Author Topic: 2015 Ford Mustang Will Pack On The Pounds  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2015 Ford Mustang Will Pack On The Pounds
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:31 am »

With independent rear suspension and a stiffer roof structure, Ford's pony car will be a little heavier

Read More...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2015 Ford Mustang Will Pack On The Pounds
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »
Those weight gains are unfortunate but I think that the Mustang will be much lighter than the Camaro and Challenger.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »
The weight gain seems to be down to two main changes: a new, and more complex, independent rear suspension and a stronger roof structure.
;D so drop the roof and give me a convertible!  ...yeah yeah, that'll be even heavier.

I dislike weight gain, but these seem to be worth the trade-off given the current Mustang's suspension setup and concomitant horrid cornering.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:07 pm »
A 2015 V8 Mustang will be just a few pounds shy of the Camaro SS @ almost 3900 lbs. That's unacceptable and will give the Camaro a major advantage if the Chev's upcoming redesign yields some promised weight savings. Who says there has to be a trade-off for good handling?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:21:51 pm »
A 2015 V8 Mustang will be just a few pounds shy of the Camaro SS @ almost 3900 lbs. That's unacceptable and will give the Camaro a major advantage if the Chev's upcoming redesign yields some promised weight savings. Who says there has to be a trade-off for good handling?

~4,000lbs?!?  Holy fack, these cars need to diet.

3,000-3,300 should be the acceptable weight for a performance car. Or less obviously.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:44:15 pm »

Source?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:22 pm »
It would be a real laugh if the next generation Challenger turned out to be the light weight of the pony cars.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:51:35 am »
I have been looking forward to this vehicle for some time and really thought they were going to take it to another level.  So much so that I have it at the top of my list for my next ride in 2015.  But with the news that it will gain weight, I'm second guessing if I want to own this vehicle.  Sure the new suspension and interiors are a big step forward but we were promised that this vehicle would LOSE weight not gain it.  They already know how to use different metals to get weight down in a vehicle (F150), but they weren't able to do it with their star vehicle?!  Disappointed and I'm still hoping that this rumor is false and it ends up at the very least the same weight.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: 2015 Ford Mustang Will Pack On The Pounds
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:14:59 am »
The weight gain seems to be down to two main changes: a new, and more complex, independent rear suspension and a stronger roof structure.
;D so drop the roof and give me a convertible!  ...yeah yeah, that'll be even heavier.

I dislike weight gain, but these seem to be worth the trade-off given the current Mustang's suspension setup and concomitant horrid cornering.

You do know the current Mustang with it's solid live axle and what you claim as "horrid cornering" out did a BMW M3 on the track?  Yes, I am talking the Boss 302 model, but still.  Not sure where you came up with "horrid cornering." Clearly, you are mistaken.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1102_2012_ford_mustang_boss_302_test/

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2012/01/cars-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-beats-r8-m3-dbs-around-hockenheim-video/

" The next time you're at a bar and some Eurotrash drunkard starts bad-mouthing the Mustang Boss 302 as a "crude, unbalanced American gas guzzler," take a deep breath and politely inform him that the Boss 302 a well-balanced sports car capable of lapping one of the world's great racetracks faster than many European sports cars.Then you can punch him in the teeth."

Not sure if you are Eurotrash, but I'm punching you in the teeth.  ;)

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:29:00 am »

Source?
I just added the 250 lbs. as mentioned in the article (for the V8) to the current car's 3620. Big step backward for Ford. I guess it shows clearly what they perceive to be the target market. Incidentally, handling for me is the entire experience of a car's agility and control in all situations and the ease with which it performs. It's not only about skid pad numbers or raw track speed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:30:32 am by pcsp »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:39:07 am »

Source?
I agree with requesting source info...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/02/2015-ford-mustang-curb-weight-steeda-controversy/

...the weight gain is only a rumour, as of yet, but Ford's lack of contraindication is frustrating and perhaps tale-telling.  The V6 starts at 3,501lbs, so no, it's not 4,000lbs unless you load it up.  I'd imagine that the 2.3T would be the lightest of the bunch, but maybe the extra piping weighs more than I would expect.

You do know the current Mustang with it's solid live axle and what you claim as "horrid cornering" out did a BMW M3 on the track?  Yes, I am talking the Boss 302 model, but still.  Not sure where you came up with "horrid cornering." Clearly, you are mistaken.
I am considering the base, V6 model for which I have driven many over thousands of miles.  The V6 is lovely to drive, wonderfully efficient, and has ample power; yet, it corners like a tub of lard and I am often able to upset the back end taking sharp corners on dry pavement in palm springs.  It's better than many cars, but it is not befitting the Mustang pedigree - hence the exaggeration of how 'bad' it is.  Kind of like saying a Porsche Boxter is underpowered - it's no wimp.

The Boss trim has suspension upgrades and is not  a fair comparison.  Also, there's far more to a track than lap time.  From your same, beloved article:
Next came the addition of fully adjustable shocks, as in the original Boss 302, as well as higher-rate coil springs, stiffer suspension bushings, and a larger rear stabilizer bar. By twisting adjustment screws on the top of each shock, drivers can select from five progressively firmer settings. One is the softest, two the factory setting, and five the firmest. All these new suspension bits lowered the Boss by 0.4 inch in the front and 0.04 inch in the rear, giving it a slight rake.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:11:14 am »

Source?
I agree with requesting source info...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/02/2015-ford-mustang-curb-weight-steeda-controversy/

...the weight gain is only a rumour, as of yet, but Ford's lack of contraindication is frustrating and perhaps tale-telling.  The V6 starts at 3,501lbs, so no, it's not 4,000lbs unless you load it up.  I'd imagine that the 2.3T would be the lightest of the bunch, but maybe the extra piping weighs more than I would expect.

I am considering the base, V6 model for which I have driven many over thousands of miles.  The V6 is lovely to drive, wonderfully efficient, and has ample power; yet, it corners like a tub of lard and I am often able to upset the back end taking sharp corners on dry pavement in palm springs.  It's better than many cars, but it is not befitting the Mustang pedigree - hence the exaggeration of how 'bad' it is.  Kind of like saying a Porsche Boxter is underpowered - it's no wimp.

The Boss trim has suspension upgrades and is not  a fair comparison.  Also, there's far more to a track than lap time.  From your same, beloved article:
Next came the addition of fully adjustable shocks, as in the original Boss 302, as well as higher-rate coil springs, stiffer suspension bushings, and a larger rear stabilizer bar. By twisting adjustment screws on the top of each shock, drivers can select from five progressively firmer settings. One is the softest, two the factory setting, and five the firmest. All these new suspension bits lowered the Boss by 0.4 inch in the front and 0.04 inch in the rear, giving it a slight rake.

The V6 with the performance package has excellent handling. A local road I use for test drives has a sharply curved ramp with a compression ridge in the middle of it. It's very good at upsetting handling. Where the Veloster and Abarth stepped out, the V6 Mustang didn't. There is at least one person on here who regularly tracks his and has posted videos.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »
The 2013 GT with the brembo track package was awesome. Great power anywhere on the tach, solid handling and very progressive step out. If its any better than that, this car will be a serious contender if people can get over the "EWWW, ICKKKK, domestic" crap.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Matrix
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »
250 lbs? Time to go on a personal diet so the net weight gain to the car is zero.  ;)