Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Wolfsburg Edition TDI  (Read 31908 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Wolfsburg Edition TDI
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Volkswagen sends off the Mk6 Golf Wagon with a tempting special-edition trim'
Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Wolfsburg Edition TDI
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:11:41 am »
"Volkswagen's little wagon has no real direct competitors in its price bracket"

This is the last genuine wagon in the non-luxury segment in our market.

The all-new 2.0 TDI engine in the 2015 Golf has a timing chain which might be of interest to
those debating a 2014 or 2015 model.

For the record, Google provides no reference to the town of Wolfsburg, Mexico .

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:58 am »
I'm still extremely happy with mine, see here:

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,85516.msg1053005.html#msg1053005

And the TDI with the manual is an amazing combination.  The fuel economy is astounding.  I do a combination of city and highway, lots of stop start, snow, whatever, and have never been above 7L/100km.  It is just ridiculously good on fuel.  I have recorded all of my fill ups on Fuelly, this graph is all of my fill ups over the past year of ownership, you can see the economy is slightly better in warmer weather.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2013/RobSmithPhotogr/241497/fuelchart

Yes I would like something fast and furious, who doesn't, but for an everyday vehicle it's wonderful.  If you want to push it it still feels quick because of the torque.  I have filled it up with cargo numerous times, it takes a huge amount of stuff with the seats down.  And the interior is perfect, well designed, nice leather (not pleather), and a decent screen, make it not too distant from the BMW I traded in.

I know people always moan about the sticker price on these wagons when in the highest spec, but I honestly can't think of any other vehicle that ticks all the boxes like this one does.  Looks sharp, great interior, tons of cargo capability, and averaging 6L/100km on fuel.  Plus a manual option.  Win win.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:10:54 am »
Decent vehicle and yes $$, outside of that it seems a bit long in the tooth in regards to it's styling and needs a refresh.

I'd like to see something like this on the front end.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:30:45 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:05 am »
Looks wise I don't see why it would need any more refresh that the Mk 7 is getting.  Replacing the 2.5 gas engine with the new 1.8T and putting in the new diesel should do fine for 5 years or so.  I bet either engine would meet fuel economy and emission regs through 2020 at least.  As for the price, well the average new car transaction price in Canada in 2103( IIRC) was around $36000 and this wagon will make it in there in most provinces so what's the problem.  I am not arguing that if Ford brought over the UK Focus wagon with the diesel that it wouldn't be as good a car and cheaper...but they don't.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:06 am »
I was cross shopping the Golf Wagon TDI, with the Mazda6.  Not exactly direct competitors.  But have always like the Golf Wagon TDI with manual and leather.  I like the conservative styling, and it being long in the tooth doesn't bother me.  I was hoping for some better deals financing/leasing since the Golf 5 door was redesigned and not the wagon.  Only on the gas models.  But a comparable model with similar features is over $5-$6k more.  With lease/finance rates at 3.9% compared to the .49% I got.  So just a bit too much.  Will like into it again, when its redesigned with the 1.8T.

Offline jasonhevans

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:45:49 am »
ThIs will be probably be on the shopping list when we trade in the Forester - but only if the AWD comes as shown in one of the auto shows last year (we're in Newfoundland and will no longer buy a non-AWD car for our daily drivers).  We've got the 2.0XT - great engine that loves to scoot, but also loves to suck gas... We had this engine in a Passat wagon when we lived in Scotland and the torque is addictive!

Offline chuckromain@hotmail.com

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota FJ, Datsun 280Z
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:05:23 am »
Want to know what is missing??  Check the US spec wagon Jetta Sport Wagon.  You will not find any Wolfsburg Edition TDI made in Mexico travelling the roads in Germany.

ltruong

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:29:04 am »
We have a 2011 Wagon TDI highline with DSG.   It's my wife's commute as she does about 90km a day on it.  She does about 40,000km a year and I calculated diesel premium difference pays itself in about 80k or so.  In the summer we average around 5.6L/km in the winter anywhere from 6.2L to 7l  depending on how cold it is.  Also pulling a tent trailer loaded at about 1000pnd with my wife, daughter, golden retriever, loaded cargo box  I do about 6.8l to 8l per 100km depending on either flat or hilly roads.  Car now has 120,000km and reliability has been good.  just 2 small issue under warranty the first year.  We love the car and we plan on keeping it for a long time.  Cargo space is huge,  I the only other wagon/suv with that much space was a Subaru outback.  we paid $34,000......now I think they are like 37,000..they are getting pricey

The downs:  VW services are expensive but oil change only required every 15,000km.  DSG Tranny requires oil change every 60k which is every year and a half for us.  about $550 at the dealer.   The back seat is tight,  I'm 5'10 and if somebody sits behind me I have to a just forward.... good for small kids.  it's too low...!!! danm parking curbs....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:58:04 am »
compact hatchbacks don’t have its hauling capacity,
if you mean 'hauling as$', then I agree re: torque, but the MK6 and earlier Golfs are only rated to tow 1,000lbs.  The MK7 in Europe is rated for 3,500lbs with a 1.4L TDI, but that doesn't mean that the tow rating will increase when it hits our shores with the 2.0L TDI.

it's too low...!!! danm parking curbs....
As much as I've always been on the "prefer wagons to CUVs," this ^^ (more so than AWD) is the reason why I'm a CUV guy.  Don't get me wrong, I drive a Corolla as my daily driver and it has neither AWD nor high ground clearance, but I am always left wanting for both once November hits.

