Author Topic: Golf R negotiation  (Read 51827 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Golf R negotiation
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »
While I'd consider the Golf R myself, I just can't get my head around negotiating for, or committing to something in advance of its release.

In this era of any-flavour-you-want consumerism I resent the concept of product scarcity.

I suspect that once the initial excitement dies down, the R will be much like any other car as far as the buying process goes.

If you want to have one of the first ones off the boat, then it looks like you'll need to put down a deposit and probably pay whatever the dealer wants. But after they've been here a year, probably not so much.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 05:51:40 pm »
Funny thing about the GTI launch was that the earlier you bought one, the better deal you seemed to get. They had a bunch of promotions for people who preordered them and apparently the residual was even higher then if you wanted to lease.

Not sure the R will be the same, but it sounds like VW will build as many as the market demands instead of limiting production.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2014, 11:10:00 am »
Funny thing about the GTI launch was that the earlier you bought one, the better deal you seemed to get. They had a bunch of promotions for people who preordered them and apparently the residual was even higher then if you wanted to lease.

Not sure the R will be the same, but it sounds like VW will build as many as the market demands instead of limiting production.
Well part of me wants there to be more of them available (just so I know I won't have trouble getting one and more negotiating power), but the other part wants it to be a bit of a limited run (mainly for the exclusivity and the resale values would be better).  I took a look at the 2012 and 2013 models and what people are asking for it and seems like they haven't gone down much in value.

That being said this is a vehicle and therefore a depreciating asset.  If all I wanted was an investment I'm get the 1991 Acura NSX over in PEI, I'm sure I could drive that for 5 years and sell it for what I paid for it at the end. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2014, 12:06:16 pm »
Well regardless, at least you'll know there won't be a ton of Rs running around Fredericton. :)

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2014, 12:30:13 pm »
Well regardless, at least you'll know there won't be a ton of Rs running around Fredericton. :)
I want to say there is only one 2012/13 Golf R here in Fredericton.  I think he might be trading it in for a new R though.  His old one is Blue and I bet he'll probably stick to that color for the next one.  I'll be getting mine in White, and hopefully there isn't another one sold in that color here in town.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2014, 04:12:47 pm »
Funny thing about the GTI launch was that the earlier you bought one, the better deal you seemed to get.
Sometimes dealers/manufacturers want their vehicles out on the road and are willing to sell them with sweeteners to move models (call it 'free' advertising).

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:20 am »
Well just thought I'd give a little update on the Golf R situation.  Yesterday it was revealed at Toronto International Car Show and with that they announced the price.  I know there are a lot of people out there that thought this vehicle was going to be mid $40K's, and I have to say I too was begining to believe it was going to be more expensive than I had hoped because of the dollar weaking so much and the fact they jacked up the price on the Audi S3.  But I'm happy to report for the base (nothing basic about it) manual model has MSRP of $39,995

Here's a link http://contents.vw.ca/en/models/golf/golf-r.

Almost makes me feel bad about asking for more off.  Now I just have to see if the dealer has enough numbers now to negotiate a deal.  Wish me luck.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:52 am »
We've been discussing the price over here.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:25 am »
Went into the dealer here in Fredericton to discuss final numbers (not payments as they obviously don't know what interest rates will be when the first Golf R's get here in Canada).  I was extremely pleased with the MSRP, especially when you look at what people are paying in US, UK, and especially Australia (shocking what those people pay for vehicles). 

When I was talking to the owner he explained why the price might be so good right now.  Basically he referenced when our dollar was even compared to the USD (which was a few years ago), and how VW is slow to adjust for major changes to currency.  So because of our dollar doing so well 2+ years ago we're reaping the benefits now.

Anyway, back to the negotiation.  Based on discussions I had here and what others were experiencing in US, UK, and other markets, I was going to be lucky to get any kind of deal.  I went in with reasonable expectations, knowing that they needed to make a profit as they are a business and not a charity.  My offer was full MSRP if they included winter tires and rims.  He told me that they would love to accept that deal but they didn't know what that would cost.  He didn't know what size of rim would fit, I told him that I priced out 17" steel rims and middle of the pack winter tires (Cooper) that would fit 2015 GTI and that the price I was quoted was around $960.  Again he said he wasn't really sure what their cost would be.  So I told him that if he gave me $1,000 off or winter tires and rims I would be happy.  He stuck out his hand and I immediately shook it. 

Honestly, the only way I was going to walk away from this dealer was if they expected me to pay above MSRP.  I ended up with $1,000 off and based on what others have been paying I feel like I got a fantastic deal.

Now just have to wait until September when mine comes in.  I'll be getting a Pure White, Manual, without the tech package (couldn't justify the extra $2,000 for a couple of inches more screen and safety features that I would generally have off).

