Author Topic: 2015 VW Golf, Trend 5 sps, Highline Auto impression from MK 5 owner *update  (Read 8048 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
hi all,

test drove the new golf.  trendline (base model) with manual.

as some of you know, i own mk5 Rabbit 2.5 auto, so it's a comparison of sort.

Conclusion : this new Golf seem to be a great car.

the dealer didn't have ANY stock other than the manual demo.  which i thought was kinda weird.

i was hoping to see the Comfortline model with vinyl seats, but they didn't have any. :(

oh well.

exterior design 8/10.   
is very clean and i like it more than the rounded design of MK5.

Interior   8/10.
switch gears all seem of higher quality, befitting VW.
i didn't like the speedo.  even though it is quite similar in design to the Mk5, and the white color didn't look bad, i couldn't quickly distinguish what speed i was going.   maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

center console in silver, i thought it looked cheap in the online review videos, but in reality, looks whole lot better as it looks like a brushed aluminum (it's painted plastic) .

centre arm rest bin is smaller than the older mk5, but seems to be built as solidly.

they said the new car is larger than the old one, but i couldn't tell.  it seems to be about the same size, but the roof is lower and closer to my head.   ???   maybe the space between the door and the seat is little wider..

audio seemed fine, roof lining looked fine, the door handles looked fine.  the speaker grill seem a little cheaper on the new one.

door panels were all well put together, so was the dash.    the door panel looks a little cheaper but very minor issue.

transmission   7/10
the manual is missing a gear.
very solid, easy to row .   typical VW.  easy to get in and out of gear.  not very communicative.
clutch is totally devoid of feel, relatively short, but quite easy to modulate, as the throttle control makes it easy to get the engine where i want and the torque down low makes it easy to go forward.

engine : 8/10
quiet, provides solid surge of torque just before 2k rpm and goes to about 4k rpm and loses steam after.
but on our short drive, it was getting quite good economy and no issues on highway.   
However, at highway speed, passing power does seem a little lacking. (i tried just flooring it in 5th and also downshifting to 3rd.  both are slow)

handling : 8/10
for a daily run about, it has very good handling.  very direct, corners flat(relatively)

steering : 7.5/10
doesn't have much feel, but it is heavier steering than mk5, but also quicker steering and the car feels planted to the road even with relatively narrow tires.

ride :  8/10
the thing that impressed me the most is the ride quality of this cheap little transportation.
it's very german.   i don't know how else to put it.
..  feels solid, the suspension absorbs most little bumps and cracks in the road with no issues.  so does the MK5 but it feels rather crude compared to the new Golf.  a lot less movement over bumps.  you can still feel it, but it feels more subdued.. and more german.   mk5 feels like a cadillac compared to my little brother's civic.   but the mk7 feels like a ...cadillac compared to the mk5.    advancing technology i guess.

some of the reviews said it rides stiff, but i didn't find that at all.   to me it rides "solidly".  it's less bouncy than Mk5, ride itself feeling quite a lot like the Audi A3 i test drove a while back.

also, it is much quieter than mk5 on highway, and in general.    not as quiet as i would like, but i realize i can't expect 20k car to be as quiet as more expensive cars.

overall, 8/10 two thumbs up.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:30:20 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Thanks for that review...why don't you trade in your M3 and golf for a new GTI?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
I just did the VW drive event today and drove the GTI and Golf.

I'm sure its because my GTI has a +1 tune and I drove the '15 GTI first but I found the 'off the line' really sluggish for the Golf. Of course it could also be the slushbox sucking the life out of things. Would like to take the Golf on a proper test drive vs around the cones.

Btw, they had the MK7 wagon there. So sexy!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Thanks for the review. In what instances did it feel like missing an extra gear?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Thanks for that review...why don't you trade in your M3 and golf for a new GTI?

...then what would i fill the other space in the garage with!?  :rofl: ;)

Thanks for the review. In what instances did it feel like missing an extra gear?
to be truthful, i actually didn't miss the 6th gear, but i'm used to being in 6th on highway.
the gears are widely spaced and quite tall, (3rd is taller than my M3's 4th gear) so it's pretty relaxing drive.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I'm sure its because my GTI has a +1 tune and I drove the '15 GTI first but I found the 'off the line' really sluggish for the Golf. Of course it could also be the slushbox sucking the life out of things. Would like to take the Golf on a proper test drive vs around the cones.

maybe compared to your GTI!   i thought it was pretty good, compared to the 2.5 i got!  ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

maybe compared to your GTI!   i thought it was pretty good, compared to the 2.5 i got!  ;)

That is good to know. Maybe I will drive my buddy's Vibe before testing the Golf next time.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Great review and thanks for sharing.

I was surprised to read about the lack of highway passing power. I would have thought passing power would be one of the 1.8T's strengths; too bad.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

When will the MK7 Wagon be available?

I've heard dates from February to October 2015. Seems every time I talk to somebody from VW I get a different month.  ???

