Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 736944 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #520 on: October 02, 2016, 10:55:53 am »
http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/09/renault-zoe-new-battery-gets-400-km-range/

Battery size remained the same while its capacity almost doubled to 41kWh. IMO we should expect similar kWh increase rate in the upcoming Leaf.

How many Lithium batteries does she have in the bags.........????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #521 on: October 02, 2016, 12:24:40 pm »
http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/09/renault-zoe-new-battery-gets-400-km-range/

Battery size remained the same while its capacity almost doubled to 41kWh. IMO we should expect similar kWh increase rate in the upcoming Leaf.

bloody hell, just build a normal size car!!!  they keep pushing these tiny cars but they should be targeting something in the model s size range!!

But then they would be targeting the Model S size wallets. This Zoe will have a good range with 41kWh battery. Use the same pack in a full size sedan or a mid-size SUV and it will barely do 100 miles. And then ppl will complain why can't they have something, no matter how small with a Tesla range.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 02, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »
Yes, Tesla is charging whatever the market will bear, since they have virtually no competition in the Sport-Luxury EV segment. What I'm talking about is if Renault wanted to make a Camry sized full EV with a 250-300 mile range, like with a Tesla, it would need an 80+ kWh battery, and that is USD $50,000+ car, based on the Chevy Bolt pricing.
Eventually there will be such a car, priced similarly to an ICE Camry, maybe 10 years away when the battery tech has advanced enough.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread- no more ICE
« Reply #523 on: October 08, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-german-push-to-ban-combustion-engine-cars-by-2030-wins-support-2016-10

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - A proposal to stop sales of new combustion-engine cars by 2030 has gained cross-party support in Germany's Bundesrat, the country's upper house of parliament, Der Spiegel reported.

German lawmakers should urge their counterparts in Brussels to push incentives for only zero-emission vehicles to be registered by 2030, the weekly news magazine said, citing a decision taken in a Bundesrat meeting.

"If the Paris agreement to curb climate-warming emissions is to be taken seriously, no new combustion engine cars should be allowed on roads after 2030," it quoted Greens party lawmaker Oliver Krischer as saying.

A switch to sales of only zero-emission cars puts thousands of German auto industry jobs at risk since the powertrain of an electric car requires only a tenth of the staff to be assembled when compared with a combustion-engined equivalent, which needs more workers to assemble cylinders, spark plugs, and gearboxes.

(Reporting by Edward Taylor; editing by Mark Heinrich)

Read the original article on Reuters. Copyright 2016. Follow Reuters on Twitter.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 10, 2016, 02:38:57 pm »
In the true spirit of what this thread has become, how Tesla almost had a "these will buff right out" day:  :P
www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5tdRTVVFdk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2016, 10:33:21 pm »
He's out of his f@cking mind.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 23, 2016, 04:44:46 am »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-german-push-to-ban-combustion-engine-cars-by-2030-wins-support-2016-10

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - A proposal to stop sales of new combustion-engine cars by 2030 has gained cross-party support in Germany's Bundesrat, the country's upper house of parliament, Der Spiegel reported.

German lawmakers should urge their counterparts in Brussels to push incentives for only zero-emission vehicles to be registered by 2030, the weekly news magazine said, citing a decision taken in a Bundesrat meeting.

"If the Paris agreement to curb climate-warming emissions is to be taken seriously, no new combustion engine cars should be allowed on roads after 2030," it quoted Greens party lawmaker Oliver Krischer as saying.

A switch to sales of only zero-emission cars puts thousands of German auto industry jobs at risk since the powertrain of an electric car requires only a tenth of the staff to be assembled when compared with a combustion-engined equivalent, which needs more workers to assemble cylinders, spark plugs, and gearboxes.

(Reporting by Edward Taylor; editing by Mark Heinrich)

Read the original article on Reuters. Copyright 2016. Follow Reuters on Twitter.
Seems to be BS

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/10/11/german-transport-minister-ice-ban-by-2030-utter-nonsense/#5da3d4264a9e

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 24, 2016, 10:43:16 pm »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:25 am »
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tesla+profit&tbm=nws

Ah yes..I was waiting for this.  Smoke and mirrors my friend.

First, Tesla changed the way they reported their accounting.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-26/tesla-earnings-smash-expectations-after-dramatic-change-reporting-methodology

You can also see they didn't pay their bills (suppliers) this quarter!   Accounts payable quadrupled!  So that leaves more cash on hand when you don't pay your bills.  :o   And the biggest part was selling carbon credits.  $139 million worth vs $39 million a year ago.  So the profit isn't really from the car making business.

There are many articles on this smoke and mirrors.  Read up and enjoy!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-10-26/tesla-earnings-pie-looks-a-bit-crumbly
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:04:28 pm by rrocket »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 01, 2016, 04:33:08 pm »
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/10/26/tesla-turns-a-profit.html

Revenue more than doubled to $2.3 billion.
Tesla delivered 24,821 vehicles during the quarter, an increase of 72 per cent over the same period last year.

Revenue and sales growth.  Both related to having great products in demand by consumers.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/tesla-extends-sales-lead-in-us-luxury-sedan-segment-93068.html

The EV surged by 32 percent in the third quarter to 9,156 units, according to internal numbers cited by Bloomberg. Its nearest rival, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, is far behind with less than 5,000 units. In fact, the Model S now appears to be outselling the S-Class and BMW 7-Series combined.

In other news, another Tesla is on our street.  Neighbour traded in his Porsche for a ludicrous mode Tesla.
And another neighbour put in a reservation on a Model 3, that is at least 3 on the street that I know of.
20 houses on my street, three with solar, two with Tesla, three with EV's.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 01, 2016, 05:41:58 pm »

Revenue and sales growth.  Both related to having great products in demand by consumers.

None of that means anything if you can't continue to bank large profits and keep spending in check.  Just ask GM if you don't believe it.  As I said a million times...GM was the world leader in car sales as it approached bankruptcy.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #535 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:36 pm »
In other news, another Tesla is on our street.  Neighbour traded in his Porsche for a ludicrous mode Tesla.
And another neighbour put in a reservation on a Model 3, that is at least 3 on the street that I know of.

You do have an inkling that that isn't a typical Canadian street, right?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 01, 2016, 11:58:10 pm »

No.  This is every Canadian street.  Because Musk's vision.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #537 on: November 01, 2016, 11:59:23 pm »
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/10/26/tesla-turns-a-profit.html

Revenue more than doubled to $2.3 billion.
Tesla delivered 24,821 vehicles during the quarter, an increase of 72 per cent over the same period last year.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/tesla-extends-sales-lead-in-us-luxury-sedan-segment-93068.html

The EV surged by 32 percent in the third quarter to 9,156 units, according to internal numbers cited by Bloomberg. Its nearest rival, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, is far behind with less than 5,000 units. In fact, the Model S now appears to be outselling the S-Class and BMW 7-Series combined.

In other news, I'm about to get lucky tonight... MUCH better than 3 Tesla's on the street! [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #538 on: November 02, 2016, 06:24:30 am »

Our short street maybe 30 house has about 15 pickups  ;D no EVs

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 02, 2016, 11:22:36 am »

Our short street maybe 30 house has about 15 pickups  ;D no EVs

I guess in my neighbourhood the first chance I will see a Tesla is if Ford makes it  :P  2 out of 3 driveways have Fords on them.