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 08:30:14 am »
Are you getting $1000 off and still paying the $499 admin fee?

Noticed that the residuals for the '15 R in the U.S. are really high, in the 60s for a 36 month lease. Will be interesting to see how the Canadian numbers compare.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:53 am »
Are you getting $1000 off and still paying the $499 admin fee?

Noticed that the residuals for the '15 R in the U.S. are really high, in the 60s for a 36 month lease. Will be interesting to see how the Canadian numbers compare.
They wouldn't move on the admin fee, so I'll be on the hook for $499.  Plus he told me VW will be charging more for frieght and pdi, I think he said it's going up around $65 (this will be for every vehicle, not just the Golf R).  I'm still happy with the deal and surprised that Canada got it for so cheap and I was able to get anything off MSRP.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 10:28:52 am »
Good stuff!  When you get it?   :D

Edit:  Never mind.  Just noticed that you said September.  Boy, that seems like a lonnnnnng way off!   :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:39:52 am by Brigitte »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:48 am »
yeah, anything off a hard to get new vehicle with demand, (especially out your way) is a decent deal... so even after your fees, it will be a discount of 500 off the msrp... I think as you said, be happy with a deal and that the pricing was so competitive from vw canada.

congrats!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 11:08:43 am »
I put my $500 deposit down in November, and I wasn't the first either.  So yes it's a long wait, but I was always planning on buying around June 2015 so waiting until September for the car I want isn't too bad. 

Funny part is I was just on the VW Golf forum and found the guy who's in front of me.  He's buying a Lapiz Blue, manual, and no tech package.  Oh and he posted that he paid MSRP.  So looks like I got a pretty good deal based on that.  There's a 3rd person here in Fredericton who has put in their order and by the time they get theirs, they'll probably have to put snow tires on (especially as all Golf R's come with summer rubber).

Have to say the negotiation was drama free and I really didn't feel like I beat him down.  Only stipulation I gave him was if the Golf R400 comes to Canada I'll be switching my order.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:06:25 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2015, 11:39:22 am »
Surprising they have that many orders here considering AFAIK they've only sold 3-4 new GTIs.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »
Surprising they have that many orders here considering AFAIK they've only sold 3-4 new GTIs.
Yeah I don't think they've sold many GTI's.  I drove a couple they had but the choices didn't seem the best.  They've gotten two 5 door GTI's fully loaded (one auto, one manual) and the other one I saw was a 3 door with automatic.  The manual didn't last long (even though it was fully loaded) and the 3 door didn't sit long either.  But that auto fully loaded 5 door is still there I think.

Maybe people like me and the other Golf R people are willing to wait and pay a bit more for the Golf R.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:29:57 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2015, 02:13:42 pm »
The first one they had was traded to another dealer. Not sure if it was stick or DSG. I think they had just got it when I was getting our Mini there. When I got my GTI, they had an incoming black manual that was loaded and they traded it for my red one.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2015, 02:32:42 pm »
The first one they had was traded to another dealer. Not sure if it was stick or DSG. I think they had just got it when I was getting our Mini there. When I got my GTI, they had an incoming black manual that was loaded and they traded it for my red one.
When I test drove the very dark gray (pretty much black) GTI this past summer (end of June I think, maybe early July), Shelby (sales lady) had just sold the Mini (which I assume was to you).  I don't remember the red one they traded for yours, that being said it probably didn't stay there for long.  They got another 5 door fully loaded red one that I believe is still on the lot (I noticed it back in the fall and I'm pretty sure it's still there).  That one is automatic the price is pretty high, which could explain why it hasn't been sold.  Plus I personally wouldn't want the GTI in red because all the accents are red and would blend in too much.  I guess if you want a more sleeper look that would work.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »
When I test drove the very dark gray (pretty much black) GTI this past summer (end of June I think, maybe early July), Shelby (sales lady) had just sold the Mini (which I assume was to you).  I don't remember the red one they traded for yours, that being said it probably didn't stay there for long.  They got another 5 door fully loaded red one that I believe is still on the lot (I noticed it back in the fall and I'm pretty sure it's still there).  That one is automatic the price is pretty high, which could explain why it hasn't been sold.  Plus I personally wouldn't want the GTI in red because all the accents are red and would blend in too much.  I guess if you want a more sleeper look that would work.

They didn't trade a red one for mine. They had a black one coming and it was already on the boat, and there happened to be a red one on the same boat that was going to another dealer so they swapped them and I got the red one.

Actually that's the one thing that bugs me about the R: I really like the red interior and exterior accents on the GTI and the R lacks those.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile