Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 728853 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #500 on: September 18, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »
Meanwhile the cost of Li-ion batteries dropped 70% in the last 18 months.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/stem-cto-weve-seen-battery-prices-fall-70-in-the-last-18-months

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #501 on: September 18, 2016, 09:00:20 pm »
Where do you think most of the energy for batteries come from?  I'll give you a hint, it's the same source as fuel cells. Having said that, there are companies already building "on sight" green hydrogen production.  For most of these "green" cars the source of energy is dirty. Both options aren't great.  BEVs add a massive amount of weight and add a substantial amount of time to recharging.  I just like to hear people argue alternatives to ICE with some kind of well thought out analysis not half cocked pumping or bashing.

Ontario is pumping BEVs because they want people to pour their money into the grid and nuclear power. Is that great?  Burn oil or end up with piles of radioactive material?

I am not sure whether I should respond to your posts. I pointed out that BEV are more energy efficient than H2 cars given the electricity comes from the same grid. I've posted links and charts in the past where everything is calculated and explained and yet you are saying H2 cars are being bashed.
I think H2 cars do present an alternative to ICE cars, just not the best one in light of fast advancing li-ion storage.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 19, 2016, 04:54:51 pm »
Meanwhile the cost of Li-ion batteries dropped 70% in the last 18 months.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/stem-cto-weve-seen-battery-prices-fall-70-in-the-last-18-months

Oh really?  And so explain to me why the model S still costs well over 100k and Tesla loses over a dollar a share even after introducing their 150k dollar SUV?

You will have to ask Elon.  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #503 on: September 19, 2016, 06:00:39 pm »
MUSK I  ??? .......i am sure he will be Forth Coming.............................BOOM  da da BOOM :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 23, 2016, 12:55:38 am »
explain to me why the model S still costs well over 100k

Test drive one.  Traded our 350+ HP Mercedes SUV for it.  My wife will never buy another brand now that she drives a Tesla every day.  Sure these are expensive cars, but brilliantly engineered, and unique.

When Tesla ships a $50K (Canadian) car, expect to see them sold out, just like their current Model S/X are sold out.
Watch as Tesla ships more cars every single quarter, and out sells their premium competitors.

Sure, $100K is a lot, but they aren't having any trouble selling every one they make, and for >%20 margins on each car sold.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:54 am »

When Tesla ships a $50K (Canadian) car, expect to see them sold out, just like their current Model S/X are sold out.

Which is odd, because the X is proving to be such a turd and the S has quality issues.  Of course, the most unreliable car brand (Land Rover) sells out to, so there's no accounting for intelligent car purchases.

Watch as Tesla ships more cars every single quarter, and out sells their premium competitors.

I've been watching.  And Tesla has missed their last sales targets for the last few quarters.

Sure, $100K is a lot, but they aren't having any trouble selling every one they make, and for >%20 margins on each car sold.

Yes, and they are still losing money hand over fist.  And no profit until at least 2020.  Which means, technically, they lose money with every car sold.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 24, 2016, 11:46:44 am »

Which is odd, because the X is proving to be such a turd and the S has quality issues.  Of course, the most unreliable car brand (Land Rover) sells out to, so there's no accounting for intelligent car purchases.

I've been watching.  And Tesla has missed their last sales targets for the last few quarters.

Yes, and they are still losing money hand over fist.  And no profit until at least 2020.  Which means, technically, they lose money with every car sold.

OK.  Progress!   Your FUD is on a self repeating cycle, but you still agree that Tesla is beating it's competitors, with big margins on it's cars, selling out production.
Looks pretty good from where I sit, but then again, I am sitting in a Tesla, so...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #508 on: September 24, 2016, 09:20:03 pm »

OK.  Progress!   Your FUD is on a self repeating cycle, but you still agree that Tesla is beating it's competitors, with big margins on it's cars, selling out production.
Looks pretty good from where I sit, but then again, I am sitting in a Tesla, so...

Um, I believe that they're still loosing money on every car, even with the margins they're supposed to be making. Had a beer with my buddy that works for them about a month ago & he said they were hoping to get to 2000 cars a week over the next few months.  In comparison, FCA in Brampton churns out 750 cars a day!!!  They've gotta long way to go still.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 25, 2016, 04:55:35 am »

No , Tesla isn't beating its rivals. The rivals are making money.

Have you forgotten?   GM was outselling its rivals until the second they declared bankruptcy.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 28, 2016, 07:01:35 pm »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #511 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »
VW ID, 400 to 600 km range, to be released in 2020...

http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/09/volkswagen-d-electric-concept-paris-revealed/

I believe VW when they said they had a green diesel , should we also believe them now  :think: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 28, 2016, 07:15:52 pm »
VW ID, 400 to 600 km range, to be released in 2020...

http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/09/volkswagen-d-electric-concept-paris-revealed/

I believe VW when they said they had a green diesel , should we also believe them now  :think: :rofl2:

US regulators want to give them a financial punishment juuuust big enough so they don't have to declare bankruptcy.  Might be ugly at VW for the next few years.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:15 pm »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #514 on: September 29, 2016, 05:38:59 pm »
Another Autopilot crash?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-autopilot-crashes-german-autobahn-142135313.html

From the article...

A Tesla spokesperson however said in a statement that "we have spoken to our customer, who confirmed that Autopilot was functioning properly and that his use of Autopilot was unrelated to the accident.

So if the autopilot didn't cause the accident, who did? Well the driver of course.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 29, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »
Another Autopilot crash?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-autopilot-crashes-german-autobahn-142135313.html

From the article...

A Tesla spokesperson however said in a statement that "we have spoken to our customer, who confirmed that Autopilot was functioning properly and that his use of Autopilot was unrelated to the accident.

So if the autopilot didn't cause the accident, who did? Well the driver of course.

I wouldn't expect Tesla to say anything differently.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #516 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »
Another Autopilot crash?

From the article...

Agree. I'm sure they would say something like...."Well if they bus wasn't there in the first place, the car would have never hit it."

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 29, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »
Another Autopilot crash?

From the article...

Agree. I'm sure they would say something like...."Well if they bus wasn't there in the first place, the car would have never hit it."

The BIG Electric Vehicle news of the day: driver decides not to use Autopilot and crashes his Tesla as a result  ::)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 01, 2016, 06:13:41 pm »
http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/09/renault-zoe-new-battery-gets-400-km-range/

Battery size remained the same while its capacity almost doubled to 41kWh. IMO we should expect similar kWh increase rate in the upcoming Leaf.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:15:23 pm by EV Dan »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 02, 2016, 10:14:47 am »
When I saw it in person first time, I found the Chevy Bolt about the size and height of the first generation Matrix.

Try the link previoulys posted by Guy to visualize it compare to Fit, Note, Soul & Trax
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=90969.msg1220324#msg1220324

Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...