Author Topic: Quick Vacuum Review: Dyson DC18 Slim  (Read 4312 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Quick Vacuum Review: Dyson DC18 Slim
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:03:56 am »
With an unexpected short term lay-off, I have some time on my hands.  I'm going crazy since I've never been laid off before, so I'm having to find things to do to keep me occupied.  I'll have some other reviews of go-fast parts tp test for the Supra, but for now...here's a vacuum review.

I have previously owned the first Gen Dyson DC07 vacuum and loved it.  I like most Dyson things...this guy is a gifted engineer...and the engineer in me is really appreciative of his efforts!  My review for it is here: http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,52777.0.html

This new Dyson DC18 is their lightest model, and has several improvements from the old model.

1)First...it's about 5 pounds lighter.  No biggie for me...but Import Queen appreciates this.  It's also about 25% narrower I'd say.  The biggest thing here is the "Ball" mechanism.  Instead of riding on wheels like a normal vacuum, it rides on an oblong ball. The head is jointed.  So it moves effortlessly and swivels into areas very easy.

2)Next is the powered head.  On the old version, the head used the same motor as the suction motor and powered the head via a clutch.  This new version has a separate power unit for the head and one for the suction.  This can be turned on/off on the fly via button for easy switching between carpet and solid flooring.  On the old version, you had to stop, put vacuum in upright position and switch off the clutch/head before continuing. 

3) Ergonomics are much improved.  The shape of the handle closely matches the angle your hand/wrist is in while vacuuming.  And the way the handle/extension comes off is much improved. You simply pull on the red handle tip, and the whole unit comes off the base so you can quickly put on attachments.  Easier than the old model and quicker too!

4) Filter location is improved.  The Dysons have 2 filters.  One HEPA and one pre-filter.  On the old model, the pre-filter was on the bottom.  It's on the top now and access is via a single button.  Nice.

How does it work?  As with all Dysons, amazingly.  It really sucks..but in a positive way.  I thought the smaller size might means less suction, and it isn't.  Ok..well is IS slightly less powerful than the DC07..but not that I could notice.  Item was also purchased locally from a vacuum retailer...and we got it cheaper than the big box places too.  $479 isn't cheap...but the quality of the unit, 5 year warranty, and we got a bonus "spring cleaning kit" (value $115) which includes dusters that go onto the wand/hose of the unit.  It actually works too..I dusted several pieces of furniture and they came out dust free.  Cool.  Oh yea, the vacuum is also certified by the Canada Asthma organization too...so my allergies and Import Queens asthma don't flare up.

Here's some pics...though I didn't take these.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Quick Vacuum Review: Dyson DC18 Slim
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:38:20 pm »
I will take a central vac over one of those

Suction is all about the static pressure ;D

vdk

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:14 pm »
Is that your place RR? I really like it.

Sorry to hear about your unwanted vacation.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »
Sorry to hear about getting laid off.  If you need something to do, you can put together a spring cleaning GTG and vacuum everyone's rides with Dyson.   :)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:07 pm »
Wow, that sucks.
 ;D

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20:55 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:51:52 am »
Rrocket leave the reviews to CR.....................ya can rake my lawn fer $3.33 a DAY................keep ya BUSY eh!!! :stick: :surrend: :spam:...does DYSON "DO" worm mounds and thatch removal...aerate !!! too,,,,,,,,,,,, :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:54:20 am »
Lord Vader your Vacum cleaner is ready.

barrie1

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 12:18:09 am »
2 Rainbow vacumns and a Central Vac in our house. Water is the perfect filter as nothing can get thru it. Just pour it down the toilet and fill it up again with a new filter everytime we use it. You had to know the layoffs were coming as you do work in the auto sector remember making parts. It sucks for all concerned in the auto trade right now across Canada.  :(