Author Topic: Purchasing 2016 Mazda 3 - Questions About Additional Charges  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Ares640

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 3
Looking into buying a 2016 Mazda 3 GS Manual (Canada). The local dealership gave me a breakdown of the charges but a few of them look kind of suspicious. Can anyone verify these charges are legit? The car is completely stock, no added accessories or extended warranty.

MSRP -------------------------- $19,850
Freight ------------------------- $1,095
PDI ------------------------------ $600
A/C Tax ------------------------- $100
Tire Levy ------------------------ $15
Road Hazard ------------------- $399
Tint ------------------------------- $349
Locks (?) ------------------------- $100
Lifetime Rust/Undercoat ------ $795
5 Year Unlimited Warranty --- $1725

I noticed there isn't anything listed for license/registration fee, so I expect there to be another $100-200 added to this. Freight, PDI and A/C tax sound right, but what about the others? Why am I paying $1725 for the STANDARD warranty? It isn't an extended/additional warranty, it is the standard warranty that comes with the car. Shouldn't that be included within the $19,850 MSRP? What about Road hazard? Tint? These are all before taxes too.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Re: Purchasing 2016 Mazda 3 - Questions About Additional Charges
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:39:05 am »
Road Hazard ------------------- $399, this is a tire warranty above just wear
Tint ------------------------------- $349 if you want it you can get it done cheaper a a tint place
Locks (?) ------------------------- $100 if you are worried someone well steal your wheels this one is pretty standard although you should be able to negotiate it away.
Lifetime Rust/Undercoat ------ $795 waste of money if your keeping it for a long time get Krown
5 Year Unlimited Warranty --- $1725 this is an extended warranty

these are all just cash grabs by the dealer and not necessary to close a deal,..  the $1725 is an extended warranty and not the standard warranty...

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:05:37 am »
Actually.....there is a 3 year unlimited warranty which is STANDARD on all 2016+ Mazda 3 cars:

https://www.mazda.ca/en/warranty/mazda-unlimited-warranty/

So that $1700+ extends it for two more years? 

The wheel locks are listed for $64 on Mazda's own site.  ;) 

Offline Ares640

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:33:30 am »
Tint ------------------------------- $349 if you want it you can get it done cheaper a a tint place
Locks (?) ------------------------- $100 if you are worried someone well steal your wheels this one is pretty standard although you should be able to negotiate it away.
Lifetime Rust/Undercoat ------ $795 waste of money if your keeping it for a long time get Krown

these are all just cash grabs by the dealer and not necessary to close a deal,..  the $1725 is an extended warranty and not the standard warranty...

So I can choose to reject these charges? Regarding the tint, if the dealership tinted the windows prior to selling it, would I be obligated to pay for it even if I do not want it? There are only 2 cars left of the trim/transmission type that I want available at this dealership so I can't pick a different car unless I travel to another dealership.

I live in Newfoundland which has a huge rust problem from winter road salt. Is Krown a cheaper option if I am keeping this car for 5+ years vs paying $795 up front?

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:40:42 am »

So I can choose to reject these charges? Regarding the tint, if the dealership tinted the windows prior to selling it, would I be obligated to pay for it even if I do not want it? There are only 2 cars left of the trim/transmission type that I want available at this dealership so I can't pick a different car unless I travel to another dealership.

I live in Newfoundland which has a huge rust problem from winter road salt. Is Krown a cheaper option if I am keeping this car for 5+ years vs paying $795 up front?

A) Reject charges:  Everything is negotiable

B) Tint:  Everything is negotiable.  If it was pre-applied, that was the dealer's choice and that makes it even more negotiable. 

C)  "Last ones" argument is typically a dealer tactic.  When I bought my Mazda 3, they had no problem transferring one from another dealership. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:55:34 am »
^ A variation on point C, "We've got a guy coming in this afternoon to look at that one. You may want to move on it." It's BS, always.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ares640

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:01:28 pm »
^ A variation on point C, "We've got a guy coming in this afternoon to look at that one. You may want to move on it." It's BS, always.

I have been keeping a close eye on their inventory. The two cars they have atm have been there for the past 4 weeks. I have no problem waiting as I do not expect someone else to buy this car any time soon. I've been debating if it is worth it to wait until closer to the release of the 2017 models to get a better deal on the 2016. Very minor changes in the 2017 models so I am not going to wait to get one of those.

