Author Topic: Hyundai - another fire recall??  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Hyundai - another fire recall??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 02:33:14 pm »
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40969702/hyundai-palisade-kia-telluride-recall/

That's a weird one.   That could be a real pr*ck to fix.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 02:35:25 pm »
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40969702/hyundai-palisade-kia-telluride-recall/

Why is there an exposed circuit board in the first place?? Do they not think that vehicles may be driven in rain, snow, humid environments?!!? wish.com of manufacturers I tell ya......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 02:36:20 pm »

Why is there an exposed circuit board in the first place?? Do they not think that vehicles may be driven in rain, snow, humid environments?!!? wish.com of manufacturers I tell ya......
Apparently GM has a issue with the new Hummer EV in the rain.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/electrical-gremlins-mean-the-2022-gmc-hummer-ev-might-not-like-getting-wet
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 02:37:31 pm »

Are all these vehicles "designed" to be driven in California?!!?!?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 04:28:44 pm »
The circuit board might be inboard on the side of the body panel aft of the rear wheel well.  Could be the harness.  Whatever, never easy fixes.  My Mustang had a faulty harness that knocked out the rear camera and trunk release.  I rewired only thanks to a Mustang forum 2 years ago. 

Last fall got a Safety Recall Notice from Ford only referring to the camera.  Notice says they will be in touch once they develop a fix.  For MY 2018 and up Ford changed the wiring harness in question.  So they know exactly what and where the problem is.  To this date, I have not heard from Ford.  The fix isn't plug and play.  These recent wiring harnesses are 80% micro wires (can't buy them from Ford/ mine came from China via Amazon).  They are all twisted (invision 12 wires) tight and coated in liquid plastic.   It runs the length of the vehicle with many branches.  Wicked fix.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 06:21:12 pm »
Given the fires, Transport Canada recommends parking them outside.

Sheesh.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 06:38:56 pm »

Seems like it - Toyota is having a similar with their RAV4 hybrid and PHEV RWD motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 06:44:17 pm »

Seems like it - Toyota is having a similar with their RAV4 hybrid and PHEV RWD motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like its getting hot out there:

"Ford is telling owners of some of its most popular, current, internal combustion powered SUVs to park their vehicles outside after a series of engine fires that happened even when the ignition switches were off.

Back in May, Ford recalled nearly 40,000 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs after telling owners to park them outdoors and away from homes and other buildings. On Friday, the company expanded that recall to cover more than 66,000 vehicles from the 2021 model year after getting reports of five more fires — and that’s not even the half of it. The company also announced Friday that it’s recalling yet another 100,000 SUVs in the US alone for. A. Different. Problem. That also causes engine fires."

"For their part, Ford said Friday that it has traced the cause of this latest issue to printed circuit boards that are susceptible to an electrical short, and that it has reports of 21 fires (note: that’s a lot more than the Bolt!) and one injury, but no reports of fires extending to buildings. Ford dealers have been instructed to check the box for melting damage and replace it if needed, and also remove or repair a cooling fan ground wire that connects to the junction box. Ford expects parts to be available by early September (!?), so SUV owners will have a few months, yet, of parking outside to look forward to."

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/11/fire-risk-ford-tells-200000-suv-owners-to-park-outside/

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 10:45:09 am »
Is this recall separate from the issues now affecting most Hyundai and Kia engines?

My cousin has a 2018 Sonata turbo, Hyundai told her that her engine doesn't have the problem and she shouldn't worry, are they BS'ing her?

https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-finally-replaced-my-engine-millions-of-other-o-1851056899
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 12:19:00 pm »
Is this recall separate from the issues now affecting most Hyundai and Kia engines?

My cousin has a 2018 Sonata turbo, Hyundai told her that her engine doesn't have the problem and she shouldn't worry, are they BS'ing her?

https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-finally-replaced-my-engine-millions-of-other-o-1851056899

Does your cousin's car consume oil?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 01:24:10 pm »

Does your cousin's car consume oil?

Not that I know of.   Reading up on it they reprogram the knock sensor to sense rod knock, then hopefully fix the issue before the engine goes kablooey and also gives extended warranty (10 years or 200k).    A couple of weeks ago a friend did just that, then the engine seized, so I guess it didn't work.    The engines are complete garbage, millions of them.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 01:50:58 pm »
It sounds like a bad oil scavenging ring similar to what Volvo had on some of their engines. They tried to go to a less expensive and less tension design (for fuel economy). Rings would "plug up" and allow oil by into the combustion chamber. Volvo had this problem on their NA SI6 engines (one of the reasons I would only consider a T6 as it retained proper rings). Despite this issue Volvo inexplicably kept the eco ring design on their new 4 cylinder turbo/sc blender engines with disastrous results. Volvo quickly made a change back to proper rings.

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 03:18:36 pm »
Really close to buying either a G70 with the 3.3T or G80 with the 3.5T…anybody know if those engines are “safe”? I’ve been on multiple forums and it seems they are not plagued by this oil consumption issue but people on here seem very knowledgeable on these topics.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 03:34:59 pm »
Really close to buying either a G70 with the 3.3T or G80 with the 3.5T…anybody know if those engines are “safe”? I’ve been on multiple forums and it seems they are not plagued by this oil consumption issue but people on here seem very knowledgeable on these topics.
I don't hear anything...unlike the other Hyundai engines.

I think I remember them being recalled for something fuel related...injector, rail, pump, etc but don't I remember specifically. Might not even be the model you're looking at.

But at this point, they do seem fine. Not sure about long term, however.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 05:11:21 pm »

Again if it is like Volvo they may not have screwed with the rings on their performance option.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 08:07:42 pm »

I am still researching this but I have heard nada.  And this is for the first gen G70 as well.  They appear to have the drivetrain nailed.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 08:10:33 pm »

Don't sell yourself short.  Oh course go with the G80.  The show and shine section needs some action.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2023, 12:04:13 am »

Don't sell yourself short.  Oh course go with the G80.  The show and shine section needs some action.

You floating interest free loans?