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

Coincidently enough I have a test drive scheduled for the new GTI tomorrow, will report after.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
That white hatch on display at the test drive event, could it be the Mk7 Golf R?  It has a centre exhaust. I think only the Gof R has the centre exhaust in the past?  There was no badge indicating what model model it was.   ???
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
If its the same white one I sat in its not the R. Also the MK7 R has dual exhausts pipes, no longer the center pipe. Now if they did bring a R in after I was there I would drive back to check it out.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
If its the same white one I sat in its not the R. Also the MK7 R has dual exhausts pipes, no longer the center pipe. Now if they did bring a R in after I was there I would drive back to check it out.

Ah. I see. Because they didn't make any big splash with the Euro Golf wagon, so I thought maybe they sneaked in a Golf R as well (the centre exhaust).

Thanks for clearing that up.   :D

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport

Now THIS I'm interested in. 

Was it the demo with 4Motion? 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Now THIS I'm interested in. 

Was it the demo with 4Motion?

Nope, just the regular TDI. Think it was the top level trim though.

I asked the VW guy about 4M and he would only say the are only talking about it.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
I also test drove the new Golf today.  I'm only interested in the stick, but the manual was still in transport mode, so I could only tour around the parking lot.  I find the side bolster gets in the way of shifting, but maybe I have freakishly long forearms.  They did have a highline auto which I test drove further.

I like the outward vis of it, it's one of the reasons I'm drawn to it  (no silly coupe profile of current trends).  Pet peeve though, the rearview mirror is not adjustable for height.  Since I'm 6'2, it's smack dab in my vision out the front.  Not sure if it could be swapped?

I'm not a fan of leatherette/vinyl, but I guess that's what everyone else wants.  It seemed good quality to me, would be hard pressed to tell its not leather.  But I wonder about the longevity?  Very comfortable, lots of height adjustment, and lumbar on both front seats.  Surprisingly, at 6'2, I fit fine in the front or back even with the sunroof, which is rare.  Bonus- you can use the sunshade with the sunroof open!  I thought that was brilliant since I haven't seen that before.

I felt like the auto had lots of in-town power, but it short shifts horribly.  Always trying to shift at 1800rpm.  Didn't get out to highway speeds.  I'll have to go back to try the stick...   but I think this may be a strong contender to replace my fun, but gas guzzling fozzie.  Hopefully I can fit my mountain bike in the back with the front wheel off?  I should bring it in to try...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Hopefully I can fit my mountain bike in the back with the front wheel off?  I should bring it in to try...

I can easily put my road bike sans front wheel in my GTI so you should be able to.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Hey, I missed this review when I was on vacation.

Thanks for the detailed comments. I'm really loving having a hatch more and more. I can understand why this would be the #1 contender to replace your Rabbit.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2015 VW Golf, Highline Automatic driving impression from MK 5 owner.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
Another dealership actually had a few Golf highline/comfortline in stock, so I went out to check it out.

i gotta give the thumbs up to the sales guy.   this guy (at northland VW) was friendly (not overly so), respectful of my opinions and thoughts about the car and not pushy at all.

anyway, back to the car.

highline is the top trim level.  it only has 1 option available, which they call multimedia package...  i don't know what comes in that option, other than that it comes with Xenon lights.

Highline by default comes with leather sports seat, sun roof, keyless start stuff, some automatic light stuff...  17 inchers and sports suspension.

i noticed the highline interior uses darker trim plastics and black dash decoration cover piece, and it looked richer than the slightly faded dark grey looking dash of the comfort and trendline cars. 

the steering wheel wasn't anywhere as good as the GTI's, but it's leather wrapped and looks very good.

My SO for some reason prefers Comfortline interior though...  i guess she likes the silver trim pieces brightening up the cabin...

i liked the leather sports seat a bit more than the normal "comfort" seats.  .  bit more bolstering was comfortable to me.

i liked the keyless stuff. 

i didn't like the rear camera.   it is a MOVING PART.  the rear hatch lift handle pops out, and the camera shows below it when you put the car in reverse.

we all know that FGCs' ain't great with electrical moving parts... i think it may be a part waiting to break.
I wouldn't be so harsh on it if it wasn't moving..

oh and got to try the "manual" shifting of the 6 speed auto.   yeah... i'm not using that.  it's the same 6 speed auto as my Rabbit.  upshifts were noticeably faster using manual mode, but downshifts were sluggish.. maybe about 10% faster than mine?   but no matter.  i don't ever use it, and the 6 speed is rock solid.

but the biggest let down for the highline for me is the sports suspension/17incher combo.

the lovely ride/handling combo is ruined with the sports suspension on the highline.  it rides more like a MINI and that's not a compliment.  it's maybe 10~20% more compliant than a MINI cooper. but you can feel almost every crack and bumps on the road...  sure, it can take corners flat, but what's the point?  this ain't no GTI..

i have to say, if there was a way to get comfort line with sports seats and keyless stuff, that would be my dream DD.

as it is, highline is out of the running for a MK5 replacement.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:27:17 pm by aquadorhj »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Thanks for the update.

Ugh, too bad about the sports suspension comfort.  :( 

But at least now you know!