Author Topic: Nissan, Mitsubishi Low Cost EV Tie-Up Could Spell End For i-MiEV  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

50-50 joint venture will create Kei-based electric vehicle

Read More...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Nissan, Mitsubishi Low Cost EV Tie-Up Could Spell End For i-MiEV
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:17:47 am »
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Nissan-Mitsubishi-to-join-hands-on-low-cost-electric-car

Not exactly dirt cheap for a Kei car at about $15,000 but when gas savings are accounted for it will make sense I suppose. I'm betting Nissan will supply batteries and Mitsu will make the I Miev even smaller and lighter.
In other news, $30k Hydrogen cars are getting in incentives are apparently still not enough so Japanese gov. is considering a 100% compensation for the first bunch of early adopters  ::) 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:08:30 am »
Worldwide sales of the Smart ED have been tracking at 40% of the total of the gas Smart Fortwo model.

There is a real market for small commuter electric vehicles.
I can tell you, once you've owned one, you will not want to go back to a gas car.

It's way more fun to drive a small and quick EV with instant response from a stop.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:11 am »
Worldwide sales of the Smart ED have been tracking at 40% of the total of the gas Smart Fortwo model.

There is a real market for small commuter electric vehicles.
I can tell you, once you've owned one, you will not want to go back to a gas car.

It's way more fun to drive a small and quick EV with instant response from a stop.

I think in the case of Smart, the electric drive just fixes all the failings of the gas-powered version.