Author Topic: Toyota Cablegate  (Read 7114 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Toyota Cablegate
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:49:42 pm »
Toyota gives in (at least partially) on replacing cable  on PHEV's

https://www.apa.ca/newsitem.asp?id=1396
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Cablegate
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:07:21 pm »
This is major recall territory not ‘replace the part’ and you are good to go…the problem will continue to occur till a full redesign of the unit is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 08:50:17 pm »
The same article mentions the new Toyota Corolla Cross hybrid has this connector accessible from the trunk area, so they have flipped it over. For many of their existing hybrids I would expect an eventual recall.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 08:45:11 am »
This paper confirms how stubborn Toyota is with warranty claims:

https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/chroniques/2023-05-02/les-petits-secrets-de-toyota.php

Worth a read and/or a run through Google translate...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 03:12:44 pm »
Got a letter from Toyota Canada. The cable and harness are now covered for 8 years / 160,000 km.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 03:30:14 pm »
Got a letter from Toyota Canada. The cable and harness are now covered for 8 years / 160,000 km.

is it being replaced too?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 03:41:38 pm »

is it being replaced too?

No, I guess there is no need to replace a working cable. However if a 'hybrid system malfunction' message is displayed, they advise to have the car inspected by a dealer.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 09:40:56 am »
I was at the local Toyota dealer this week setting up a service appointment for the GH and happened to bump into my salesman. The GTI lease is up in April next year and I am contemplating a total change of direction by potentially replacing it with the new all hybrid Camry. The salesman said that there is already a 6-12 month long waiting list for the new base trim i.e. SE FWD. For me the base is the preferred trim, because it does not have any rear wheel cable issues and being base it has the smallest rim/tire combo (205/65-16) with the cushiest sidewall rubber. The upper trims top out at 235-40/19!! Totally unnecessary on what is essentially a family sedan.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 08:19:41 pm »
I was at the local Toyota dealer this week setting up a service appointment for the GH and happened to bump into my salesman. The GTI lease is up in April next year and I am contemplating a total change of direction by potentially replacing it with the new all hybrid Camry. The salesman said that there is already a 6-12 month long waiting list for the new base trim i.e. SE FWD. For me the base is the preferred trim, because it does not have any rear wheel cable issues and being base it has the smallest rim/tire combo (205/65-16) with the cushiest sidewall rubber. The upper trims top out at 235-40/19!! Totally unnecessary on what is essentially a family sedan.

Wow. Already up to a year wait.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 08:26:45 pm »

Which is ridiculous because its a fackin' Camry. I am still baffled at how Toyota has not fixed its supply issue yet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 08:45:02 pm »

Which is ridiculous because its a fackin' Camry. I am still baffled at how Toyota has not fixed its supply issue yet.
There's nothing wrong with the Camry supply chain.

They sold 300k in 2022 and again in 2023. Plant has a capacity of about 500k TOTAL vehicles divided by 3 models that run on the lines.

They need to ramp the new model up, that's all.

OR

The demand/orders exceeds plant capacity.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 09:09:31 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 10:53:18 pm »
Hopefully they get production up. Camry is still an important model.

On a similar note, the Prius has a stop sale recall due to rear door handle issue. I believe they stopped production in Japan as a result until the solution is implemented. Looks like I might be waiting longer for my Prime as a result.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2024, 12:12:07 am »

I don't know what the issue is, maybe it's just production capacity. What I do know is that since the pandemic, all new Toyota models on delivery get only one key fob. The second fob is delayed by 6-9 months, in the interim you have to manage with just the one, or try the digital key in the app. I got the GH in February and I met another customer in the dealership who took delivery of a vehicle in October and got his second fob this month. The VW GLI we took delivery off, also in February had no issues with two key fobs. I have not heard of any other manufacturer with this problem either.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 12:27:21 am »

I don't know what the issue is, maybe it's just production capacity. What I do know is that since the pandemic, all new Toyota models on delivery get only one key fob. The second fob is delayed by 6-9 months, in the interim you have to manage with just the one, or try the digital key in the app. I got the GH in February and I met another customer in the dealership who took delivery of a vehicle in October and got his second fob this month. The VW GLI we took delivery off, also in February had no issues with two key fobs. I have not heard of any other manufacturer with this problem either.

Canada must get a lot less allocations. This makes sense given our smaller population, however, I am not sure how feasible it is for people to wait 6, 12 or even 18 months for a vehicle.  I am sure Toyota is selling everything they can make but at the same, they must be losing customers who simply can't wait that long and look elsewhere.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 04:40:32 am »

Canada must get a lot less allocations.

No doubt.

We're not a top 10 automotive market.

California alone sells more cars than all of Canada.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 04:43:08 am by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 05:15:10 am »
I am sure Toyota is selling everything they can make but at the same, they must be losing customers who simply can't wait that long and look elsewhere.

Yup.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 08:42:52 am »
So if Toyota increased production of the Camry by 10% you would only have to wait 5 months instead of 6 months for your car. Don't think Toyota cares and are happy selling every hybrid model and having a 6+ month waiting list. Only the RAV4 outsells it.

When I'm traveling in the USA I see a tonne of Camrys everywhere. I think the Hybrid Camry is amazing value and has to be one of the most fuel efficient cars out there, even better than a Corolla (gas or hybrid). That is pretty amazing.

2025 numbers aren't out yet but don't think they changed much.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 08:53:59 am »
So if Toyota increased production of the Camry by 10% you would only have to wait 5 months instead of 6 months for your car.

That plant also produces the RAV4 hybrid! So they won't decrease RAV4 hybrid production 10 percent to boost Camry production IMO.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 08:56:38 am »
So if Toyota increased production of the Camry by 10% you would only have to wait 5 months instead of 6 months for your car. Don't think Toyota cares and are happy selling every hybrid model and having a 6+ month waiting list. Only the RAV4 outsells it.

When I'm traveling in the USA I see a tonne of Camrys everywhere. I think the Hybrid Camry is amazing value and has to be one of the most fuel efficient cars out there, even better than a Corolla (gas or hybrid). That is pretty amazing.

One day in the local paper a "green economics" piece by a French expat editor who hates cars cited a piece done by other non-car people whose math showed the Camry Hybrid being the cleanest car available for sale in North America, based on its total climate footprint - ahead of all EV's.

I drove three previous-gen cars, one awd XLE (full RAV4 gas drivetrain) and two Hybrids (SE and XSE). The hybrids were more refined, with less engine noise than the gasser. But as the Hybrid gave me numbers in the high 8's (January, in town) the gasser impressed me by being in the 7's (open road, fall).

A Camry ain't an M3, but it's a 400,000 km, 12 year car easily.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=116114.0

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=112658.0

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 11:09:10 am »

One day in the local paper a "green economics" piece by a French expat editor who hates cars cited a piece done by other non-car people whose math showed the Camry Hybrid being the cleanest car available for sale in North America, based on its total climate footprint - ahead of all EV's.

I drove three previous-gen cars, one awd XLE (full RAV4 gas drivetrain) and two Hybrids (SE and XSE). The hybrids were more refined, with less engine noise than the gasser. But as the Hybrid gave me numbers in the high 8's (January, in town) the gasser impressed me by being in the 7's (open road, fall).

A Camry ain't an M3, but it's a 400,000 km, 12 year car easily.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=116114.0

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=112658.0
I have a buddy with a 2012 with 1.2 million...