Author Topic: Ram, Ford In War Of Words And Math Over Towing Crown  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Ram, Ford In War Of Words And Math Over Towing Crown
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »

FoMoCo threatening to take Chrysler to court over "best-in-class" marketing

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Ram, Ford In War Of Words And Math Over Towing Crown
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:22:07 pm »
Hmmm....that is an interesting problem. The F450 is beyond the acceptable HD pickup line of 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons. Dodge has 4500 and 5500s as well but I think they are all aimed at commercial customers as they only come in cab and chassis. I dont know about this "class 3 and 4" mumbo jumbo, but I would think when comparing trucks, wouldnt you stick to comparing 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons in the same class?? Of course the F450 is going to haul and pull more than a Dodge 3500, its a heavier duty truck.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »
man... they should just put this much effort into building a good truck and not about the marketing.

totally agree about the naming. if you want a 2500 ram.. it is shopped against a 2500 sierra.. and an f250... if someone compared a 350(0) to it, you would always assume it is more capable...

looks like they are trying to get away with bringing a gun to a knife fight.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:02 pm »
Well yeah, "our 450 can tow more than your 3500 nyah nyah nyah".....feckin duh!! Im not going in shopping a 1/2 ton VS a one ton, thats just silly. I agree, stick to building trucks and leave this childish pi$$ing contest alone.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »
man... they should just put this much effort into building a good truck and not about the marketing.

:iagree:

while I really know nothing about the HD trucks, the 1/2 ton ads drive me nuts.
everyone is best in class at everything......... but read the fine print.
with so many configurations everyone (Ford, RAM, GM) gets a turn claiming "best in.."

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »
Why do you think Ford, GM and Dodge never release a new truck in the same year? So that they all get a turn using the "Best New Pickup" - of course its the best new pickup - it was the only one released this year!
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:33:28 pm »
yeah, by delaying the diesel engine for a year, ram was able to double up... don't think gm was expecting that!

best in class is crazy. it can be best in class in any particular aspect in any particular configuration... means nothing to 80% of buyers in actuality, but i'm sure a huge portion make decisions based on it...

like people who will buy a new v6 challenger just because the hellcat exists.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:10:41 am »
I'll kinda give RAM credit to saying "class exclusive" instead of using "best in class" on some features.

like the transmission.   I'm sure someone could debate that more gears means "best in class" but instead they say "class exclusive"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:19 am »
I'll kinda give RAM credit to saying "class exclusive" instead of using "best in class" on some features.

like the transmission.   I'm sure someone could debate that more gears means "best in class" but instead they say "class exclusive"

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:37:39 am »

Shouldn't this picture show one bent fork and a bunch of straight ones?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
yeah.. or else the one who is unique is the only useful one!

best in class is tough with things like the gears... or rambox... or air ride suspension... or diesel engine.

BIC needs to be a quantifiable fact it would seem... and yeah, glad ram doesn't try to massage it into being best in class with their claims... they sure are willing to put it on our signage for other things though!

torque in a v6, BIC!, fuel economy, BIC, umm.. most...lockable... areas.... BIC!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:35:31 pm »
I just don't believe people actually buy into that crap. "Car and driver" telling me what the best truck is....Im not buying it. They will focus on crap I couldn't care about, oh no the console lid is shiny, or the sunglass holder doesn't close like a german bank vault...ooohhhh. Will it come out of a hole with 2K+ lbs in the box, hows the engine braking, how hard is it to tie down a fridge or motorcycle in the box, will the tailgate crumple if I drive a quad over it, will the tow hooks take a beating, if I wear muddy boots inside do I have to take it to some frou frou detailing place or can I just hose the floor out.....truck stuff. Some sandal wearing, feckin hippie Californians opinion on a truck, yeah, thats like asking me about a Prius.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »
I just don't believe people actually buy into that crap. "Car and driver" telling me what the best truck is....Im not buying it. They will focus on crap I couldn't care about, oh no the console lid is shiny, or the sunglass holder doesn't close like a german bank vault...ooohhhh. Will it come out of a hole with 2K+ lbs in the box, hows the engine braking, how hard is it to tie down a fridge or motorcycle in the box, will the tailgate crumple if I drive a quad over it, will the tow hooks take a beating, if I wear muddy boots inside do I have to take it to some frou frou detailing place or can I just hose the floor out.....truck stuff. Some sandal wearing, feckin hippie Californians opinion on a truck, yeah, thats like asking me about a Prius.

it's like "Initial Quality" awards.   meaningless.  (IMO)
first off shouldn't ALL vehicles have high initial quality?

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »

It is high time for you to review another truck!