Author Topic: Subaru Could Drop Six-Cylinder Engines  (Read 11784 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Subaru Could Drop Six-Cylinder Engines
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:33:38 pm »

Legacy could use turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder instead

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Subaru Could Drop Six-Cylinder Engines
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:02:13 pm »
Not surprising.  Now if they could pair that turbo with a manual, oh and bring back the wagon.

Offline mnztr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: SAAB 9-5 Mazda MX-5 Ducati MNZTR
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:12:01 pm »
Not surprising.  Now if they could pair that turbo with a manual, oh and bring back the wagon.

Ohhh yeah, a legacy wagon ... turbo, manual, 250 hp.. MAKE IT SO!!!!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »
I was chatting with a Subaru owner chum of mine the other day that had a dyno plot for a not-nuts modded 15 WRX that showed 350hp at the wheels.  He has a 2015 STi that he's about to go to town on and was shocked when the tuner told him they expect a decent number of 400hp WRXs to be strafing our streets soon.  Seems that the 2.0L engine is STOUT and can handle massive power.

Where am I going with this?  Hello, Subaru, how about a 300hp Legacy?  Sounds like the 2.0L can handle it and still make OE warranty spec.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:24:04 pm »
i'm likely the only one... but I don't like the news.
sure, drop it from the Legacy... makes sense, but don't take it away from the Outback.
the Outback's H6 is the only vehicle in Subaru's line up with decent towing capacity.
(Forester is only 1,500lbs)

I'm sure the market for that is a sliver anyways, so i guess that won't matter.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
sure, drop it from the Legacy... makes sense, but don't take it away from the Outback.
the Outback's H6 is the only vehicle in Subaru's line up with decent towing capacity.

There are a lot of Subaru Outbacks in the Mississauga/Oakville area I live in. [Miss Subbie Head Office] I could not tell you the last time I saw any of them towing more than a few bikes around town. My insurance company now charges more for a vehicle with a towing hitch. Yes it's great to be able to tow heavier loads but I wonder how many users actually do. Reminds me of the demand for stick Outbacks/Legacy vs actual sales. The cries by the few seem loud but the actual uptake is low. Subaru Canada like other car companies care about the majority buyers and order accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:57:09 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:10 pm »

There are a lot of Subaru Outbacks in the Mississauga/Oakville area I live in. [Miss Subbie Head Office] I could not tell you the last time I saw any of them towing more than a few bikes around town. My insurance company now charges more for a vehicle with a towing hitch. Yes it's great to be able to tow heavier loads but I wonder how many users actually do. Reminds me of the demand for stick Outbacks/Legacy vs actual sales. The cries by the few seem loud but the actual uptake is low. Subaru like other car companies care about the majority buyers.

agreed, i'm sure the uptake IS low.  But get outside the GTA and there is the odd Outback pulling a small pop up.   It was one of the options we considered instead of a truck.   We actually have neighbours who pull a small pop up with their Outback. 

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »

There are a lot of Subaru Outbacks in the Mississauga/Oakville area I live in. [Miss Subbie Head Office] I could not tell you the last time I saw any of them towing more than a few bikes around town. My insurance company now charges more for a vehicle with a towing hitch. Yes it's great to be able to tow heavier loads but I wonder how many users actually do. Reminds me of the demand for stick Outbacks/Legacy vs actual sales. The cries by the few seem loud but the actual uptake is low. Subaru like other car companies care about the majority buyers.

agreed, i'm sure the uptake IS low.  But get outside the GTA and there is the odd Outback pulling a small pop up.   It was one of the options we considered instead of a truck.   We actually have neighbours who pull a small pop up with their Outback.

Modern pop ups start at about 700lbs. Depends on size 1500lbs might suffice. Is it the engine alone that limits the new Foresters tow rating to 1500lbs ?

I think Subaru is at a crossroads with their 6 cylinder engine. Either invest heavy on a redesign or loose the 6 and go with a turbo 4 like most competitors.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:07:26 pm by redman »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 04:11:57 pm »
I loved the H6 in our Tribeca but I don't see Subaru coming up with a replacement in the midziser SUV category... so this would make sense.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:39:43 pm by Snowman »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
Where am I going with this?  Hello, Subaru, how about a 300hp Legacy?  Sounds like the 2.0L can handle it and still make OE warranty spec.
I'm on your side, but Subaru has been quoted to say that they 'de'tune the 2.0T for North America because of varying grades of fuel.

I don't think they'll change that any time soon...hell, the WRX came out with only 18hp over the Fozzie XT...

