Author Topic: Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON  (Read 185447 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 01:04:53 pm »
Okay, I'm fackin' pissed at this :censor:!!!  >:(
I can't cancel my eBay account, they won't tell me why I was suspect in the first place, no number to call, so I thought I'd just let it sit and it'd eventually go dormant. Now this?  :banghead: :stfu:

eBay sent this message to siraquaman64@hotmail.com.;(member).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more. 
 Hurry! Message for siraquaman64@hotmail.com. Update Now! 

Dear siraquaman64@hotmail.com,

We are contacting you to remind you that on 4 OCT 2006 we identified some unusual activity in your account coming from a foreign IP address :221.221.200.47 ( IP address located in China ) . We have been notified that a card associated with your account has been reported as lost or stolen and involved in fraudulent transactions, or that there were additional problems with your card.

According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be marked as fraudulent , and will remain open for investigation. You will pay for the fees wich will result from the financial transactions between eBay and FIT ( Fraud Investigations Team ) .

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...

eBay's Privacy Policy and Law Enforcement Disclosure: We care deeply about the privacy of the eBay community and will protect the privacy of our members even while working closely with law enforcement to prevent criminal activity. If you are unsure about our privacy practices, please visit eBay's Privacy Central for more information.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:07:11 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

dorin

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 01:09:54 pm »
Are you sure this email is legit?  If it is, you should have an identical copy in your eBay account.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 01:17:37 pm »
Are you sure this email is legit?  If it is, you should have an identical copy in your eBay account.

Directs me to what looks like the real eBay, but I'm not re-entering my credit card info again.

I called VISA and they see no recent transactions or attempts. I'm not too worried about the credit card at this point. I just wish eBay would go away and agree to close the account.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:24:11 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

dorin

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 01:21:59 pm »
I've seen really convincing-looking spoofs before.  Seriously, just login to your eBay account (type in the eBay URL yourself) and see if you have the same message.  If you don't, then it's just a spoof and you can safely ignore it.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 01:23:56 pm »
sirAqua can't login to his account, its suspended being suspect of a fraudulent transaction.

Quite a conundrum, can't login, can't cancel.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 01:25:28 pm »
I FWed it by copying and pasting to eBay directly for questioning. I wouldn't care about this Chinese activity stuff, except the part phrased "You will pay" and "You will..." this and that.

I found a way to log-in and all I have is '1 alert' and not this. Can't see the previous eMails in my account tho. Ridiculously frustrating dealing with eBay. If I ever want anything off there, I'll gladly pay off one of you folks handsomely to get it for me  :rofl2:

dorin

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 01:32:39 pm »
I can pretty much guarantee it's a spoof.  The language is designed to alarm you and get you to want to "fix" the problem on the spot - and then they get your credit card info.  It's really easy to disguise URLs.  https://signin.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

I've been on eBay for almost 10 years now and I've got a decent track record.  So if you want anything PM me. ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 01:41:23 pm »
I've been on eBay for almost 10 years now and I've got a decent track record.  So if you want anything PM me. ;D

I'll keep that in mind for the future. Where were those weiner metal people BBQ thingies again?  :rofl2:

No, really.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2006, 07:19:02 pm »
Were ya Burned on a err TRANS _ACTION or somefing?..... ::) :P ;D..douse It Sir "AQUA".... :popo:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:25 am »
What are the costs and process for getting it certified and emission tested (or does it need to be emission tested - diesels are just 'visual inspection' so not worried if it does, but don't know)?

Whatever a safety standards certificate costs (varies) plus any repairs needed to pass it.

An E-test will not be required if still within the first year or your two year period. Otherwise, whatever the E-Test costs.

What is the process and cost if I sell 'as-is'?

Well if you are a nice person, you can drive it over to the new owner's place or to a garage of their choice to have the safety inspection performed.

It is up to the buyer to pay for the Safety Standards Certificate, any required repairs and the Used Vehicle Information Package.

IMPORTANT: have the ownership changed into the new owner's name as UNFIT by going with them to the licencing bureau. This relieves you of all responsibility of what the new owner may do with your vehicle once they have it...like driving it without insurance. Never just sign over the ownership and hand it to them and let them drive off. And don't lend your licence plates to the new owner by leaving them on your vehicle till they are done doing with whatever needs doing.