Does the mazda 3 GS come with factory window tint? If it does wouldn't that be included within the MSRP?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 12:04:57 pm »
If it was factory tint, it would be listed somewhere on the order sheet, usually as part of a package or trim level. This sounds like a dealer add-on.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 12:16:52 pm »
It sounds like the dealer "feels" you are too eager to buy that 3. Tell them you are also considering an Elantra which is now 4k off:
https://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/buildprice/step2_trims.aspx?model=Elantra%20GT
(GT GL Manual is 4k off)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ares640

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
Just redid the calculations. By removing the road hazard, lifetime rust/undercarriage and the extended warranty I get:

$3,300 cheaper (Approx $21 per bi-weekly payment on 6 year financing)

I left the wheel locks and window tint in for now. Much more reasonable deal.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 12:54:30 pm »
If it were me:

MSRP -------------------------- $19,850
Road Hazard ------------------- $399 REJECT
Tint ------------------------------- $349 REJECT
Locks (?) ------------------------- $100 REJECT
Lifetime Rust/Undercoat ------ $795 REJECT
5 Year Unlimited Warranty --- $1725 REJECT

But that's just me.   :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 01:24:48 pm »
If it were me:

MSRP -------------------------- $19,850 NEGOTIATE
Road Hazard ------------------- $399 REJECT
Tint ------------------------------- $349 REJECT
Locks (?) ------------------------- $100 REJECT
Lifetime Rust/Undercoat ------ $795 REJECT
5 Year Unlimited Warranty --- $1725 REJECT

But that's just me.   :)

Modified that slightly. :)

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:17 pm »
If you're in St. John's, I actually used to work at that dealer (note that things may have changed, this was ~4 years ago)

- Tint is done outside, the guy who does (or did) the work is however very good. But there is a markup on his price. I know they used to take cars right off the dock and send them down for tint. Shitty I know.

- Same goes for the wheel locks, these have been added when the car was PDI'd. They won't be taken off (I had tried for customers), but I'd demand a discount of $100. Shitty practice I know.

- Road Hazard they were usually sticklers on, I'll bet you end up with it but they may discount the car $399. Most dealers in NL do this I've found. Shitty practice again.

- Don't bother with the rust-proofing. The guys do good work, but it's really an undercoating from what I understood.

- Warranty? Well that's up to you, but it would seem to be for an additional two years. You have to decide whether it's worth the cost.

Feel free to PM me, but my knowledge may be out of date. Once I left I advised a guy I was working with to flip the dealer in Gander an e-mail for a quote and it was cheaper and well worth whatever the DRL bus pass cost.

Offline Ares640

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »
If you're in St. John's, I actually used to work at that dealer (note that things may have changed, this was ~4 years ago)

- Tint is done outside, the guy who does (or did) the work is however very good. But there is a markup on his price. I know they used to take cars right off the dock and send them down for tint. Shitty I know.

- Same goes for the wheel locks, these have been added when the car was PDI'd. They won't be taken off (I had tried for customers), but I'd demand a discount of $100. Shitty practice I know.

- Road Hazard they were usually sticklers on, I'll bet you end up with it but they may discount the car $399. Most dealers in NL do this I've found. Shitty practice again.

- Don't bother with the rust-proofing. The guys do good work, but it's really an undercoating from what I understood.

- Warranty? Well that's up to you, but it would seem to be for an additional two years. You have to decide whether it's worth the cost.

Feel free to PM me, but my knowledge may be out of date. Once I left I advised a guy I was working with to flip the dealer in Gander an e-mail for a quote and it was cheaper and well worth whatever the DRL bus pass cost.

That is very helpful, thanks. I emailed my new offer to the sales rep, depending on their response I will consider looking at other dealerships. Not going to go with the extended warranty.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 02:07:36 pm »
Rough place to reside for purchasing finished goods and the weather is horrible.  But no place like home.  :)

What degree tint?  35% or 20%      20 being to dark so watch for that.

Road Hazard ... depends on the terms, but probably pretty crappy.
Extended warranty .... NO
Their rust protection .... actually harmful if it's the "guck" (undercoating type stuff).

Because of you local you'll probably have to pay a NEWFY tariff in the form of wheel locks and tint at the least.   

Offline Ares640

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 03:33:50 pm »
Update:

The dealer will not remove/negotiate the following:

Road Hazard ($399) -- 2 year tire warranty, mandatory fee instead of charging a "document fee"
Tint ($349)
Wheel Locks ($100)
Lifetime Rust/Undercarriage ($795)

The last 3 items could be removed if I were to order a 2017, but as these items are already on the car presently they will not discount the price of them. They did remove the $1725 for extended warranty so the price is more reasonable.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 03:36:10 pm »
Then walk away, he's being an Ahole...theres  lots of other cars out there

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 03:56:48 pm »

Yep. I wonder what the heck is this dealer going to do with the old stock manual cars  ::)
I'd make an offer (at least $1000 lower after all other nonsense is removed) and would happily walk if they are dumb/spoiled enough not to accept it.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »

What he said. Or just order a new one with the options you want and the colour you like. I did that when I got mine and did not mind waiting a few months, if you're not in a rush.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »

:iagree:  Walk and wait a few days/week. The odds are good that you'll get a call and another offer.