And yeah, I don't think Subaru much cares about towing, but they should...Vermont, New Hampshire, and Colorado folks tend to tow things.

By the way, did nobody read this?:
Hori said. “So that’s why probably the future, many companies take the smaller displacement with a turbocharger, or diesel, or hybrid.”
^^ "OR DIESEL"

Hint hint, possibly, nudge nudge, possibly?

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 04:43:48 pm »
Nothing more natural for Subaru...Even their H6 exist who cares - it is a privilege for their van and big SUV. The heart of Subi is four cylinder one...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 04:50:34 pm »
Modern pop ups start at about 700lbs. Depends on size 1500lbs might suffice. Is it the engine alone that limits the new Foresters tow rating to 1500lbs ?

My 1999 Forester was only rated for 1,500lbs as well. 
I remember ready once that "studies" told them 1500lbs was enough for the majority of people, so I think they just don't design it to handle any more.   (chasis, tranny, engine) 
Not sure really what is at the heart of low capacity.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:46 pm »

My 1999 Forester was only rated for 1,500lbs as well. 
I remember ready once that "studies" told them 1500lbs was enough for the majority of people, so I think they just don't design it to handle any more.   (chasis, tranny, engine) 
Not sure really what is at the heart of low capacity.

It's not the engine in the Forester - and certainly not the 2.0T (which has the same tow rating as the 2.5L).  I thought it was the CVT tranny, but CVT and manual have the same tow rating. (1000 lbs, 1500 with trailer brakes).  And since the H6 only has a 300 lb higher rating than the 2.5L in the Outback (3000 vs 2700 lbs), I can't imagine the 2.0T would lower it any further.

For me, tow capacity is one of the draws of the Outback over the Forester.  Won't be a deal-breaker - wife's truck means we'll always have a tow vehicle - but it might be nice to use a smaller, more-fuel efficient vehicle to tow our pop-up trailer.  I fully realize I'm in the minority with this though. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »
What kind of idiots conduct these "studies"???

Or better yet, in what vacuum do these studies take place???

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »
Parents are going to get a Forester or Outback within the next year.

Difference: [Forester NA 4cyl or XT 2.0L Turbo] or Outback 4 cyl? They won't consider the H6 in the Outback due to the fuel economy...if it had the Turbo though....

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 05:27:39 pm »
Subaru has done an excellent job in positioning its turbo 4s as premium within the lineup, so they should make this change with ease. Funny though...elsewhere going to a T4 from a 6 can be perceived as a downgrade.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 07:04:47 pm »
Towing capacity is different by market.  For example, the Forester in Australia is rated at 1,500 kg with/750 kg without trailer brakes regardless of engine/transmission.  This is a bit of a bone of contention on the Forester forum as it appears the Forester is capable of towing more than it is rated for in NA.  Maybe a perceived liability thing?

As for losing the 6 cylinder, unless they wish to re-do it to make it more efficient, it just seems to make sense and is not a real surprise to me.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:52 pm »
Towing capacity is different by market.  For example, the Forester in Australia is rated at 1,500 kg with/750 kg without trailer brakes regardless of engine/transmission.  This is a bit of a bone of contention on the Forester forum as it appears the Forester is capable of towing more than it is rated for in NA.  Maybe a perceived liability thing?

As for losing the 6 cylinder, unless they wish to re-do it to make it more efficient, it just seems to make sense and is not a real surprise to me.
They should modularize and base it on the newer 4 cylinder engines.  Build two:

Take the 2.0 turbo, keep the pistons and rods the same, add 2 more cylinders and make a 3.0L turbo or twin turbo.

Take the 2.5L, do the same and make a 3.7L NA H6.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »
Subaru is one of the  worst positioned companies to meet the hastily approaching 50mpg CAFE standards in the US market .

Their currently  fashionable AWD  mania will be a millstone under the new regulations.

Their hybrid experiment has been a failure. Therefore they will either have to adapt their Diesels to pass North American emission tests , go electric or start re-badging tiny Toyotas from their partner's portfolio to increase their fleet average.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:37 pm »
"Subaru is one of the last automakers to still make a six-cylinder engine available in their midsize sedan. But, if the subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries follows the downsizing trend, the 3.6L boxer six-cylinder could be replaced by a smaller turbocharged four-pot."

What about the V6 in the Accord, Altima, or the Camry.  Yes they aren't that many, but still a few...

“Our research said the six-cylinder model is decreasing in the world,” Hori said. “So that’s why probably the future, many companies take the smaller displacement with a turbocharger, or diesel, or hybrid.”

Hope you didn't pay too much for that research, pretty obvious by just watching the competition...