Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 734751 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2016, 05:11:31 pm »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2016, 05:26:33 pm »

i repeat, i'm not a electric car slappy, far from it but the bolt has got my attention.  it's like the smartphone or digital photography.  i'd say the next 5 years is going to be very interesting.

Yes.  It will be interesting.  It will all revolve around pricing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2016, 07:05:13 pm »

i repeat, i'm not a electric car slappy, far from it but the bolt has got my attention.  it's like the smartphone or digital photography.  i'd say the next 5 years is going to be very interesting.

Yes.  It will be interesting.  It will all revolve around pricing.

what i've observed is, new technology's adpotion rate follows an exponential path.  i.e. at first traction remains quite slow for a period, but eventually it accelerates over time. the mistake a lot of people make is based on an axiomatic one, the assumption that adoption of new tech is linear.  i've watched this in the film industry.  kodak was destroyed by this.   both google and apple have hired thousands of engineers to build electric cars.  the indicators are all pointing toward a massive change.  even miners of lithium are in discussions with Tesla and other OEMs about supplies.

Well yes.  But the end user doesn't care about any of that.  All they care about is "how much?".  I think the Prius is a good example of this.  With the price point of a Prius, most anyone can afford a hybrid/green tech if they desire.  And once EVs get into that price range, it will nearly be game over for gasoline economy cars. 

The pricing just isn't there yet.  There's a large gap between a $25K car and a $40K car.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2016, 07:55:06 pm »
The pricing just isn't there yet.  There's a large gap between a $25K car and a $40K car.

Yep, as large as the gap between my present Spark EV and my former Volt  ;D

I Love my little run about for my daily commute, fun factor is always there, cost next to nothing to drive and has no exhaust tail pipe but even with the DC fast charge starting to cover most of our highways, my actual EV range (131 km) is somewhat a limiting factor when there is no DCFC, no EVSE L2 or place / time to recharge. For that reason and also about comfort in general: seat, driving aptitude, ride quality, quietness and especially its long distance, no compromise capability, some days I really miss my Volt ...

The future Bolt, Tesla III and others may break the code, over being the 2nd car's family (but the one used & liked the most) to have the potential to become the sole and only car at home, same as the Volt ... 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:04:30 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2016, 08:07:20 pm »

Yep, as large as the gap between my present Spark EV and my former Volt  ;D

I Love my little run about for my daily commute, fun factor is always there, cost next to nothing to drive and has no exhaust tail pipe but even with the DC fast charge starting to cover most of our highways, my actual EV range (131 km) is somewhat a limiting factor when there is no DCFC, no EVSE L2 or place / time to recharge. For that reason and also about comfort in general: seat, driving aptitude, ride quality, quietness and especially its long distance, no compromise capability, some days I really miss my Volt ...

The future Bolt, Tesla III and others may break the code, over being the 2nd car's family (but the one used & liked the most) to have the potential to become the sole and only car at home, same as the Volt ...

You make a great point about infrastructure too.  Just about nothing out this way.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread - Faraday Future is NOW
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2016, 10:11:24 am »
Stupid name if you ask me. I'm actually surprised they went beyond that strange show prototype. But who knows, renting a bunch of bobcats to impress investors can't be too expensive  :P
http://insideevs.com/faraday-future/

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2016, 10:40:07 am »
What a joke , bring in some real cats  :rofl:
https://youtu.be/N2-8-aOM_k0

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Musk the petulant idiot...
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2016, 06:07:37 pm »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: Musk the petulant idiot...
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2016, 06:35:27 pm »
Musk is a petulant idiot...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

Great argument for him having total control over the distribution and sales of his cars.  ::)

Pity the poor Tesla customer that gets on his bad side.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2016, 06:50:08 pm »
Musk is a petulant idiot...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

You may not like him and you are totally free to do so, but I do not know may "iditots" who succeeded in building a multi Billion $ fortune..  ::)

Now just to rub it in Tesla as a brand survives Scion..  ;D  :run:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »

You may not like him and you are totally free to do so, but I do not know may "iditots" who succeeded in building a multi Billion $ fortune..  ::)

Really?  Then you haven't met many people who are very successful business men/women.  Sadly, a large number of them are idiots, assholes, douches, petty, etc.

Don't confuse business savvy with being an idiot or swerver.  Musk is indeed business savvy.

Musk is also a petulant idiot. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:02:15 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2016, 07:54:49 pm »
This incident sounded like the clash of the prima donnas.  It's a cat fight and the biggest ego won.  No soup for you!!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2016, 08:09:02 pm »
Was the event poorly organized? Sounds like it. Do you tell a chef "you should be ashamed of yourself", publicly, and still expect your soup to be served? I think not.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »
Was the event poorly organized? Sounds like it. Do you tell a chef "you should be ashamed of yourself", publicly, and still expect your soup to be served? I think not.

If it was a poorly organized, yes you tell the owner

I did that at a BMW dealer event , emailed the owner told him how his staffed behaved

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »

Not the same. 

It would be more like this.  "Hey, come check out this soup that's super awesome.  You know, the one I conned you into giving me a large deposit for?  You know..my awesome soup that's 3 years late to hit the table?  So please come to my soup get together.  Oh..and don't forget...you won't actually be able smell the soup or taste it.  You'll just be able to look at it.  But I'll still keep your deposit.  Unless you say something bad about me, that is."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:17:58 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2016, 08:17:16 pm »

I did that at a BMW dealer event , emailed the owner told him how his staffed behaved

Did he bar you from buying BMWs?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2016, 08:19:16 pm »

The guy is a blogger and wrote an open letter to Musk, basically telling him "you suck". A personal email would be more appropriate I think.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:22:25 pm by EV Dan »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2016, 08:25:26 pm »
. A personal email would be more appropriate I think.

For someone who's a petty cry baby?  Probably.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:41 pm »
Instead of cancelling his order I would have bougth and given him Sailor's Mercedes, far worse punishment.. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:04 pm »

The guy is a blogger and wrote an open letter to Musk, basically telling him "you suck". A personal email would be more appropriate I think.

So the blogger's tact should have been better, but not Musk's??   ::)