Author Topic: Family Sedan Suggestions  (Read 23993 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 09:59:51 pm »
These aren't the same CVT's they have made before.

???

Lost for words ??? How unlike you?  Yes Honda does have experience with CVTs, if your interested, do some research.  I am just saying the CVT in the Accord is not like the ones they have may in the past, so they can't be compared.  So I would not call a Honda, a Toyota, a GM reliable until it has proven itself.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 10:06:18 pm »
Yes Honda does have experience with CVTs, if your interested, do some research.  I am just saying the CVT in the Accord is not like the ones they have may in the past, so they can't be compared

I'm not the one that continually brings BS into conversations.  What previous CVTs are you referring to?  You made the claim about prior "Honda" CVTs .... support it.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 10:33:18 pm »
Will look at the Honda Accord, but I will be wary of the CVT in the Honda; had a neighbour who's Accord's transmission blew up on him.

Assumed you where talking about the CVT.  Works awesome and no reported issues. Try one out.  Only downside is the above average road noise.

No reported issues....yet.  I think it's too early to say they are reliable.  These aren't the same CVT's they have made before.  Not enough time has gone by to declare them reliable.  I would get the extended warranty, if choosing a Honda CVT or 9 speed auto...
It's been on the market for over two years now, volume seller. But ultimately time will tell.
As to extended warranties: if I'm not confident in the quality and I feel I need one, then I'm not buying the car. But that just me.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 09:18:03 am »
Yes Honda does have experience with CVTs, if your interested, do some research.  I am just saying the CVT in the Accord is not like the ones they have may in the past, so they can't be compared

I'm not the one that continually brings BS into conversations.  What previous CVTs are you referring to?  You made the claim about prior "Honda" CVTs .... support it.

How is it BS?  I just said the CVT found in the Accord/Fit/Civic last couple of years are not Hondas first CVTs.  They had them in the Jazz (02-08)

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=94.60

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »
We had a major midsize comparo two years ago (guideautoweb.com - in French), and I drove the entire category, right down to the Kizashi.

Accord Touring 4 cyl. is quite a pkg for 30k$, and it feels richer than it is. The top trim even offers the choice of stick or CVT. I had the CVT Touring for a week, and this tranny turned my opinion around on these boxes. It is very well matched to the engine, unlike what Nissan is doing, or what Subaru was doing (the previous-gen Legacy was horrible to drive and finished 11th out of 12). For about 2k$ less, there's the EX-L, but even the base LX feels upmarket.

For 30k$, there's also the very frugal Accord Hybrid, but your very short commute doesn't make hybrids cost-effective.

Depending on the room you need, top-trim compacts are easier on gas, while still roomy enough. The Civic Touring, for a bit less than 26k$, is a great commuting tool ... and it's Made in Canada.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2015, 02:02:26 pm »
It is not exactly a sedan by definition, it sits only 4. May I suggest you to give a test drive to a Chevy Volt ?

I'm a former Volt owner, I drove that incredible car for 2.5 years and the only way to understand how different it is, you have to drive one yourself.

Instant torque responsiveness, road handling & braking, absence a NVH (Noise, vibration, and harshness) when you're stalled in traffic = quietness, very good traction control in the snow, low center of gravity, operating cost for me was a $1 hydro-electricity / day (YMMV). I averaged a lifetime 0.8 L/100 km because 88% were e-km, the balance on gas were for long drive week-end. I now switched to full EV with the DCFC option (DC Fast Charger) as much I delighted the e-drive behind the wheel of the Volt...

Ok, you wrote $33K all in. If you took out the 15% HST, it is +/- $28.7K before taxes. Within this price range, a lightly used, devaluated Volt is a good option imho.

If I do a quick check at my preferred Chevrolet dealer (they sold one Volt to a guy in BC, he flew in and drove across the country back to home), their online inventory shows 24 used Volt below $28K (28 under $30K). They are very good at it.

Think about it !

Edit: For the peace of minds, the Voltec system has a 8 years / 160,000 km coverage warranty. See under Volt/hybrid tab http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:35:13 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2015, 02:56:47 pm »
How is it BS?  I just said the CVT found in the Accord/Fit/Civic last couple of years are not Hondas first CVTs.  They had them in the Jazz (02-08)

It's BS because it was an absolutely pointless statement pertaining to the CVT in the current Accord. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:44 pm »
I don't know why the OP is bringing doubt of the CVT into the mix anyway.  The Legacy, which is one of the cars he mentioned himself comes with a CVT as the automatic transmission option.  Unless the OP is looking at a manual option in the Legacy, in which case, why not look at the manual Accord?  I just think it's pointless to question the reliability of Honda's CVT without realizing that the Legacy uses a similar transmission.  If anything, Honda has been using a CVT for longer in the Accord (a year or two) than Subaru has in the Legacy.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 06:17:42 pm »

It's BS because it was an absolutely pointless statement pertaining to the CVT in the current Accord.

