Author Topic: Family Sedan Suggestions  (Read 23758 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 07:38:06 pm »
Some space is good.

But like money, more is usually better. :)

Yea, but at what cost to you, the driver?  I'd rather roll around in an IS (or other sport sedan) with slightly less leg room for the kids in the back (which they could care less about) than a Camry, Accord, etc..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:43 pm »
The space question is a good one. If one is looking for a family sedan than I'd agree the mid-sized segment is the way to go, especially as the kids go through their teen years – our Accord and the 2 E Classers were the right size for us and our 2 man-sized boys.

However, these days I rarely have more than 2 people in my car (rarely more than just me actually) so I'm rethinking the size thing.

IS sized cars strike me as decent for a single or a couple who rarely ever need a back seat. As RR points out, the smaller, lighter car comes with handling advantages.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:33 pm »
Some space is good.

Yea, but at what cost to you, the driver?  I'd rather roll around in an IS (or other sport sedan) with slightly less leg room for the kids in the back (which they could care less about) than a Camry, Accord, etc..

IS vs Accord is not really the correct comparison though for most people.

Anyways, to each their own. Pretty much every car has to do a balancing act of compromises. If you find the IS350 is the right balance for you, then great. For my needs the TL and the V60 come closer to hitting the right balance (both individually and as a complementary pair) than either the current or previous generation IS.

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »

IS sized cars strike me as decent for a single or a couple who rarely ever need a back seat. As RR points out, the smaller, lighter car comes with handling advantages.

Our IS is used daily with the young lad in the back seat.  He's 11 now and there's plenty of legroom for him....I mean, how much legroom is needed for a trip to school, sports, etc??  In all the years of him traveling in the IS (with many trip to TO to visit family), I have yet to hear him complain about legroom.  We even take him to school/sports in the 911, which he likes.  Now that car is definitely lacking in legroom (obviously), but again..more than enough legroom for a kid for a trip to wherever he needs to go.

YMMV.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 08:45:43 pm »
It is not exactly a sedan by definition, it sits only 4. May I suggest you to give a test drive to a Chevy Volt ?

I'm a former Volt owner, I drove that incredible car for 2.5 years and the only way to understand how different it is, you have to drive one yourself.

Instant torque responsiveness, road handling & braking, absence a NVH (Noise, vibration, and harshness) when you're stalled in traffic = quietness, very good traction control in the snow, low center of gravity, operating cost for me was a $1 hydro-electricity / day (YMMV). I averaged a lifetime 0.8 L/100 km because 88% were e-km, the balance on gas were for long drive week-end. I now switched to full EV with the DCFC option (DC Fast Charger) as much I delighted the e-drive behind the wheel of the Volt...

Ok, you wrote $33K all in. If you took out the 15% HST, it is +/- $28.7K before taxes. Within this price range, a lightly used, devaluated Volt is a good option imho.

If I do a quick check at my preferred Chevrolet dealer (they sold one Volt to a guy in BC, he flew in and drove across the country back to home), their online inventory shows 24 used Volt below $28K (28 under $30K). They are very good at it.

Think about it !

By definition a sedan has to seat 5?  Or do you mean it's a hatch due to the way the trunk opens?

I'm in the market for a new mid-sized sedan as a replacement for the Pointblank-mobile (my RAV4).

Details: My budget is around $33,000 all in. I'm driving it primarily to work and back in Vancouver, about 11km one way. I'm looking for a quiet, fairly roomy sedan that handles well within the budget range.

He is looking for a mid-sized sedan ... I meant, obviously the Volt is not a sedan, it is a hatch with 4 seats, just in case he had 5 in his mind  :idea:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:51:59 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 11:45:45 pm »

Our IS is used daily with the young lad in the back seat.  He's 11 now and there's plenty of legroom for him....I mean, how much legroom is needed for a trip to school, sports, etc??  In all the years of him traveling in the IS (with many trip to TO to visit family), I have yet to hear him complain about legroom.  We even take him to school/sports in the 911, which he likes.  Now that car is definitely lacking in legroom (obviously), but again..more than enough legroom for a kid for a trip to wherever he needs to go.

YMMV.

Fair enough.  Your kid's only 11 though.  He probably hasn't hit his first growth spurt yet.  My boy is 13 now.  He's grown substantially in the last couple of years and does find legroom to be an issue.  Well, at least he did in our old car, especially seeing as I'm 6'1" and have the seat almost all the way back.  I would consider his legroom in the Altima to be sufficient.  More would be nice, but I don't think we could stick him with any less.

Also, we only have the one car.  When we did our trip from Winnipeg to Calgary in November, we sure were glad to have a little extra space.  For my budget, I will sacrifice some driving dynamics in order to have enough room for the entire family.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 11:47:31 pm »

YMMV.

Fair enough.  Your kid's only 11 though.  He probably hasn't hit his first growth spurt yet.  My boy is 13 now.  He's grown substantially in the last couple of years and does find legroom to be an issue.  Well, at least he did in our old car, especially seeing as I'm 6'1" and have the seat almost all the way back.  I would consider his legroom in the Altima to be sufficient.  More would be nice, but I don't think we could stick him with any less.

Also, we only have the one car.  When we did our trip from Winnipeg to Calgary in November, we sure were glad to have a little extra space.  For my budget, I will sacrifice some driving dynamics in order to have enough room for the entire family.

