Author Topic: Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON  (Read 185791 times)

Offline Mach1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Sienna
Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2019, 02:17:41 pm »
Hi. Not sure if posting in the right section. I'm a long time reader of this forum. I learned a lot in all of those years. Thanks for all the info and entertainment. Now my turn to post and ask a question.

I'm about to sell my car privately. I'm from Ontario and the potential buyer is from Quebec. Apparently buyer is coming tomorrow and would like to take the car home with him right away if it meets his expectation. I already advised on cash only, AutoTrader add clearly lists all of the faults and what it needs to pass Safety in Ontario. The ad also says the sale is AS-IS. I already have a UVIP on hand to sign even if he doesn't require it on the QC side to transfer the ownership. Am I missing anything? Have him sign the UVIP, collect the cash, plates etc and off he goes?

What about liability from the time he picks it up and transfer the ownership? Will he have to pretty much call his insurance from my driveway, and then drive off? or do i just don't care and as he will be driving, with proof of vehicle sale.

First time selling a car privately and it might be the last time... so much trouble.

FYI... it is a 2004 Civic LX with 273000 km.... original owner. This car owes nothing to me. Moving on to something else.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2019, 05:40:52 pm »
Make up a second Bill of Sale.  You need to identify the buyer properly.  You need proof of ID.  So kindly ask for his driver's license and copy name, address and DL number on Bill of Sale.  Make sure you state where the Bill of Sale is being signed; an address, municipality, province.  Now date the document with the TIME OF DAY! 

You will be better protected with the above legally.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2019, 05:51:26 pm »
Make up a second Bill of Sale.  You need to identify the buyer properly.  You need proof of ID.  So kindly ask for his driver's license and copy name, address and DL number on Bill of Sale.  Make sure you state where the Bill of Sale is being signed; an address, municipality, province.  Now date the document with the TIME OF DAY! 

You will be better protected with the above legally.

Someone should do up a PDF of a good bill of sale for Ontario, and all the other provinces, and post it as a sticky on the forum.
Now there's something in Autotrader's best interest to do....
Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2019, 06:07:03 pm »
Maybe ALin can do that.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Mach1

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2019, 08:26:40 pm »
Yes thanks. Had everything needed from the MTO website. Common sense kicked in and too much red flags. Told him he is welcome to view the car tomorrow but cant drive away until all paperwork in place. Thanks all.

Offline Mach1

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2019, 09:52:11 am »
Sold! Listed for just under 1 month. Impressive the amount of scam/junk messages you get for a 500$ car. First time selling privately and thought it would be the last, but once a legitimate buyer comes forward, the process is pretty straight forward and will most likely not rule out doing this all over again. Glad too see the car going to someone that will drive it and not to a junk yard. I was the original owner of this 2004 civic... will be hard to let it go.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2022, 12:18:38 pm »
New scam going on when you are selling, heard about it from an acquaintance.

You get an offer, but they need a vehicle report from a website you've never heard of, Carfax isn't good enough for them

The site is the scam, don't give them your info.   Autocarvin.com is one of them

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2023, 09:00:03 am »
Thread necro. Want to see if any process has changed.

Potential buyers coming to see today.

I have to get UVIP still.
Is safety certificate 100% necessary?

Bill of sale: date, time, car/VIN, location, price, buyer name and ID
Bill of sale to be in duplicate (one for me, one for buyer)

Sign over the ownership on back.

I remove my plates and its their problem now.
Call insurance to remove car.

I dont' really want to go to MTO, would rather just do this in front of TD bank or something.

All good? (pending the Q on the safety)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2023, 09:25:28 am »
The safety isn't necessary, the new buyer has 10 days to get one. (https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker)

You don't need to go to the MTO. They will need to bring the transferred ownership to the MTO, along with proof of insurance, to get it registered in their name.

As long as they don't drive it away before registering it in their name you should be good. I think for insurance purposes it's your car until it's registered in their name, regardless of the bill of sale.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 09:33:04 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2023, 10:34:55 am »

I have to get UVIP still.
Is safety certificate 100% necessary?

Safety is not needed to sell, but if it will pass it's worth getting for a better price.
You used to be able to detach your plates and inform Service Ontario, they'd give a refund for unused time still on them.  Don't know if there's any use in doing that now...perhaps just to make sure the car ownership has also been transferred.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2023, 10:38:51 am »
Thanks all.

Just got a good offer on it, however one caveat
Buyer works at a dealer. Will take it as-is without safety on dealer plates.

However he wants the UVIP to be signed without price entered.

Bill of sale will be done with actual price.

What do we think here.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2023, 10:42:48 am »
The safety isn't necessary, the new buyer has 10 days to get one. (https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker)

You don't need to go to the MTO. They will need to bring the transferred ownership to the MTO, along with proof of insurance, to get it registered in their name.

As long as they don't drive it away before registering it in their name you should be good. I think for insurance purposes it's your car until it's registered in their name, regardless of the bill of sale.

Don't need insurance to get it registered in your name, only to license it.   Yes, you do need it for a trip permit, but normally you're just covered under your existing policy on your other vehicle for that time.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2023, 10:44:39 am »
Thanks all.

What do we think here.

You sell it and it's not your problem what they do with it.   They probably want to show the UVIP to potential buyers...but not with what they paid for it shown.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2023, 10:45:47 am »
Thanks all.

What do we think here.
They'll probably put the wholesale price on the UVIP. I wouldn't worry about it, take the money for it if you're happy & what happens afterwards isn't your problem.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2023, 10:49:10 am »

Don't need insurance to get it registered in your name, only to license it.   Yes, you do need it for a trip permit, but normally you're just covered under your existing policy on your other vehicle for that time.

Good info, thanks.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2023, 03:22:16 pm »
#1 and of upmost importance. Get paid first, meaning cash in your account. Then it’s just paperwork.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2023, 09:47:41 pm »
Alright, different buyer but now I got a couple thousand bucks sitting as a deposit in my bank account.

I told the guy I will get a safety for him to make it easier but I'm otherwise putting "as is, no warranty express or implied" on the bill of sale.

Its a little vague as to what happens if something comes up with the safety but I doubt anything major will. :) The Volvo dealer has been over the car just in January and its had <2000 km since then.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2023, 08:46:44 am »
Seems legit. Let me know if you need it safetied in southern ON.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2023, 09:08:38 am »
Seems legit. Let me know if you need it safetied in southern ON.

I would highly recommend this. Leaves no further room for negotiations or anything like that, just paperwork and money transfer.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2023, 02:16:29 pm »
Its a little vague as to what happens if something comes up with the safety but I doubt anything major will. :) The Volvo dealer has been over the car just in January and its had <2000 km since then.

You need to be on them hard.  What Volvo Store hemorrhaging cash isn't likely to juice the bill a wee bit.   Most "safety" items are subjective so beware.

Bill of Sale looks fine.  Dated and time of day; municipality, etc.

But as painful as it is, you both gotta go to Service Ontario, safetied or not to transfer.