Author Topic: Tesla bonds assigned "junk" status by S&P  (Read 9906 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Tesla bonds assigned "junk" status by S&P
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »
Its shares may be the darling of Wall Street, but Tesla Motors Inc. on Tuesday received a far less rousing recommendation from bond raters at Standard & Poor’s Corp. -- which assigned the electric-vehicle maker a B- rating, or “junk” status.

Companies are given junk-bond ratings when Wall Street determines there is an increased possibility of default.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140527/OEM05/140529882/tesla-bonds-assigned-junk-status-by-sp
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Tesla bonds assigned "junk" status by S&P
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:24:35 pm »
I don't get why such a company would be a Wall Street darling.  I love Tesla, but the reality is that they're a tiny company operating in cut-throat industry that takes massive amounts of capital and large sales volumes to really be profitable in the long term.

What is the definition of risk?  Variance.  What is the probability that Tesla will experience large variance in their income and earnings?  High.  Therefore, it's a very risky venture. Risk means higher interest has to be paid on debentures.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:21:17 pm »
A very exciting, and very unproven company. So B- (or a few notches either way) makes sense enough.

If you're holding Tesla bonds you've got to wonder...if they do default, what collateral have you got? A bunch of technology that probably isn't particularly viable (else they mightn't have defaulted).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:13 am »
A very exciting, and very unproven company. So B- (or a few notches either way) makes sense enough.

Don't underestimate "lust". 

Apple didn't get as big as it is by making a low end consumer product, it has consistently priced itself at the top of the range, which it can justify with it's renowned ease of use and "it factor".
Apply was once a B- rated company, before the iPod...

Times are changing.  Tesla looks to be the first new US auto-mobile manufacturer for decades that actually has a chance of success long term.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »
This story will not help
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093713_tesla-model-s-drive-unit-replacements-how-big-a-problem

Perhaps.  Tesla is, after all, still a new company with new technology.  Marketing studies have shown that if Tesla owns up to the problem and makes things right for the customers, customer loyalty grows more than if they'd had no problems to begin with.  In what I think is the unlikely event that Tesla leaves customers with beyond-warranty failures in the lurch, a lawsuit will resolve it.  Tesla obviously is on record that the failures are design/manufacturing problems, and new cars have to meet a standard of reasonable provision of what they were sold to perform.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 06:17:52 pm »
I would prefer that Mr Musk spent more time on SpaceX and stopped wasting his efforts on electric cars.   He is close to a man rated capsule to LEO which will allow the USA to service the ISS itself.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »
I would prefer that Mr Musk spent more time on SpaceX and stopped wasting his efforts on electric cars.   He is close to a man rated capsule to LEO which will allow the USA to service the ISS itself.

So you want him to stop catering to the wealthy and focus on the obscenely, filthy, wealthy?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:34:18 pm »
No I want him to do his space thing.  He isn't offering hops to space like Branson, he is trying to start a commercial business of people ( who will all be ISS astronauts initially) and cargo to LEO with a reasonably reusable rocket.   Something the facking US congree seems to be incapbale of funding via NASA.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:50:46 pm »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/trans-canada-highway/why-consumer-reports-called-its-127000-tesla-undriveable/article24488402/

What a farce.  Three other door handles worked, including the passenger side.   I've had trouble getting into other cars I've owned, including Ford and Mercedes.  Once in the car, pretty easy to drive it.

Consumer Reports click bait, then Globe click bait == laughable.

Sad what Globe has become.  Pathetic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »

What a farce.  Three other door handles worked, including the passenger side.   I've had trouble getting into other cars I've owned, including Ford and Mercedes.  Once in the car, pretty easy to drive it.

You have a link for that?  The articles I read said they couldn't get into the car PERIOD.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 08:30:20 pm »
I'm starting to think Tesla is a gigantic ponzi scheme. It will never make money.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:42:11 pm »

What a farce.  Three other door handles worked, including the passenger side.   I've had trouble getting into other cars I've owned, including Ford and Mercedes.  Once in the car, pretty easy to drive it.

You have a link for that?  The articles I read said they couldn't get into the car PERIOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPVuG5hj08  0:24 "... No matter what we did, we couldn't get the driver's door open"
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPVuG5hj08  0:24 "... No matter what we did, we couldn't get the driver's door open"

Yea.  But where does it say all the other doors functioned properly?  In my Lexus, I could walk up with the keyfob and ONLY the drivers door would unlock automatically if I touched it.  None of the other doors.

I'm guessing same thing here.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »

Yea.  But where does it say all the other doors functioned properly?  In my Lexus, I could walk up with the keyfob and ONLY the drivers door would unlock automatically if I touched it.  None of the other doors.

All handles come out simultaneously **, you can see the rear door handle is out even if the driver's isn't on previous YT link

** See 1:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtlmNzqQdo
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:14:39 pm by me_2 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »

All handles come out simultaneously **, you can't see the rear door handle is out even if the driver's isn't.

But if the actuator is pooched...do they all not come out?  Or is it possible that it can be programmed so only one comes out?  Again..this was something I could program in my Lexus.

I'm still not clear if ALL of them were inoperable. Wish I knew for sure so I would know who to be annoyed with...Tesla or CR.   ;D

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:15:56 pm »

All handles come out simultaneously **, you can't see the rear door handle is out even if the driver's isn't.

But if the actuator is pooched...do they all not come out?

I'm still not clear if ALL of them were inoperable. Wish I knew for sure so I would know who to be annoyed with...Tesla or CR.   ;D

Can't say for sure on that one  ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:37:20 pm by me_2 »

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 10:40:19 pm »

But if the actuator is pooched...do they all not come out?

Can't say for sure on that one  ;)

What CR is saying is that the driver-side door handle failed to pop out, which was an annoyance. What made the car actually undriveable was the car wouldn't stay in Drive, perhaps misinterpreting that the door was open due to the issue with the door handle. So, CR was correct in saying that their P85D was undriveable; the vehicle didn't want to stay in Drive. So, they had to call Tesla to get the vehicle serviced, and a Tesla technician came, and fixed the door actuator. The technician had to replace the drive side door-handle control module, which includes the sensor and motors that popped out the door handle.