Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Kia Forte Koup  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Kia Forte Koup
« on: November 08, 2012, 06:04:24 am »

This car appeals to Mike Schlee's inner 20-year-old, but not so much to today's 32-year-old version.

Read More...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Kia Forte Koup
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:11:13 am »
Man.. those Kia guys must've got REALLY bored one day.

Does the 'R' stand for 'Ridiculous'?

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:20 am »
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy this over a Civic Si.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:28:22 am »
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy this over a Civic Si.

Can you get a Civic Si for $28k out the door? (*before taxes)

Plus, you're likely to get a much bigger discount on the Forte than you would on the Civic.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:30:00 am by Shnak »

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:48 pm »
Kia so badly needs a sports halo car. Hookey dealer glue ons, stickers and new rims and tires ain't cutting it.

Slip in the 1.6 or 2.0 L turbo motors from Hyundai, revise suspension, brakes and rims/tires and free flowing exhaust.

2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »

Plus, you're likely to get a much bigger discount on the Forte than you would on the Civic.
a Civic Si is $27,485 before taxes (including freight)...while i don't mind the Kia Forte Coupe, i would take the Honda over it in a second...while i'm sure the Forte will be good quality, worst case scenario, if i were to sell the vehicle in 10 years, i'd likely still get $5-$10k for the Civic (like a couple grand tops for the Kia).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
"What Kia has created with the addition of the ‘R’ package is a Forte Koup to compete with the likes of the Scion tC Release Series and Honda Civic Si HFP in the world of manufacturer-backed tuner specials. This car is clearly marketed towards younger drivers, and 20-year old Mike would gladly rock this car (this is the same 20-year old Mike who had a manual, four-cylinder Alero Coupe lowered and tuned)."

Ok.  I do have problems with this statement.  Just because someone slaps on a body kit, lowers their ride and puts in a big stereo doesn't mean it's a tuner or tuned.

If you put performance mods (turbo, supercharger, engine internals, cams, etc.), have someone "custom tune" the ECU for the mods, then I would consider it a tuner or tuned car.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »
None of the cars listed above are more than tires and handling really.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:03 pm »
Ah yes, I remember back in the day, "souping up" my Datsun 510 with a stebro (fart can) muffler, aftermarket rims , tach, wood rim steering wheel. Only to be out-run by an old lady in a Oldsmobile Vista Wagon, who didn't even know I was racing her ! Yep, those were the days.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:27:04 am by Ace »

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 09:43:17 am »
Yeah thats why the lease payment on kia is so high, last time i priced one out at the dealer, the payment is higher than a civic so my brother ended up with a civic

Their residual value is very low...

a Civic Si is $27,485 before taxes (including freight)...while i don't mind the Kia Forte Coupe, i would take the Honda over it in a second...while i'm sure the Forte will be good quality, worst case scenario, if i were to sell the vehicle in 10 years, i'd likely still get $5-$10k for the Civic (like a couple grand tops for the Kia).

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:29:42 am »
I wonder why some car companies come up with odd, meaningless names like Forte, Elantra, Veloster, Camry, Corolla, to name a few.  ???

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:10:04 am »
I wonder why some car companies come up with odd, meaningless names like Forte, Elantra, Veloster, Camry, Corolla, to name a few.  ???
there are many reasons...some names might already be trademarked and not available...other names may have negative meanings in other languages...marketing people may think that certain names will be easier to advertise/market.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:36 pm »
I think Hyundai/Kia's problem is that they need to go racing to understand how to get some decent steering/suspension architecture down. Almost every review you read about them targets numb steering or other whacky handling issues. (poor performance over bumps mid corner, etc) I think they could actually gain a lot of that knowledge through a racing program. Would also love to see more production based racing series - kind of like ALMS but with more production based sports cars like Mustangs, Camaros, Genesis, 370Z, etc. Would be a ton of fun to watch!
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 01:56:51 pm »
I think Hyundai/Kia's problem is that they need to go racing to understand how to get some decent steering/suspension architecture down. Almost every review you read about them targets numb steering or other whacky handling issues. (poor performance over bumps mid corner, etc) I think they could actually gain a lot of that knowledge through a racing program. Would also love to see more production based racing series - kind of like ALMS but with more production based sports cars like Mustangs, Camaros, Genesis, 370Z, etc. Would be a ton of fun to watch!

Well, Kia did make an all-out assault on Grand Am this year, so let's hope it trickles down.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »
One other thing is the aftermarket hasnt accepted Hyundai and Kia like Honda, Toyota.......So the young guy looking for the 3 foot high aluminum wing, fart can and fake carbon fiber hood has no options. I think this is an issue, the cars have no aftermarket support so the young guys arent into them.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »
One other thing is the aftermarket hasnt accepted Hyundai and Kia like Honda, Toyota.......So the young guy looking for the 3 foot high aluminum wing, fart can and fake carbon fiber hood has no options. I think this is an issue, the cars have no aftermarket support so the young guys arent into them.
it's coming...unfortunately.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »

Well, Kia did make an all-out assault on Grand Am this year, so let's hope it trickles down.
i agree...however, i'm curious why they don't send Lotus some money and recruit them to help them with chassis/suspension design...it would likely be worth its weight in gold...i know my car isn't perfect, but i find it more than adequate for what i do (which is likely what they are looking for), but for their sporty models, a "Handling by Lotus" would likely help it substantially.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »

i agree...however, i'm curious why they don't send Lotus some money and recruit them to help them with chassis/suspension design...it would likely be worth its weight in gold...i know my car isn't perfect, but i find it more than adequate for what i do (which is likely what they are looking for), but for their sporty models, a "Handling by Lotus" would likely help it substantially.

Very true, but really, its not like Hyundai/Kia are hurting for customers. I mean definately a name like "Lotus" on the side or back of the car would look impressive. But I think they have a real opportunity here to do it themselves and build their own "street cred" by developing their own race team. What better opportunity than the merger of ALMS and Grand-Am?! Take 2 or 3 years - they've already got the regular public convinced that they're worth a legitimate look but now if they do this right and they develop a TRUE sportscar they can get even more of the enthusiast market too.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:08 pm »
"Handling by Lotus" worked great for Isuzu back in the day. ::)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 10:18:26 pm »
"Handling by Lotus" worked great for Isuzu back in the day. ::)

Haha true, but I would hardly compare Hyundai/Kia's current position anywhere near what Isuzu's was back when they tried that.