Author Topic: 2011 Tucson GLS - Warning ToWinter Drivers - Air box and filter packs with Snow  (Read 10509 times)

Offline SportageEX2011Luxe

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Sportage EX-L 2011, Civic
We have a 2011 Sportage EX Luxury with 50,000 km.  All good except...
Last week we have a similar event.  Driving back from upstate New York to Quebec city in a snowstorm.
Conditions were not good, snow, wind and reduced visibility.
After driving for a few hours, the car started to "feel" weird, like it was loosing speed.
We continued to drive for a couple more hours until the car really start to loose speed and the accelerator did not have much effect.
Check Engine came one and we started to loose lots of speed (sub 50km/hr on highway in a snowstorm, not good).
Even the auto transmission was acting were we had to manually go into 2 or 3 to get anywhere.
Had to stop.
Brought the car to a nearby dealer who confirmed a "completely clogged with snow/ice air intake (under the air filter)" caused this (very unpleasant) event.  They had to add almost 2L of oil that got into the exhaust during this event...
This dealership was *very* nice with us.
I guess Kia/Hyundai are up for a recall/rev for the 2011 Sportage / Tucson air intake.
Couple days later, did an oil change and my dealer confirmed all is good on car.

Offline nothingbeatsflying

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Hyundai Tucson
Guess I'm resurrecting an old thread. What was the outcome of this situation. We have a 2012 Tucson and just experienced this very issue. I'm pretty upset that Hyundai would sell a vehicle that isn't able to handle a bit of blowing snow.

Cheers.