Author Topic: VW Golf Wagon TDI  (Read 32495 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: VW Golf Wagon TDI
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2014, 09:33:08 pm »
Btw can I come over to chill? Thanks! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha, anytime!

:thumbup: Nice setup!  Wonder how hard it would be to attach those RX seats to a standard office chair base?  I have access to lots of those... :idea:  As cozy as my man cave is inside the house, I still prefer the atmosphere of the good ole garage... :cheers:

I will definitely make some bases, office height is probably too high though.

Hey Slackass, when you putting the fancy wheels on?  Or are you just waiting to melt the snow tires off?   :stick:

This weekend hopefully.

Did you get new dampers to match the lowering springs?  Sometimes the new springs will wear out the oem shocks quicker.

Stock shocks for the time being, I'll see how they do.  Budget is maxed out for the month, ha ha.

This is a sweet ride and very near and dear to my heart. The Golf Wagon TDI was the most efficient long-termer i ever had the luck of driving, and also one of the better handling, but those springs should make the ride far more to my tastes (and yours i'm guessing). Can't wait to see which wheels you got. I love my old GTI wheels that I managed to salvage for the Jetta wagon.

How was it through the winter? and where are your comprehensive driving impressions? and glamourous golden hour sunset shots with a lake and winery in the background? not that I can't relate to pics of the cars with kids running around in the background

Ha ha, thanks Jonathan, review coming soon.  I was waiting to take proper pics, so that I had the nicer wheels.

;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
This is a sweet ride and very near and dear to my heart. The Golf Wagon TDI was the most efficient long-termer i ever had the luck of driving, and also one of the better handling, but those springs should make the ride far more to my tastes (and yours i'm guessing). Can't wait to see which wheels you got. I love my old GTI wheels that I managed to salvage for the Jetta wagon.

How was it through the winter? and where are your comprehensive driving impressions? and glamourous golden hour sunset shots with a lake and winery in the background? not that I can't relate to pics of the cars with kids running around in the background

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=6220
http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=8053
http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=8696

Don't know a lot about springs.  But whenever you see them on lowered cars, the ride is firm, less room for the wheels to travel.  With the condition of the roads in Hamilton, the front end does that little bounce all the time...

Help me out here, I totally respect people wanting to lower their cars, but other than appearances I don't see the major advantages of using springs, on regular roads. I can understand in sports sedans, and sports cars, where you really want to see more of the handling advantages, with toe & camber, etc.  But no sure about main stream vehicles...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=6220
http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=8053
http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=8696

Don't know a lot about springs.  But whenever you see them on lowered cars, the ride is firm, less room for the wheels to travel.  With the condition of the roads in Hamilton, the front end does that little bounce all the time...

Help me out here, I totally respect people wanting to lower their cars, but other than appearances I don't see the major advantages of using springs, on regular roads. I can understand in sports sedans, and sports cars, where you really want to see more of the handling advantages, with toe & camber, etc.  But no sure about main stream vehicles...

It's often mostly for looks...especially in the case when you're upsizing wheels so you get the right tire-to-fender gap.  But also in mainstream cars the suspension can be a bit mushy.  A set of springs tightens up the suspension and you have much less body roll and therefore better handling.

If you want to buy springs, don't buy the crappy ones.  You get what you pay for.  I'll always buy a set of Swifts if possible. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:47 pm »
^^ Thanks for the info.  Not really interested in springs with my current vehicles.  While talking suspension.  Maybe someone can tell me the noise I hear in both the Mazda5, and the Odyssey.  I put either vehicle in reverse to back out of the drive way, put into drive, once the car has straightened out, after about 10m, I hear like a light clunk.  The sensation is from the accelerator.  Shock absorber?  Bushings?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:48 pm »
^^ Thanks for the info.  Not really interested in springs with my current vehicles.  While talking suspension.  Maybe someone can tell me the noise I hear in both the Mazda5, and the Odyssey.  I put either vehicle in reverse to back out of the drive way, put into drive, once the car has straightened out, after about 10m, I hear like a light clunk.  The sensation is from the accelerator.  Shock absorber?  Bushings?

Sway bar bushings?  Tranny/engine mount?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »

Suspect bushings, as I hear it more depending on temperatures, or if the vehicle has been sitting for a few days.  And I noticed it on the Mazda5 at the 40k mark, but had hard time duplicating at the dealer..

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:05 pm »

Suspect bushings, as I hear it more depending on temperatures, or if the vehicle has been sitting for a few days.  And I noticed it on the Mazda5 at the 40k mark, but had hard time duplicating at the dealer..

Well sway bar bushings are cheap as heck and can be installed in 5 minutes with normal tools.  You might try doing it yourself.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:27 pm »

Well sway bar bushings are cheap as heck and can be installed in 5 minutes with normal tools.  You might try doing it yourself.

Are some better than others?  Maybe not plastic? 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2014, 11:10:50 pm »
So, washed, clay barred and waxed again, ready for Winter!

Never got a chance to do a photo shoot, too busy, so here are the Summer wheels, snows going on this week.  I was going to put them on today but I was too tired after all the detailing...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2014, 12:01:40 am »
Looking good.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2014, 10:59:32 pm »
Looks good TB!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
VW Golf Wagon TDI
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:39 pm »
Cheers guys!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2014, 11:42:10 pm »
^^Any plans for an ECU reflash?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:51 am »
Looking good!

It's too bad that the Wolfsburg Edition doesn't come with that larger nav screen that you have.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:47 am »

TurboDiesel Bob's new passion is hypermiling.  Going fast gets his heart rate up too high.  ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:23 am »
So, washed, clay barred and waxed again, ready for Winter!

Car looks great!  :thumbup:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2014, 01:44:17 pm »

TurboDiesel Bob's new passion is hypermiling.  Going fast gets his heart rate up too high.  ;)

I remember when I knew Bob......  :rofl:

Ha ha.  ECU flashing this is like adding carbon bits to it, a bit pointless with this car.  There's a guy in my work who has done exactly that to his TDI, and his fuel economy is now worse, plus it doesn't really make it a quick car either.  Saving my money for something faster... With two wheels...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2014, 04:27:26 pm »

Ha ha.  ECU flashing this is like adding carbon bits to it, a bit pointless with this car.  There's a guy in my work who has done exactly that to his TDI, and his fuel economy is now worse, plus it doesn't really make it a quick car either.  Saving my money for something faster... With two wheels...

I thought you were saving your money for fast women?

Need something to put them on first.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

I was under the impression that massive torque gains were the result, not necessarily a faster car or better MPG.  Just better driveability.