Author Topic: Used luxury SUV  (Read 8813 times)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
Used luxury SUV
« on: February 20, 2021, 02:53:31 am »
I am helping my dad search for a luxury SUV to replace his Audi A4. He is looking for something with a bit more room and versatility of a hatch. Budget is up to $25,000 with something with around 80,000 to 100,000 km.

He was leaning toward an Audi Q5 but reliability on these seem hit and miss (to be expected). He is looking to keeping it for a long time, so I suggested to look at a Lexus RX350. The high resale value on the RX makes it hard to find a "deal", but it is understandable given the reliability and track record of the vehicle and nameplate.

Others for the list are as follows:
- Audi Q5
- Acura MDX. Probably too big for his needs with the 3rd row, but I've read that the pre-2014 models drive well with the SH-AWD system.
- Porsche Cayenne. A lot of vehicle for the money on the used market thanks to depreciation, but I would only consider a base model with the V6 over a more complex V8/Turbo.
- Volvo XC60. Can't seem to find much on how these hold up. I am guessing nothing stellar. I can find well equipped T6 models in the low $20s which is appealing.

Overall, I think the RX is the safest best. The driving dynamics might not be good as other options, but it seems like a pretty foolproof option with high reliability and resale.

Any others to consider?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Used luxury SUV
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 06:53:18 am »
Given your budget you want to add an Acura RDX to the mix. My daughter bought a 2016 last year in Vancouver. Low mileage (35,000) car that went for mid 20's. The second generation (2013-2018 with a 2016 facelift) still had the V6. In terms of size they kind of straddle the compact/mid-size line. In my mind they offer pretty good value in this market segment.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:58:28 am »
Agreed, the previous generation RDX is a solid used value.

They seemed to lease a ton of them so there's lots of 3-4 year old low mileage examples available.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 08:32:49 am »
If you're going to look at the RDX, might as well look at the Lexus NX
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 08:41:22 am »
Can you get a nx for $25,000  ???

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:49:49 am »
Something that is near luxury and worth a look would be the Nissan Murano.  I think it offers a lot of value and a good amount of luxury for the $$.

I have heard the Cayenne has been pretty reliable and would be the German SUV that I would get for long term ownership.  I don't know if the V6 is any less reliable or lower maintenance than the V8.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:34:54 am »

Unfortunately not. Here in Vancouver area they are going for into the low $30s.

They seemed to lease a ton of them so there's lots of 3-4 year old low mileage examples available.

I was actually meaning to put the RDX on the list. I like the V6 option over a turbocharged 4-cylinder.
Something that is near luxury and worth a look would be the Nissan Murano.  I think it offers a lot of value and a good amount of luxury for the $$.

I have heard the Cayenne has been pretty reliable and would be the German SUV that I would get for long term ownership.  I don't know if the V6 is any less reliable or lower maintenance than the V8.

The problem with the Murano is the CVT. I think they had issues, but maybe the later models have been sorted out by now. I also don't feel that Nissan reliability is really where it used to be.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04:09 am »

Unfortunately not. Here in Vancouver area they are going for into the low $30s.

I was actually meaning to put the RDX on the list. I like the V6 option over a turbocharged 4-cylinder.

The problem with the Murano is the CVT. I think they had issues, but maybe the later models have been sorted out by now. I also don't feel that Nissan reliability is really where it used to be.
Obviously the best for reliability will be Lexus, followed by Acura, but I would put the Morano ahead of any German or Sweden vehicle.  We have two friends with 10+ year old Muranos that have been remarkably reliable.  Just a thought.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 11:18:20 am »
If he wants a Cayenne, get a Cayenne.  Cayenne V6 is the Volkswagen VR6.   V8 makes great V8 noises though and hauls a$$.

If it doesn't matter, I'd get the RDX.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 06:50:15 pm »

I cross shopped the NX before landing on the Q5, I liked it but found it tight inside and limited space behind the rear seats.. but a great choice if those things don't matter

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 07:38:57 pm »
We tried the Murano, the RDX, the NX, and both gens of RX before settling on our 17 RX

I'd say the Murano is the closest in terms of overall feel to the RX, but the reliability question sank it. Lots seem to have good luck with them, but all the mechanics we knew just made boom noises

The NX was too small and rough riding for us and my wife didn't like the interior of the RDX, drove nice though

The '13 to '15 RX's all had the bank vault Lexus feeling, I preferred the ones with the 'chin', either the F-sports or the 2015's. The hybrids drove the best, both more torque initially and more weight down low, but the V6 is quite good. The interior is more modern on the 2016's on, but other than that and more safety gear they basically drive the same. Really pays to check the accident history though, lots had been damaged

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:24:13 pm »

No you shouldn't. The NX is a 2.0-liter turbo and isn't nearly as nice as the RDX. The infotainment is infuriating and the powertrain is unrefined. Plus, you aren't getting a decent one for $25,000.

I'd say an RDX or even a previous-gen Infiniti QX50, but would stay away from the Germans. The 2.0-liter X3 would probably be an N20, which are notoriously unreliable, and the Audi Q5's 2.0-turbo is known to burn oil. The QX50's 3.7-liter V6 and hydraulic steering make it a fun driver, but definitely a fuel hog when compared to an RX or even the RDX.

My finalists in this price range for a "luxury" SUV would be, in the following order, RX, RDX, QX50. I wouldn't even look at anything else.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:25:55 pm by TheHire »
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 08:28:59 pm »
We tried the Murano, the RDX, the NX, and both gens of RX before settling on our 17 RX

I'd say the Murano is the closest in terms of overall feel to the RX, but the reliability question sank it. Lots seem to have good luck with them, but all the mechanics we knew just made boom noises

The NX was too small and rough riding for us and my wife didn't like the interior of the RDX, drove nice though

The '13 to '15 RX's all had the bank vault Lexus feeling, I preferred the ones with the 'chin', either the F-sports or the 2015's. The hybrids drove the best, both more torque initially and more weight down low, but the V6 is quite good. The interior is more modern on the 2016's on, but other than that and more safety gear they basically drive the same. Really pays to check the accident history though, lots had been damaged

Good to know. We went and looked at a few today. Both were 2014s. Vancouver car lots are so shady. Despite a "clean" Carfax I could immediately tell previous damage on the passenger door by the orange peal and overspray on the rear quarter panel.

Overall, he is quite impressed. Decent pickup and very comfortable and compliant ride. The reclining and sliding rear seat is nice touch.  I was thinking it the RX be softly sprung and ponderous, but felt it was perfectly adequate.

We also looked at an RDX, 2016, with the Tech package. He found it hard to get seated comfortably with the seat height and overall, it wasn't quite as refined in the interior and luxury feel as the RX. It definitely had a sharper steering response and ride.

Going to look at a few more tomorrow. 2014 and 2015. One is an F-Sport. From what I can tell, the biggest change on the F-Sport is the 8-speed auto. Not sure if it is worth the slight premium over a Premium or Touring. Seems like most RXs hold their value so well, it is hard to loose on either one.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 09:21:39 pm »
There's a few things that vary on the RX's over the years. I dug into this a bit when we were looking, might be handy for you. A lot of times ads would get the trim level wrong
We like the park sensors/blind spot, and the heads up display is very good
3M on the hood is also useful, as this gen can chip pretty badly without it

Regular Base
Not sure if there is a lot of these

Regular Premium
Adds heated and cooled seats (which are awesome) drivers seat memory, sunroof, etc
Believe both this and the base have the simpler non mouse based control system, smaller screen

Regular Touring
The above plus parking sensors, blind spot monitor, heated wheel, navigation

Regular Tech
Adds Mark Levinson sound, heads up display, thigh support

Fsport series I
8 speed, slightly harder suspension, dark wheels, aluminum trim inside, 'chin' front

Fsport series 2
The above plus heads up display, park sensors, likely the Mark Levinson

Sportdesign
All have the bigger screen now, moonroof, heated/cooled seats, 'chin' front

Touring
Adds park sensors, blind spot monitoring, heated wheel, nav

Tech
To above adds Mark Levinson, Heads up display

Fsport
All are series 2 now with Mark Levinson, blind spot, park sensors, heads up

ltruong

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 09:49:23 pm »
Lexus RX,. vW Touareg. Or maybe a Top trim cx5.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 07:16:24 am »
How big is your dad ?
If he is a big guy anything smaller than an RX he might find uncomfortable

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 07:43:49 pm »
We went and looked at another RX at a Lexus dealership. This one is a 2016. Even though it is a base model, it appears to have more features/equipment than the fully equipped 2014 Touring we looked at yesterday.

They had just brought it in on trade so was still getting serviced to be prepared for sale. Ended up test-driving a 2017 with same equipment. Very nice drive. The 8-speed is definitely snappier off the line compared to the 6-speed. Ride was firmer than the 2014s we drove yesterday. Really liked the interior. Very polished and clean design.

I think he will likely pull the trigger on the 2016. It is a bit more $$ than the previous generation, but overall, a really nice driving experience.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:45:53 pm by marcus_go »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 07:45:00 pm »
How big is your dad ?
If he is a big guy anything smaller than an RX he might find uncomfortable

He is 5'8", but even the RDX felt noticeably tighter than the RX after driving both back to back.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 07:51:09 pm »
Mazda. Got the looks and reliability and can get a newer SUV for same money.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 01:20:39 pm »
We went and looked at another RX at a Lexus dealership. This one is a 2016. Even though it is a base model, it appears to have more features/equipment than the fully equipped 2014 Touring we looked at yesterday.

They had just brought it in on trade so was still getting serviced to be prepared for sale. Ended up test-driving a 2017 with same equipment. Very nice drive. The 8-speed is definitely snappier off the line compared to the 6-speed. Ride was firmer than the 2014s we drove yesterday. Really liked the interior. Very polished and clean design.

I think he will likely pull the trigger on the 2016. It is a bit more $$ than the previous generation, but overall, a really nice driving experience.

I think the base has back park sensors and blind spot but no front. Believe the smaller control screen too maybe. The 2017 base gained radar cruise, automatic emergency braking

But yeah, much nicer interior and the 8 speed. Very, very nice vehicles, we have been super happy with ours so far