Author Topic: Cadillac Could Receive Crested Encore, Diesel Motivation  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Cadillac Could Receive Crested Encore, Diesel Motivation
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:21 am »

If the Cadillac boss has his way, the crested brand could sell an up-market Trax, Encore

Read More...

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
Re: Cadillac Could Receive Crested Encore, Diesel Motivation
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:52 am »
At the next gathering, just say "Cimarron", they'll shriek and you'll never hear of this plan again.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:37 am »
At the next gathering, just say "Cimarron", they'll shriek and you'll never hear of this plan again.

Lol!  I was thinking the exact same thing.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:04 am »
I thought GM had sworn off brand engineering after the 1st bankruptcy?  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:42:12 am »

:rofl2: When I read Trax and Cadillac in the same sentence, the Cimmaron was the first thing that popped up. Well Caddy why not completely make yourselves look like fools, do a Sonic and Cruze and look really pathetic.....  ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:04:10 am »
An up-market, Cadillac crested Encore could do better battle with the Audi Q3, Mercedes-Benz GLA, and BMW Active Tourer. And while no timeframe was given, a late 2015 or early 2016 release is speculated.

It's only bad when GM does it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:23 am »
An up-market, Cadillac crested Encore could do better battle with the Audi Q3, Mercedes-Benz GLA, and BMW Active Tourer. And while no timeframe was given, a late 2015 or early 2016 release is speculated.

Yes, cause Ill buy the first round if they actually do it well. Ze Germans have that badge, they could slap a BMW or Audi badge on a Dodge Omni and people would think its the best thing since sliced bread and pay through the nose for it, Caddy doesnt have that kind of cachet and I dont think has the ability to do it.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 11:14:31 am »
GM (and Ford/Lincoln for that matter) would be fine if they did this in the reverse order – Introduce the new platform/technologies as Cadillacs and then trickle down to the pedestrian brands. Doesn't work in the opposite directions because you get headlines like this article.

I don't think the Cadillac brand is strong enough yet to turn everything into gold no matter what it's stuck on – discerning buyers will not yet give Cadillac the benefit of the doubt.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:21 am »

Yes, cause Ill buy the first round if they actually do it well. Ze Germans have that badge, they could slap a BMW or Audi badge on a Dodge Omni and people would think its the best thing since sliced bread and pay through the nose for it, Caddy doesnt have that kind of cachet and I dont think has the ability to do it.

The SRX sold much, much better as a reformatted Equinox than the initial, stand alone model. Of course the initial SRX was a POS, reliability-wise.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 11:32:09 am »
GM (and Ford/Lincoln for that matter) would be fine if they did this in the reverse order – Introduce the new platform/technologies as Cadillacs and then trickle down to the pedestrian brands. Doesn't work in the opposite directions because you get headlines like this article.

I don't think the Cadillac brand is strong enough yet to turn everything into gold no matter what it's stuck on – discerning buyers will not yet give Cadillac the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with your first point.

For the second point, I'm not sure how much of the market is truly discerning, and how much of it just follows the current trends.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
I agree with getting some diesels in there (especially for Europe) but I think once you grow a brand too fast or too big, it waters down then entire range.  With only a handful of cars to take care of, Cadillac has been really rolling out some good cars, but if they keep adding models in every class, it won't be too long before it takes 7-8 years for redesigns which means all of your competitors are always a step ahead.  Look at Acura.  They used to make some class leading cars and now they have as many models as Honda and they've been sucking lemons like Lincoln for the better part of 5 or more years.