I guess the Accord is not made by Honda?  I look at the company as a whole when I am interested in a vehicle.  Does the history of Honda transmissions worry me?  Heck yeah! Your statement is pointless!  :P

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 12:36:16 am »
I don't know why the OP is bringing doubt of the CVT into the mix anyway.  The Legacy, which is one of the cars he mentioned himself comes with a CVT as the automatic transmission option.  Unless the OP is looking at a manual option in the Legacy, in which case, why not look at the manual Accord?  I just think it's pointless to question the reliability of Honda's CVT without realizing that the Legacy uses a similar transmission.  If anything, Honda has been using a CVT for longer in the Accord (a year or two) than Subaru has in the Legacy.

The issue is that Honda has been notorious with producing a real stinker with their transmissions after a major redesign, and the Accord had a major redesign, especially to the mechanical parts. For Subaru, the CVT carries over from the previous generation, and I haven't heard anything wrong with the CVT ever since it was introduced.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 08:38:52 am »
^ Exactly Subaru has way more experience, and stats to backup the intregity of their CVTs. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 02:56:23 pm »
Wing bought a cherry IS-F for quite a bit under that budget with low kms and in great shape.  I'd rather have that, or an IS350, than anything new in the Family Sedan class.  I know I trudge around in a boring-as-hell Highlander all winter, but if I didn't have my Miata for the other 7 months, I'd have to have something more fun for daily use.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 04:57:03 pm »
^ Exactly Subaru has way more experience, and stats to backup the intregity of their CVTs.

Bur Subaru is quite a bit less reliable than either Honda or Toyota.  And he said he likes to keep his cars a long time.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 07:39:27 pm »
Wing bought a cherry IS-F for quite a bit under that budget with low kms and in great shape.  I'd rather have that, or an IS350, than anything new in the Family Sedan class.  I know I trudge around in a boring-as-hell Highlander all winter, but if I didn't have my Miata for the other 7 months, I'd have to have something more fun for daily use.

Have you gone to a Lexus dealer and sat in an IS350?  I have.  They're beautiful cars, but deceptively small.  I cannot sit behind myself in an IS, something I can do with ease in all the major mainstream sedans.  A family sedan an IS is not.  More like a retired couple's car with occasional back-seat use only.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:26 pm »
Another vote for the 200S or maybe Limited. Drove one a week or two back and I was very impressed. Chrysler seems to be very motivated to sell them, so there are great deals to be had.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:30 pm »
It is not exactly a sedan by definition, it sits only 4. May I suggest you to give a test drive to a Chevy Volt ?

I'm a former Volt owner, I drove that incredible car for 2.5 years and the only way to understand how different it is, you have to drive one yourself.

Instant torque responsiveness, road handling & braking, absence a NVH (Noise, vibration, and harshness) when you're stalled in traffic = quietness, very good traction control in the snow, low center of gravity, operating cost for me was a $1 hydro-electricity / day (YMMV). I averaged a lifetime 0.8 L/100 km because 88% were e-km, the balance on gas were for long drive week-end. I now switched to full EV with the DCFC option (DC Fast Charger) as much I delighted the e-drive behind the wheel of the Volt...

Ok, you wrote $33K all in. If you took out the 15% HST, it is +/- $28.7K before taxes. Within this price range, a lightly used, devaluated Volt is a good option imho.

If I do a quick check at my preferred Chevrolet dealer (they sold one Volt to a guy in BC, he flew in and drove across the country back to home), their online inventory shows 24 used Volt below $28K (28 under $30K). They are very good at it.

Think about it !

Edit: For the peace of minds, the Voltec system has a 8 years / 160,000 km coverage warranty. See under Volt/hybrid tab http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Cool suggestion!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 10:06:07 pm »

Have you gone to a Lexus dealer and sat in an IS350?  I have.  They're beautiful cars, but deceptively small.  I cannot sit behind myself in an IS, something I can do with ease in all the major mainstream sedans.  A family sedan an IS is not.  More like a retired couple's car with occasional back-seat use only.

Yep. The new one is better but its still a very, very small car. If you do not need back seats, it is fine. Essentially its a 1-person shipping crate with entertainment and luxury for Monday to Friday, and a roadtrip car for DINKs with a weekend's luggage.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:50 pm »

Think about it !

By definition a sedan has to seat 5?  Or do you mean it's a hatch due to the way the trunk opens?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2015, 04:49:40 pm »

Yep. The new one is better but its still a very, very small car. If you do not need back seats, it is fine. Essentially its a 1-person shipping crate with entertainment and luxury for Monday to Friday, and a roadtrip car for DINKs with a weekend's luggage.

You can definitely get by in an IS with a child with ease.  Ask me how I know...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:23 pm »
Some space is good.

But like money, more is usually better. :)