Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Honda Accord Touring 1.5T  (Read 8034 times)

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Honda Accord Touring 1.5T
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:09 pm »
I wish they would add a manual 1.5T and 2.0T model to their press vehicle fleet.  I'd really like to read about those instead of the CVT models that I'll never purchase.
Or even a DSG ( VW one not Fords version ) or the ZF 8 speed auto used by half the Euro manufacturers.
Honda CVTs are holding up well for the most part.

TBH, with the rev hang and the wet noodle clutches MT Hondas have nowadays, the CVT is worth considering.

Is it that bad?   :'(
There are ways you can improve the feel.

You could get rid of the rev hang by tuning the car. The only problem with this is the possible warranty hassle.

Lots of people also delete the clutch delay valve(something that Honda put in after some :censor: S2000 drivers complained because they can't handle it).

Anyways, almost forgot about the elephant in the room: the CR-V and Civic with 1.5T engine is pulled in China due to fuel dilution issues. This can possibly affect the Accord as well.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 10:20:59 am »
I wish they would add a manual 1.5T and 2.0T model to their press vehicle fleet.  I'd really like to read about those instead of the CVT models that I'll never purchase.
Or even a DSG ( VW one not Fords version ) or the ZF 8 speed auto used by half the Euro manufacturers.
Honda CVTs are holding up well for the most part.

TBH, with the rev hang and the wet noodle clutches MT Hondas have nowadays, the CVT is worth considering.

Is it that bad?   :'(
There are ways you can improve the feel.

You could get rid of the rev hang by tuning the car. The only problem with this is the possible warranty hassle.

Lots of people also delete the clutch delay valve(something that Honda put in after some :censor: S2000 drivers complained because they can't handle it).

Anyways, almost forgot about the elephant in the room: the CR-V and Civic with 1.5T engine is pulled in China due to fuel dilution issues. This can possibly affect the Accord as well.

What the heck is "fuel dilution" issues?  Not something I've heard of.  Please explain.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 10:36:16 am »
This direct injection with a turbo in a blender sized engine will not end well. It seems that one can have a turbo or direct injection but not both. ;D Even the DI in the LR4 scares me enough to swap the oil every 8k kms. On these blender engines are they also using low tension rings for fuel economy?

Long live NA V8s!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 11:04:31 am »
Fuel dilution typically happens more often in these engines during cold climate and/or short trips where the engine doesn't get to operating temperature quick enough.

I'm guessing Honda will make a thermostat change and an ECU reflash and all will be well.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 11:17:25 am »
Fuel dilution typically happens more often in these engines during cold climate and/or short trips where the engine doesn't get to operating temperature quick enough.

I'm guessing Honda will make a thermostat change and an ECU reflash and all will be well.

So like every Canadian driving short short commutes for 6 months out of the year? All those gas savings are going to be chewed up by extra oil changes.  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 11:21:58 am »
Haven't heard of the issue with VW DI engines. I know Mazda was having dilution issues with their Sky-D engines.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:57 am »

So like every Canadian driving short short commutes for 6 months out of the year? All those gas savings are going to be chewed up by extra oil changes.  ;D

Remote start - problem solved lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 11:58:31 am »
Use a quality oil like Amsoil's new formula designed to resist low speed pre ignition that these turbocharged direct injection engines are known for. Amsoil also has good fuel dilution resistance properties which is important in all direct injection engines, turbo or NA. Pennzoil Platinum is another one with good fuel dilution resistance. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 12:21:12 pm »
Saw this review on Youtube and thought others might enjoy.  It's a review of a 1.5T manual Sport Accord.  This guy seems to like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoz6fX-Lpi8

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »
Saw this review on Youtube and thought others might enjoy.  It's a review of a 1.5T manual Sport Accord.  This guy seems to like it a lot.

That would be the Accord I would get, I think.  Not the rocket that the 2.0T is, but fun and engaging to drive without any of the nasty bouncy front end wheel hop that afflicts the bigger motor.  I can only dream jealously of what the highway fuel economy would be like on this thing.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 01:23:32 pm »

That would be the Accord I would get, I think.  Not the rocket that the 2.0T is, but fun and engaging to drive without any of the nasty bouncy front end wheel hop that afflicts the bigger motor.  I can only dream jealously of what the highway fuel economy would be like on this thing.

I'm kind of wondering how hard it would be to put the LSD from the Civic Si on the 1.5T Accord.  I guess you could probably do the same with the 2.0T if you used the Civic Type R LSD to maybe help with the wheel hop, but I think that would probably be a lot more expensive than the Si LSD swap for the 1.5T.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »

Who are you?  What did you do to Jaeger? Smaller motor?   :D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 06:52:56 pm »

Smaller?  Yes.  Weaksauce?  No.  Watch the vid.  ;D

I'd have to drive them all of course, but I've seen a couple vids of the 2.0T / manual that did not leave me at all impressed with how it puts the power down.  So it might come down to Accord 1.5T manual versus Accord 2.0T automatic.  And the winner would likely be the Civic Si manual.  :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 07:16:02 pm »

I'd have to drive them all of course, but I've seen a couple vids of the 2.0T / manual that did not leave me at all impressed with how it puts the power down.  So it might come down to Accord 1.5T manual versus Accord 2.0T automatic.  And the winner would likely be the Civic Si manual.  :)

Weaksauce?  Compared to what?  Similar performance to other mid size sedans with the 4 cylinder engine.  Yes I watched the video, no heated seats on the sport! OMG!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 08:03:22 pm »

Weaksauce?  Compared to what?  Similar performance to other mid size sedans with the 4 cylinder engine.  Yes I watched the video, no heated seats on the sport! OMG!

That's the US model, Canadian models are spec'd differently.  Our base model Accords come with heated seats.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 10:43:37 pm »

Mazda 6.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 11:02:18 pm »
I think the Sport comes with heated seats, possibly even the LX, just no heated steering wheel which is still a major omission IMO.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 11:57:18 pm »

Mazda 6.

OK I will take the bait. Almost exact 0-60 mph times. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 04:50:54 am »
I think the Sport comes with heated seats, possibly even the LX, just no heated steering wheel which is still a major omission IMO.

Now that I have that, not sure I can live without it.