Author Topic: Hyundai Unveils Long-Wheelbase Santa Fe XL  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Hyundai Unveils Long-Wheelbase Santa Fe XL
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »

The production version of the new three-row, six/seven-passenger Santa Fe XL made its world debut today at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, joining the 215 millimetre shorter two-row, five-passenger Santa Fe which has been on sale since August.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Hyundai Unveils Long-Wheelbase Santa Fe XL
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »
I guess Hyundai marketers felt that the Veracruz name just didn't cut it so they ran with variations of the Santa Fe. Kind of makes sense, Hyundai will see a saving here in many ways including marketing and regulations savings to mention a few.

This vehicle does address some of the pet peeves regarding most SUV's, there simple taller but do not really give more space for the occupants.
I think it will be a success for Hyundai and the right approach.
Many Asian countries have similar elongated versions of the vehicles. Nice to get similar here, outside of high priced German cars.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:19:09 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »
I still dont get it, if you want to haul around 7 people, a minivan is the way to go. None of the 4 SUVs mentioned in the article will haul 7 adults, well not comfortably anyways.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »
I guess Hyundai marketers felt that the Veracruz name just didn't cut it so they ran with variations of the Santa Fe. Kind of makes sense, Hyundai will see a saving here in many ways including marketing and regulations savings to mention a few.

That's exactly what a Hyundai sales guy told me - the Veracruz name had no equity whatsoever.  Nobody knew the name or the vehicle, and sales were so low that's not really a surprise.  But the Santa Fe has been around a lot longer, with much higher sales, so he thought people will hopefully associate the Santa Fe XL as a "bigger version of the Sante Fe" (which it is!), a vehicle they already know.  Of course, could just be sales-guy BS - but that never happens, right Cord?  AS?   ;D 

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
I still dont get it, if you want to haul around 7 people, a minivan is the way to go. None of the 4 SUVs mentioned in the article will haul 7 adults, well not comfortably anyways.

In a pinch, sure. If you want to haul 6-7 passengers on a consistent basis, sure, minivan is the way to go, but if you want room for 4 people plus luggage and on the occasion 5,6,7 people, these 7-people crossovers make a ton of sense.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »

In a pinch, sure. If you want to haul 6-7 passengers on a consistent basis, sure, minivan is the way to go, but if you want room for 4 people plus luggage and on the occasion 5,6,7 people, these 7-people crossovers make a ton of sense.

That's exactly what I'm looking for in my next family car.  Primarily my family of 2+1 (planning for a 2nd kid) with a lot of baby gear, but ability to take my parents at some odd times to go out for dinners.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:10:02 pm »

Agreed.  My wife was just lamenting the fact that she can't particpate in a car pool for my daughter's ballet (with 6 classes a week, it would be a huge benefit) because in order to reciprocate, she'd need to be able to transport 5 kids when it was her turn to shuttle.  Just the kind of 'there when you need it' utility that a vehicle like this would provide.

This one looks very sharp.  And with that strong DI V6, I bet it moves along quite nicely as well.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:10:32 pm »
Excellent all-around SUV. I only wish it were available with a 5 seat option.
p.s. Please don't say "but the 3rd row seats fold down"  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »

"But there is a Santa Fe Sport" ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:55:12 pm »

Well said. The second row is always compromised to fit in the third in.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »

That's exactly what I'm looking for in my next family car.  Primarily my family of 2+1 (planning for a 2nd kid) with a lot of baby gear, but ability to take my parents at some odd times to go out for dinners.

So who gets the 3rd row, the kids or your parents???

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »

So who gets the 3rd row, the kids or your parents???

Each parents takes a turn transporting 5 kids - allowing all the other parents to stay home. That's how these things work, or so I'm told.

Don't know about the second row always being compromised - that sure wasn't the case in the Mazda 5 I drove to Montreal and back. Usually the third row is something of a penalty box for adults,  but more than okay  for kids. But a cramped and uncomfortable second row would be a deal breaker, if that were in fact the case.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:41 pm »

"But there is a Santa Fe Sport" ;D

Even better  ;D

If it wasn't for 3rd row it could have a solid flat floor and tons of cargo room. Hope it could be done as a factory order.

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 07:53:49 am »
I think Hyundai made the vehicle my family needs, I thought of the pathfinder, but at 260 hp, same as the Veracruz, they say it's under-powered (never drove it, not persona opinion)

290hp seems perfect, 2 adults, 2 kids /w booster chair and baby chair, + a dog and all the required gear for going up north, sounds perfect.

mini van.... it's OK, but I think Hyundai has better finance options.  Also I bet this Santa Fe will get better km per liter than the Dodge minivan.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 08:40:12 am »

Well said. The second row is always compromised to fit in the third in.

We looked at a 2007 Santa Fe with the third row option, AWD etc etc but the tiny rear quarter windows made the visibility for my 4' 10" wife pretty difficult and we wound up with a new 2006 Mazda MPV.

From a utility perspective, the MPV is light years ahead of the Santa Fe whether we have the third row up or down, and at least with the third row up we still have decent 'trunk' space the Santa Fe would have had to give up.  Had three adults and three kids drive to Thunder Bay and back and pulled out one of the middle captains chairs for a little space - not even a starter in the Santa Fe.

The only real benefit over the MPV was the AWD (worse fuel economy), which in Toronto really is unnecessary with a decent set of winters anyway.

That said, we are very happy with the zoom zoom MPV for our 4 person family - but we aren't the "Sliding Dooraphobes" that these three-row CUV's are supposed to cater to (CX9 / this Santa Fe / Highlander / Pathyfinder etc etc).

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:41:56 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 10:45:08 am »

:rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:29 am »
The Buick Enclave is not too bad, nice vehicle to boot.

What, who just said that? Blasphemy!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:04 am »
The Buick Enclave is not too bad, nice vehicle to boot.

I agree.

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:26 pm »

And 0-60 in 5.9 sec.  :o

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_1208_2013_ford_flex_limited_ecoboost_first_test/viewall.html

If I even sort of needed a 7 seater I'd promptly buy one of these. Maybe even this colour.