Author Topic: 2011 Tucson GLS - Warning ToWinter Drivers - Air box and filter packs with Snow  (Read 10465 times)

mark@mfrltd.com

Hello Readers:

We have a great little SUV, the 2011 – Tucson GLS (2.4l) by Hyundai .  It’s a great ride and we have no regrets buying it and highly recommend it too… 

BUT, last Friday, January 21st while driving approx. 350km while it was snowing….  We had a problem which forced us to stop and clean our Air Box and to Dry Off our $17 air filter with a hair dryer when we got hom…. 

I highly recommend having a spare one on board just in case your Drivers drive their 2011 Tucson’s in the winter while it’s snowing….  This is the story of the little SUV how thought it could but needs a little help and words of wisdom…

We also have pictures which we can poste for your information and to back –up our little warning to those other Tucson 2011 – GLS owners out there.  Major damage can be done if this problem is not resolved. 

We are now waiting for Hyundai Korea to come up with a permanent solution.  What Hyundai Canada are saying is that this is an extreme weather related problem, which is a bogus answer in my book, a thorough Root Cause Analysis needs to be performed and a tangible long term solution(s) needs to be implemented.  The storm we drove through was not extreme weather, but just a typical storm with very fine snowflakes (dry snow in my book).

Good Luck to all2011 Tucson GLS (2.4 liter) owners!  If you have insights or are experiencing the same problem just let me know.  It will help in building our case.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
This is the first I've heard of this issue...and likely Hyundai Canada too.  Why wouldn't they say it's a weather related incident?

Even doing a key word search on the net I find no other incident...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
We had a problem which forced us to stop and clean our Air Box and to Dry Off our $17 air filter with a hair dryer when we got hom….

What exactly caused you to stop?
Is it a cabin or the engine air filter?
Last time I checked my cabin AF cost around 50 bucks...
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
We had a problem which forced us to stop and clean our Air Box and to Dry Off our $17 air filter with a hair dryer when we got hom….

He;s obviously referring to the air filter in the engine compartment.  Somehow snow got in and blocked it up.  I suspect the car was bogging, and generally running like a POS...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus

He;s obviously referring to the air filter in the engine compartment.  Somehow snow got in and blocked it up.  I suspect the car was bogging, and generally running like a POS...

Yeah, I guess. With as much snow as we got this winter around here I haven't seen any Tucsons stuck, and ppl take HWY400 up North and back every day.  ???

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Volvo recognized this problem. My old V70R had a snow "valve" on the bottom of the airbox.

mark@mfrltd.com

Sorry to hear this.
What were the symptoms?

Symptoms:  Gradual loss of power.  There is a guy who had back firing, cop pulled him over near Quebec and called a fire truck...

mark@mfrltd.com

See attached PDF file of Actual pictures of the SNOW in the Air Filter Box compartment.

Thanks for the posts guys.  To remediate my little snow problem, we bought a new air filter, replaced the old one, dried it off and now have a spare one in case snow builds-up again in the air filter box & incoming ductwork.  Its a temporary fix, we are waiting on the design team to come-up with a permanent fix.  Key root causes: Driving while its snowing (fine particles), Driving for more than 2 hours straight, and an air intake system that allows snow to get through.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
Good work on the issue but don't expect much from Hyundai in the matter of admitting defect and making a design change.  One in a million Tucson drivers will drive long enough in cold fluffy snow to make this happen so you don't weigh too much in air conditionned headquarters I'm afraid...  I checked weather statistics for Edmunston and St-Leonard NB on Jan 21st and it was indeed cold and snowy but likely no more than 10 cm of snow fell that day.  So as you mentionned, definitely not a monster storm like the atlantic provinces get but a light and cold snow that would get all the way to your air filter box without melting.

Looks like your air intake is straight from the grill to the air filter with nothing to prevent the snow to reach the filter.  A short ride in a snow storm might not be enough to clog the air passage but a long one like you did was.  Something the engineers at Hyundai Korea likely didn't.

The air intake on My Santa Fe is angled 90 degree down in the grill probably to avoid this.  I'm always doubtful when I see pictures of car's engine compartments with the air intake facing straight forward for all the snow/water/road salt, etc. to enter.

Best you could do would be to install some kind of a deflector in front of the air intake, without actually blocking it, when you plan a long drive in snowy weather.  Or leave it there for the entire winter and see if you have any driveability issue with it in place.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:35:14 am by Minou »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Hmm makes me wonder about Hyundai/Kia cold weather testing considering the few issues I've heard about and experienced lately.

mark@mfrltd.com

Part of your Quote:  ``Best you could do would be to install some kind of a deflector in front of the air intake, without actually blocking it, when you plan a long drive in snowy weather.  Or leave it there for the entire winter and see if you have any driveability issue with it in place.``

Hi:  Thanks for the post and your insights:  The air intake 90`s down on the 2011 Tucson similar to Santa Fe.  I like the concept of a deflector, I will investigate  further.  Like you mentioned, the storm was not that bad but We drove round-trip from Edmundston to Bathurst in the same day on business.  At least we have minimized the risk of this re-occurring to the level we had it by having a back-up air filter in the vehicle in the winter.  I am ot banking too much on Huyndai to admit and mitigate this problem which happened to others too...

mark@mfrltd.com

Finaly, received a call from my Hyundai service manager.  He recently attended a seminar and they had my photos (air filter and air box packed with snow) up for discussion.  Hyundai are currently working on a permanent solution to resolve this snow accumulation issue.  They are looking at some mods to the ducting upstream of the air filter compartment.  Stay tuned.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Thanks for the update.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Interesting. I wonder if my Sportage is also vulnerable to this problem? After 5 years of ownership, nothing to report on that front, and we've driven it in pretty bad temperatures, including this past february for over an hour while it was snowing a lot with close to 1 foot of snow on the road for most of the way. Good to hear that Hyundai's taking this problem seriously and looking into a solution!

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=148066&Number=2162964#Post2162964

Here is my thread on BITOG on the trip I did in heavy snow from Plattsburg, NY to Montreal this past winter with underhood photo when I got home.

No check engine light or driveability issue but it scared the hell out of me as the engine temp crept higher and higher cause the front end and radiator got packed with snow.

If it wasn't for my ScanGauge, I probably would have noticed nothing of this because the temp needle is "engineered" to sit right at or below the halfway point of the gauge, which it did the whole way unless it gets way out there.

Still, I wish asian and north american manufacturers would better enclose the engine compartment of their cars like the europeans do.

Morale of all this is that heavy snow can wreak havoc with a car's engine/cooling system and cause driveability/overheating issues more than summer driving.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:40:00 am by Minou »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Similar problem existed with first year Ford Focus. For 2001 (or maybe 2002), the intake opening had a small deflector so it wouldn't fill with snow.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
Wow, very interesting thread and glad I came across it. We will keep an eye out in our Santa Fe for this issue in winter driving. My folks live up past North Bay so a few weekends every winter we make the 5-6 hour drive. If it's snowing that bad we usually postpone though.

Offline boucivicsir

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: accord 04, legacy w/sti engine 03, sportage '13 (girlfriend)
please see the tread in other forum
my screen name is Etienne Boulanger
we had the same problem on last week.
hyundai are playing stupid with us.

.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/127122-air-intake-packs-snow.html     just add w w w in front of this link

we called around 3 dealers and they all had customers who had this problem this winter.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata

Offline boucivicsir

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: accord 04, legacy w/sti engine 03, sportage '13 (girlfriend)
probably the best answer so far  haha