Even if you sell the vehicle certified, go with them to the licencing bureau to have the ownership put in their name on the spot. Don't rely on them doing it within the 7 or 10 days that they have to transfer ownership. The vehicle is still in your name and you will be responsible for anything that is done with it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:27:50 am by hcrv »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

mdxtasy

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 09:30:04 am »
Okay, I'm fackin' pissed at this :censor:!!!  >:(
I can't cancel my eBay account, they won't tell me why I was suspect in the first place, no number to call, so I thought I'd just let it sit and it'd eventually go dormant. Now this?  :banghead: :stfu:

eBay sent this message to siraquaman64@hotmail.com.;(member).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more. 
 Hurry! Message for siraquaman64@hotmail.com. Update Now! 

Dear siraquaman64@hotmail.com,

We are contacting you to remind you that on 4 OCT 2006 we identified some unusual activity in your account coming from a foreign IP address :221.221.200.47 ( IP address located in China ) . We have been notified that a card associated with your account has been reported as lost or stolen and involved in fraudulent transactions, or that there were additional problems with your card.

According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be marked as fraudulent , and will remain open for investigation. You will pay for the fees wich will result from the financial transactions between eBay and FIT ( Fraud Investigations Team ) .

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...

eBay's Privacy Policy and Law Enforcement Disclosure: We care deeply about the privacy of the eBay community and will protect the privacy of our members even while working closely with law enforcement to prevent criminal activity. If you are unsure about our privacy practices, please visit eBay's Privacy Central for more information.

First off, they should know your name.  Secondly, why misspell something in an 'official' letter?

"You will pay for the fees wich will result "

UmroAyyar

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:27 am »
If the message is not in your ebay message box, its a spoof.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2006, 10:24:35 am »
LOL @ 'wich'  :rofl2:

I'm not worrying about it. If I have a further update - which I suspect at some point - I'll happily  >:( update you guys.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2006, 09:23:53 am »
As expected. Official process is to follow as Dorin stated.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or
financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email
to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit
information such as your credit card numbers or passwords. If you are
ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, simply follow these
steps:

1. Open a new Web browser and type www.ebay.com into your browser
address field to go directly to the eBay site.

2. On eBay, click on the "My eBay" link at the top of the page and sign
into your account.

3. Check the "My Messages" link located on the left side of the My eBay
page. If an email affects your eBay account, it's now in "My Messages."
Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay or from
another eBay member via eBay's member-to-member communication system
will also appear in "My Messages."

Just remember, if you get an email regarding a problem with your account
or that is requesting personal information, and the email looks like it
is from eBay, please check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a
fake email.

If you still have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
please forward it to spoof@ebay.com immediately. Do not respond to it or
click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or
change the email in any way when you forward it to eBay.

If you have already entered sensitive personal information, financial
information, or your password into a Web site based on a request from a
spoofed email, you should take immediate action to protect your identity
and all of your online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page
with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect
yourself.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html

To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the
following Web page:

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites,
we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard."
Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal
Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake
eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when
you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard, please go to
www.ebay.com, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then
click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

We also recommend that you keep your browser, operating system, and
virus protection software up to date. Check for updates at the "Windows
Update" link on www.microsoft.com and scan your computer for viruses
often.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ande
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social
Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-protection.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:26:14 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »

UmroAyyar

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2006, 11:14:39 am »
But! they will communicate with you all right, but won't unsuspend or close your account. You are trapped.  ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2006, 11:35:42 am »
But! they will communicate with you all right, but won't unsuspend or close your account. You are trapped.  ;)

Account has got to turn dormant in what... 5-10 years?  :rofl2:

Must... not... log-on...  >:(

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2006, 01:08:18 pm »
"wich".."Wikken" lets call the HOLE thang  err "OFF!!!"......DUNK'in Do NUTZ anyone... ;)..Salem All the Chem...... :P

bak13lan

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2007, 03:01:47 pm »
Two weeks ago I sold my 1994 Mazda 626 "as is". I sold it without being E/Safety certified. A couple of days ago the guy I sold it to calls me and says there are problems with the engine and he wants me to share the cost of repair for him to pass emissions (that particular problem prevents him from passing the test).

I DID NOT go to him to MTO to transfer ownership. What is my potential liability in this case: can he return the car/ am I obligated to refund him/ etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2007, 09:49:05 pm »
You are not obligated at all, but I hope the car is now in his name and not yours.

bak13lan

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2007, 09:28:18 am »
Thanks Wing.

What are the implications if the car is still in my name? And what can I possibly do at this point (I already canceled insurance). That is, can I go to MTO and ask them to revoke my ownership? Thank you.