Author Topic: Winter tires  (Read 96975 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tires
« Reply #560 on: November 25, 2017, 02:14:06 am »
You don't need a LOT of clearance - just enough ;D  No rubbing, no problem!

Looks fantastic.  Truly set up for the Christmas season  :rofl2:

Meh, even with a bit of rubbing, they will self clearance  ;D

Plus it keeps the snow & ice from building up inside the wheel causing serious imbalance issues.  I hate that.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #561 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:09 pm »
This may be an "interesting" winter. We've only had a couple of days of ice on the road but the Maxima is already struggling for grip on ice when starting/stopping. I have 17" Contintental WinterContact Si tyres.

Are they new?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #562 on: November 28, 2017, 04:06:07 pm »
This may be an "interesting" winter. We've only had a couple of days of ice on the road but the Maxima is already struggling for grip on ice when starting/stopping. I have 17" Contintental WinterContact Si tyres.

Are they new?

Brand new.

ouch!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #563 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:02 pm »
If they are brand spanking new like never been driven on until just before the ice, there will be some break in required to get rid of the slippery mold release.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 28, 2017, 04:18:12 pm »
I had my WS-80's mounted last Thursday.

Compared to the OEM 15" tires there is a negligible tradeoff in handling/ride comfort and virtually no difference in noise.  The handling difference seems to be a bit more lateral motion in quick transitions but once it takes a set it's confidence inspiring.  Impact harshness seems to have increased over rough pavement, not surprising given that the sidewalls seem to be a bit stiffer than the stock tires.

We had a few inches of snow fall this Sunday. It was a cool day so the snow stuck around.  The salt trucks weren't out yet so where the road was packed down ice had formed.  On untracked snow it was still pretty slick.  These tires are incredible.  It was as though there was no snow on the ground.  There was virtually no slippage taking off as you normally would and it took a heavy prod of the brake pedal to get any sort of ABS intervention.

The Golf also seems like it will be a good winter car.  When accelerating hard the traction control was able to put the power down, it felt like the brake vectoring system was helping the car take corners at speed and the steering wasn't upset by slush piles at highway speed.  I am not sure how much of this is due to the TDI engine being over the drive wheels but first impressions indicate it's a way better winter car than the Mazda5.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:20:15 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #565 on: November 28, 2017, 04:22:30 pm »
Yup.  Sounds pretty similar to my experience, but not having t/c on the Mazda3 GX is a little sucky at times.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #566 on: November 28, 2017, 04:25:39 pm »
Yup.  Sounds pretty similar to my experience, but not having t/c on the Mazda3 GX is a little sucky at times.

traction control....you mean a throttle pedal???  ;D ;D

Here is something way better than any computer flicking your brakes off and on

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?vehicle=4&product_type=11&sub_type=16&manufacturer=59&model=418&q=
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 28, 2017, 04:38:42 pm »
traction control....you mean a throttle pedal???  ;D ;D
As I mentioned above,

"Handling while going is actually quite good, but starting from a stop?  Perhaps it's the Mazda 3 (GX, which doesn't have t/c), or the intersections were VERY slippery today, but the tires just wouldn't grip - and we're not talking major hills here."
...I think the bigger blame here is the absence of T/C - once the wheels start spinning, they're slower to calm the :censor: down even after I take my foot off the accelerator.

Here is something way better than any computer flicking your brakes off and on

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?vehicle=4&product_type=11&sub_type=16&manufacturer=59&model=418&q=
Oh yeah...definitely something cheap and easy to tackle...605EUR, installing a limited slip differential.  Yeah, piece of cake.  Now what about that tensioner pulley?   ::)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:40:17 pm by No-san »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
There MIGHT be a slight learning/difficulty curve going from the pulley to this....but think of the benefits man!!!!  :D :D :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 28, 2017, 04:51:03 pm »
We're talking about a Mazda3 GX here.  I think it was something like $1,500 to move to a GS when new.  So, 605 Euro for the differential instead of T/C, alloys instead of steelies, cruise control, heated mirrors, keyless entry, remote trunk release, etc.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone bought a GX at the time.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »
I had my WS-80's mounted last Thursday.

