Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 736846 times)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:41 pm »
Well, no thanks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:19:52 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread - i-Car
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:10 am »
(via insideev)
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35280633

"I wasn't expecting that" - Elon Musk (end of first video)

Full interview:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlidB40aoTI
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:10:06 am by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
i've been watching full EV development very keenly the past 6 months.  the bolt has really dropped the gauntlet down now.  the ioniq will really need to hit the 200 mile range to remain competitive.  the i3, in particular because of it's limited range and high price point, is dead in the water after the announcement of the bolt's range.  i'm a little disappointed every OEM has avoided going after the model S size and range.  if chevy is able to make the bolt, they certainly are able make a larger car with the model S range.  i would love to have bought a model S, but that 100k+ dollar intro price kills that hope quickly.  if it was in the 50-60k range i'd go for it. 

i wonder which company will do it first.  i like the audi q6 but i think that will be in the 80k-90k dollar range as well.

It's mostly because they don't sell in large enough number.  They sell in numbers that most people here would call a "flop" if it was Toyota or Honda selling them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »
i've been watching full EV development very keenly the past 6 months.  the bolt has really dropped the gauntlet down now.  the ioniq will really need to hit the 200 mile range to remain competitive.  the i3, in particular because of it's limited range and high price point, is dead in the water after the announcement of the bolt's range.  i'm a little disappointed every OEM has avoided going after the model S size and range.  if chevy is able to make the bolt, they certainly are able make a larger car with the model S range.  i would love to have bought a model S, but that 100k+ dollar intro price kills that hope quickly.  if it was in the 50-60k range i'd go for it. 

i wonder which company will do it first.  i like the audi q6 but i think that will be in the 80k-90k dollar range as well.

It's mostly because they don't sell in large enough number.  They sell in numbers that most people here would call a "flop" if it was Toyota or Honda selling them.

Well up until the bolt, ranges have sucked.  That's why they don't sell.  Or the ranges have sucked and the cars are too small.  In the case of the i3 add too expensive to that list.  The bolt really opens up the question, wtf has every OEM been doing?  if Chevy really wants to go after tesla they need to bring a bigger version of the bolt that matches the model s at a much lower price than the tesla.

The Bolt is still too expensive IMO.  And if you believe GM, the only range you need is 35 miles.    :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2016, 09:04:01 pm »

Well up until the bolt, ranges have sucked.  That's why they don't sell.  Or the ranges have sucked and the cars are too small.  In the case of the i3 add too expensive to that list.  The bolt really opens up the question, wtf has every OEM been doing?  if Chevy really wants to go after tesla they need to bring a bigger version of the bolt that matches the model s at a much lower price than the tesla.

The Bolt is still too expensive IMO.  And if you believe GM, the only range you need is 35 miles.    :rofl2:

The battery pack is costing GM around $9,000 and that is on the cell level, while lots of other electric and electronic components are low volume and model specific. It's nearly a miracle they should turn profit on the Bolt (or will they?) at under 40k MSRP, before rebates.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »

The battery pack is costing GM around $9,000 and that is on the cell level, while lots of other electric and electronic components are low volume and model specific. It's nearly a miracle they should turn profit on the Bolt (or will they?) at under 40k MSRP, before rebates.

I don't think it's going to be under $40K CDN.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:14 pm »
^^^ not very likely with the current CAD. $9000 was based on $145 per kWh GM claimed they are getting from LG, obviously US$.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2016, 10:04:36 pm »
We've saved $1000 in fuel (gas cost - electricity cost) over the past 6 months of driving our Tesla compared to the SUV we traded in.  At $2000 savings per year (assuming gas and electricity stay same relative cost), we're pretty happy with our purchase.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2016, 10:18:29 pm »
We've saved $1000 in fuel (gas cost - electricity cost) over the past 6 months of driving our Tesla compared to the SUV we traded in.  At $2000 savings per year (assuming gas and electricity stay same relative cost), we're pretty happy with our purchase.

And how much did you have to pay for the privilege of saving $2K per year?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1164
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2016, 09:13:09 am »
The Bolt will be shown at the Toronto auto show. Retail in Canada rumored to start at $41,195 before incentives.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2016, 09:18:00 am »
A lot of Americans seem to agree with Kevlar and Smart Electric..  :D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:29 am »
I remember hearing from GM and other car maker execs that once the gas price is down it's all over for the electric car. I see the rich of this world beg to differ. I wonder what their #1 reason is for going Tesla. My guess would be not gas savings but likely the car's performance and fun factor.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:07 am »
My point was he had an SUV he traded in. He had some equity in that...or possibly it was paid for.

The difference between that and what he ponied up for the Tesla would have paid for fuel for a long time I'm guessing.

Plus he bought his Tesla used. He could have got a used vehicle more luxurious for less...With enough money left over to pay for fuel for a decade or two IMO.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:20:14 am by rrocket »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:33 pm »
When I had the Leaf it was not to save money on gas. It was because I genuinely enjoyed driving it, specially in the city. Now I have a company car so I get to drive what they give me. When that's over, I'm back to driving an EV; no question in my mind.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »
When I had the Leaf it was not to save money on gas. It was because I genuinely enjoyed driving it, specially in the city. Now I have a company car so I get to drive what they give me. When that's over, I'm back to driving an EV; no question in my mind.

Don't be so dramatic.  ;)
Volvo will eventually have to make an EV or have somebody else make it for them and put the Volvo badge.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2016, 02:32:46 pm »

Don't be so dramatic.  ;)

;D It's just that I may retire before the lease of the Volvo is over... ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2016, 03:10:27 pm »
I'm not against saving fuel/environment. But paying a large premium to do so is like stepping over a $100 bill to pick up a loonie on the sidewalk.

For example, when I bought my used hybrid Insight, it cost no more than other compact cars. So it made sense and I saved money.

I'm not against EVs, but it has to make financial and practical sense.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2016, 05:19:50 pm »
We are still free to spend our money how and where we see fit. To each his own! It's Friday! Enjoy!  :cheers:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »
We are still free to spend our money how and where we see fit. To each his own! It's Friday! Enjoy!  :cheers:
Absolutely! !

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2016, 04:49:29 pm »