Yea...not sure what the growth spurt will hold.  Even so, I can't see us replacing our cars because of a growth spurt. I guess we're horrible parents.   ;D

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:46 am »
It is not exactly a sedan by definition, it sits only 4. May I suggest you to give a test drive to a Chevy Volt ?

I'm a former Volt owner, I drove that incredible car for 2.5 years and the only way to understand how different it is, you have to drive one yourself.

Instant torque responsiveness, road handling & braking, absence a NVH (Noise, vibration, and harshness) when you're stalled in traffic = quietness, very good traction control in the snow, low center of gravity, operating cost for me was a $1 hydro-electricity / day (YMMV). I averaged a lifetime 0.8 L/100 km because 88% were e-km, the balance on gas were for long drive week-end. I now switched to full EV with the DCFC option (DC Fast Charger) as much I delighted the e-drive behind the wheel of the Volt...

Ok, you wrote $33K all in. If you took out the 15% HST, it is +/- $28.7K before taxes. Within this price range, a lightly used, devaluated Volt is a good option imho.

If I do a quick check at my preferred Chevrolet dealer (they sold one Volt to a guy in BC, he flew in and drove across the country back to home), their online inventory shows 24 used Volt below $28K (28 under $30K). They are very good at it.

Think about it !

By definition a sedan has to seat 5?  Or do you mean it's a hatch due to the way the trunk opens?

I'm in the market for a new mid-sized sedan as a replacement for the Pointblank-mobile (my RAV4).

Details: My budget is around $33,000 all in. I'm driving it primarily to work and back in Vancouver, about 11km one way. I'm looking for a quiet, fairly roomy sedan that handles well within the budget range.

He is looking for a mid-sized sedan ... I meant, obviously the Volt is not a sedan, it is a hatch with 4 seats, just in case he had 5 in his mind  :idea:

The Volt is MUCH more roomy inside then the IS.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »
Some space is good.

:iagree:

My 9, soon to be 10, year old is a few inches shy of 5' and my ATS has enough room for him and the other little one. It's a worthwhile tradeoff for sure.

2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 06:24:07 pm »

The Volt is MUCH more roomy inside then the IS.

That's not my recollection...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 08:18:38 pm »
Legroom is tight in the IS but the trunk is pretty large actually.  Far more than just weekend getaway space for sure, actually we fit 2 weeks luggage for two easily.

But for kids. Leg room is fine,  but a little tight for adults.

Heck when I was younger I remember squishing in ultra tight back seats.  I was just happy to not have to walk.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 08:34:29 pm »
Legroom is tight in the IS but the trunk is pretty large actually.  Far more than just weekend getaway space for sure, actually we fit 2 weeks luggage for two easily.

Heck when I was younger I remember squishing in ultra tight back seats.  I was just happy to not have to walk.
Yea, back leg room is tight.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:36 am »

A little tight?  When I 'sat behind myself' in the IS, well, I couldn't sit behind myself.  I couldn't physically get in the back seat.  I'm 6'-1", which surely is an average height for a Caucasian male these days...

I could fit in the TLX, but just barely.  The TLX is what I would call 'a little tight', as in I had some difficulty getting my shoes in and under the driver's seat, but I eventually got in.  An Accord is 'adequate' as I fit in with zero problems whatsoever.  All these 'descriptions' are sitting behind the driver's seat with it set to my dimensions.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 09:34:03 am »
Average male is 5'-9"  And why must you sit behind yourself?  I don't get this.   Is everyone you know 6-1? 

Snowman is .. 6-3??  He fit in my ISF no problem.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:04 am »
Average male is 5'-9"  And why must you sit behind yourself?  I don't get this.   Is everyone you know 6-1? 

Snowman is .. 6-3??  He fit in my ISF no problem.

Not everyone I know is 6'-1".  HOWEVER, it's my standard, especially considering the 13 y-o who lives in my house and eats all my food will probably be 6' once he turns 15.

When you're a single car family, and you insist on driving Sedans, rear seat space is a rather large consideration.  My point is, there's a decent selection of both Mid-Size Mainstream, AND Mid-size Luxury sedans behind which I CAN sit behind myself, allowing me to rule out the ones in which I can't and still have decent choice.

For the Record, the Fusion was one in which I had difficulty, so it would likely be ruled out on this basis alone as a family car for my family.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:40:20 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:06 am »
He could sit behind the passenger you know ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 10:02:36 am »

^ Exactly.  6'1 is even close to being the average.  With a single car family, a little extra space in the back is understandable, considering you, and your family, are above average height.  But who is in the passenger seat?   I would bet, there are few mid sedans where you can sit behind yourself.  Go for a Passat, Impala, or Avalon.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:23 am »
Average mid-sized car in Italy.  lol

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:27 am »

^ Exactly.  6'1 is even close to being the average.  With a single car family, a little extra space in the back is understandable, considering you, and your family, are above average height.  But who is in the passenger seat?   I would bet, there are few mid sedans where you can sit behind yourself.  Go for a Passat, Impala, or Avalon.

I did mention there are mid-sizers behind which I do fit.  The Accord, Altima, Camry, TLX, etc. are all vehicles which meet my requirements. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 10:47:53 am »

I did mention there are mid-sizers behind which I do fit.  The Accord, Altima, Camry, TLX, etc. are all vehicles which meet my requirements.

Well with the Accord, you said adequate.  So I wasn't sure what that meant.  Around here, adequate never seems to be enough....