Compared to the OEM 15" tires there is a negligible tradeoff in handling/ride comfort and virtually no difference in noise.  The handling difference seems to be a bit more lateral motion in quick transitions but once it takes a set it's confidence inspiring.  Impact harshness seems to have increased over rough pavement, not surprising given that the sidewalls seem to be a bit stiffer than the stock tires.

We had a few inches of snow fall this Sunday. It was a cool day so the snow stuck around.  The salt trucks weren't out yet so where the road was packed down ice had formed.  On untracked snow it was still pretty slick.  These tires are incredible.  It was as though there was no snow on the ground.  There was virtually no slippage taking off as you normally would and it took a heavy prod of the brake pedal to get any sort of ABS intervention.

The Golf also seems like it will be a good winter car.  When accelerating hard the traction control was able to put the power down, it felt like the brake vectoring system was helping the car take corners at speed and the steering wasn't upset by slush piles at highway speed.  I am not sure how much of this is due to the TDI engine being over the drive wheels but first impressions indicate it's a way better winter car than the Mazda5.

I drove the 128i on its brand new Michelin Xi-3's in that same snow fall. They performed flawlessly. TC only came on when I basically accelerated like a typical BMW driver.  :P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #571 on: November 28, 2017, 08:04:54 pm »
I actually managed to engage the TRACS on the Highlander with the new Blizzaks on.  I was at a very icy intersection and put my right foot to the radiator.  Only a brief flash of the light though.  Between AWD and the Blizzaks, this thing is ridiculous.

I had a chance to compare the DM-V2s to the WS-80s, but not a very good test, as it was Corolla FWD vs Highlander AWD.  The Corolla felt only slightly behind the Highlander in terms of overall traction, it wasn't far off.  The Highlander used it's AWD to get away from the light easier, but the Corolla hooked up really well.  The Corolla had an edge in braking, for sure thanks to it's lighter weight.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #572 on: November 29, 2017, 11:26:25 am »
Pink steelies anyone?  ;D

At least they have winter wheels, meanwhile mine are still on backorder.... ::) >:(

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 29, 2017, 11:31:29 am »
Honestly, that doesn't bug me.  If the rims are horrifically rusted out and in need of painting, why not make 'em to the liking of the teenager driving the used Corolla?  At least the used car purchase was one that this forum would support :P

Curiosity, actually - would it be smart to plasti-dip or paint new steelies in an effort to curb future rust?  Not saying vibrator pink, but even just flat black to protect?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 29, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
Honestly, that doesn't bug me.  If the rims are horrifically rusted out and in need of painting, why not make 'em to the liking of the teenager driving the used Corolla?  At least the used car purchase was one that this forum would support [emoji14]

Curiosity, actually - would it be smart to plasti-dip or paint new steelies in an effort to curb future rust?  Not saying vibrator pink, but even just flat black to protect?
There are oil film sprays that are tacky that you could use it you are so inclined.

We use them at work since many of our expensive tooling is shipped on open bed truck in all weather.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #575 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:16 am »
Honestly, that doesn't bug me.  If the rims are horrifically rusted out and in need of painting, why not make 'em to the liking of the teenager driving the used Corolla?  At least the used car purchase was one that this forum would support :P

My coworker said he plasti-dipped a set of steelies last fall and they held up well over the winter.  It helped that he only paid $5 US a can across the border.  My last steelies looked awful by the time i sold them a couple of months ago after going through 5 winters.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #576 on: November 29, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »

My coworker said he plasti-dipped a set of steelies last fall and they held up well over the winter.  It helped that he only paid $5 US a can across the border.  My last steelies looked awful by the time i sold them a couple of months ago after going through 5 winters.

5 Winters is a lot for steelies.  My last set had started to get rust specks on them by the end of year two.  I got rid of them halfway through year 3 when we bought the van.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:17 pm »
Or go the nuclear option and treat them with POR-15 or similar.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 29, 2017, 12:11:54 pm »

That stuff is the cats pajamas when it comes to treating rust. Guy in our jeep club used it when he was building his CJ-8, stuff held up to heavy offroading and driving through our winters.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 29, 2017, 12:13:12 pm »

That stuff is the cats pajamas when it comes to treating rust. Guy in our jeep club used it when he was building his CJ-8, stuff held up to heavy offroading and driving through our winters.
Yep! For sure! It's amazing stuff. Can buy at CDN Tire too.

Just wear old clothes when you use it!