Lady Noto's condo complex had potholes that even the Forester could not traverse (I measured one at 1.8 FEET deep!!!) and so I submitted a formal complaint to the corporation.  Just my fricken luck, they promptly repaved (yay!) and installed speed bumps that are absolutely massive.  The Corolla can't clear them (not exaggerating) and I have to drive on the grass to get around them (the curbs are lower, so I can jump those in the Corolla).  The Forester can make it over, albeit slowly...(Lady Noto has been reprimanded for bottoming out once over one of these behemoths).

Suffice it to say that if you do not drive in the winter, drive over big bumps, or have steep driveways to clear, then yeah, who cares about ground clearance...but I do, and as such, the Tiguan with a 2.0 TDI would be a far better choice (albeit priced too aggressively for my tastes).

When I dated some hot chick in Vancouver (ahh, memories), she had a Jetta Wagon TDI.  I LOVED that thing in Van where the torque handled the hills like they were flat.  It was her dad's company vehicle, so he didn't care about pricing, but in the hills, it was soooooo fuel efficient and easy to drive.  In the flat areas of the GTA, and without driving the 40,000km/year like someone else here, I'm not sure that I would spring for the TDI over the 1.8T.

Good on VW, however, for making a Wolfsburg edition that has some nice inclusions for the price just before a redesign.  Keeping inventory relevant is always good.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:16:53 am »
if you mean 'hauling as$', then I agree re: torque, but the MK6 and earlier Golfs are only rated to tow 1,000lbs.  The MK7 in Europe is rated for 3,500lbs with a 1.4L TDI, but that doesn't mean that the tow rating will increase when it hits our shores with the 2.0L TDI.

"Hauling" typically refers to cargo capacity, not towing.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:19:10 am »
When I dated some hot chick in Vancouver (ahh, memories), she had a Jetta Wagon TDI. 

She was smokin', huh?  ;D
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 11:20:44 am »
I was cross shopping the Golf Wagon TDI, with the Mazda6.  Not exactly direct competitors.  But have always like the Golf Wagon TDI with manual and leather.  I like the conservative styling, and it being long in the tooth doesn't bother me.  I was hoping for some better deals financing/leasing since the Golf 5 door was redesigned and not the wagon.  Only on the gas models.  But a comparable model with similar features is over $5-$6k more.  With lease/finance rates at 3.9% compared to the .49% I got.  So just a bit too much.  Will like into it again, when its redesigned with the 1.8T.

They were offering 0.9% on the TDIs including the Wolfsburg in July/August. It went up to 3.9% but I think it's down to 1.9% again.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:29 am »
Want to know what is missing??  Check the US spec wagon Jetta Sport Wagon.  You will not find any Wolfsburg Edition TDI made in Mexico travelling the roads in Germany.

The US Jetta SportWagen has a backup camera but doesn't offer the leather seats or automatic climate control we get here.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 11:34:45 am »

They were offering 0.9% on the TDIs including the Wolfsburg in July/August. It went up to 3.9% but I think it's down to 1.9% again.

Well this morning the build and price shows 3.9%. But still interest rates aside.  Less bang for the buck...There should be better deals considering the Golf 5 door is a new design, new engines, new infotainment, etc. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:34 am »

Well this morning the build and price shows 3.9%. But still interest rates aside.  Less bang for the buck...There should be better deals considering the Golf 5 door is a new design, new engines, new infotainment, etc.

Well a WE TDI is also about $5k less than a loaded Golf.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:15:05 pm by OliverD »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:55:16 am »

"Hauling" typically refers to cargo capacity, not towing.
I disagree; hauling evokes thought of towing, not cargo.  "Hauling your gear" evokes thought of cargo capacity, but as a standalone, 'hauling' doesn't refer conclusively to towing.

I think we should do a poll.  GO!

When I dated some hot chick in Vancouver (ahh, memories), she had a Jetta Wagon TDI. 
She was smokin', huh?  ;D
Yeah, but then she moved to Ibiza and I wasn't about to do that kind of distance.  That, and other issues.
...but oh the memories ;)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:24 am »

The US Jetta SportWagen has a backup camera but doesn't offer the leather seats or automatic climate control we get here.

If he was talking about that row of button blanks that the writer mentioned, I don't think the U.S. car will be much different.

Mostly, those blanks are for Euro models that have stuff like adjustable suspension, park distance sensors and self parking - stuff that the Americans don't get, either.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »
Mostly, those blanks are for Euro models that have stuff like adjustable suspension, park distance sensors and self parking - stuff that the Americans don't get, either.
nothing says "you're a cheap b@stard" more than blanks/dummy covers, IMO. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »
nothing says "you're a cheap b@stard" more than blanks/dummy covers, IMO. 

Then we're a whole continent of cheap b@stards.

Can you imagine the b!tching and moaning if VW tried to sell a fully loaded Golf here for $50k like they do in Euroland?  :rofl2: