10:16:29 pm »
You guys pop allot of reviews quickly, we won't judge.  :)

But if you want to compare Motor Trends recent review of the 2017 Malibu 2.0t Premier. Comparing it to the Accord V6 it runs rings around in almost every metric and with a 37 mpg highway rating bumps the Accord Hybrid of 39 mpg.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:18 am »
You're biased ;)

You can expect the Camry and Legacy will be given a head-to-head with the Sonata, among other things.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 09:02:34 am »
You're biased ;)

Yes. Include this fine gentleman if the Legacy is involved.