Author Topic: OFFROADERS REJOICE: Jeep Wrangler To Remain Body-On-Frame  (Read 8304 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
OFFROADERS REJOICE: Jeep Wrangler To Remain Body-On-Frame
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:44:00 pm »

Wrangler expected to still play to Jeep faithful

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: OFFROADERS REJOICE: Jeep Wrangler To Remain Body-On-Frame
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:47:47 pm »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »
I'm happy to hear that they are going to keep it body-on-frame.  I hope that they don't just use alunimum on the body but also change the steel to ultra high strength stuff.  If they can drop a good 300 lbs out of the curb weight then they should see some pretty good improvements all around.  Not sure what they could do to make it more aerodynamic and keep the Jeep face/body we know.  Maybe offer a 4 cylinder diesel like they offer in other markets.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »
Cool....what about suspensions. Jeep has been toying with independent suspensions on the Wrangler for decades but sticking with the faithful rigid live axles both front and rear.

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html

Ever see factory installed right-hand drive version targeted at U.S. Mail carriers, not for overseas use?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:07:34 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »
I'm happy to hear that they are going to keep it body-on-frame.  I hope that they don't just use alunimum on the body but also change the steel to ultra high strength stuff.  If they can drop a good 300 lbs out of the curb weight then they should see some pretty good improvements all around.  Not sure what they could do to make it more aerodynamic and keep the Jeep face/body we know.  Maybe offer a 4 cylinder diesel like they offer in other markets.

A diesel would solve 2 issues, torque and fuel mileage, but it makes sense so it won't happen. Aluminum.....good idea, but Ive pounded out a lot of dents on Jeeps and got good results, will aluminum allow that??

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 03:04:11 pm »
Cool....what about suspensions. Jeep has been toying with independent suspensions on the wrangle for decades but sticking with the faithful.

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html

Independent suspension can work, ask a lot of the desert racer/King of the Hammers guys, but to do it right is expensive and it takes a lot of maintenance.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:53:07 pm »
Who cares.  The Forester is better at off-roading/rock crawling any way.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(for those of you who aren't capable of noticing that the above statement is a complete joke, here's it clearly stated:  IN NO WAY IS THE FORESTER BETTER FOR ANYTHING OFF THE PAVEMENT THAN THE WRANGLER.  THE ABOVE COMMENT IS STATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF PISSING OFF THE JEEP FAITHFUL [and possibly Fobroader] FOR MY SOLE ENJOYMENT.  I DID ENJOY IT THOROUGHLY, THANKS FOR ASKING)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:57:16 pm »
the biggest issue for fuel with the jeep is that flat face... you are pushing so much air that there is no way to get good fuel usage at speeds over about 70... no matter what engine.

i want them to keep it as similar to what it is now as possible... just make a bunch of renegades ans such to bring down the fuel average for jeep so we don't have to worry about it...

the fact that it remains an impractical commuter is what keeps one from being in every driveway... which in turn, keeps up resale... i don't want to mess with that too much.

and noto, what the hell!?!??! you crazy sob, there is no way that the wranrantrantrantrant wahwahwah crycrycry....
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 04:00:59 pm »
Who cares.  The Forester is better at off-roading/rock crawling any way.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(for those of you who aren't capable of noticing that the above statement is a complete joke, here's it clearly stated:  IN NO WAY IS THE FORESTER BETTER FOR ANYTHING OFF THE PAVEMENT THAN THE WRANGLER.  THE ABOVE COMMENT IS STATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF PISSING OFF THE JEEP FAITHFUL [and possibly Fobroader] FOR MY SOLE ENJOYMENT.  I DID ENJOY IT THOROUGHLY, THANKS FOR ASKING)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 04:04:09 pm »
the biggest issue for fuel with the jeep is that flat face... you are pushing so much air that there is no way to get good fuel usage at speeds over about 70... no matter what engine.

i want them to keep it as similar to what it is now as possible... just make a bunch of renegades ans such to bring down the fuel average for jeep so we don't have to worry about it...

the fact that it remains an impractical commuter is what keeps one from being in every driveway... which in turn, keeps up resale... i don't want to mess with that too much.

and noto, what the hell!?!??! you crazy sob, there is no way that the wranrantrantrantrant wahwahwah crycrycry....
;D ;D ;D

In all seriousness, I just hope they don't Cherokee its face.  I mean, I like the Cherokee's face, but it would not be proper for a Wrangler.

I wonder if the wheels will change as standard equipment...i.e. the base model will come with street touring tires with LRR and the 'trailhawk' or 'Trail Rated' version will come with proper off-roaders?  That'd certainly help, as would lowering the car (i.e. ground clearance gets slashed, unless you get the off-road version with adjustable height or something).

Then, give it a 9-speed (you know it's coming) and the 3.0L V6 Diesel, and it'll probably run 32MPG on the highway in 'some' trims, satisfying CAFE requirements for another incremental step.

Changing it to aluminium seems...questionable.  These things have to be hearty as balls and easy to repair if/when dented.  To keep it body on frame...I'd think it'd have to stay steel, though probably the 'UHS' bull that we keep hearing about.

I still love you (secondarily to Jacob).

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 06:39:24 pm »
They need to shrink it back down to the size it used to be... Split off the 4 door unlimited for the soccer moms, and return to TJ/YJ size for the 2 door.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »
They need to shrink it back down to the size it used to be... Split off the 4 door unlimited for the soccer moms, and return to TJ/YJ size for the 2 door.

+1

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:49:12 pm »
Who actually buys a Wangler for the purpose it was intended for? 5%, 10%. Its just a image for most.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:15:33 pm »
How do the CAFE rules work?  Isn't it based on average CAFE fuel economy of the total fleet produced in a given year?  If that's the case, couldn't they just make more Darts instead for the rental fleets?  I like the fact that the Wrangler is what it is.  If I ever get one, I'm going mudding with it.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:22 am »
How do the CAFE rules work?  Isn't it based on average CAFE fuel economy of the total fleet produced in a given year?  If that's the case, couldn't they just make more Darts instead for the rental fleets?  I like the fact that the Wrangler is what it is.  If I ever get one, I'm going mudding with it.

Better to get a well used one.  You won't be afraid to have fun and wheel the heck out of an old TJ/YJ, but many guys with newer JKs always have some excuse (like I'm still underwater on my loan for 4 more years and I can't scratch it!;D

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:24 am »

Better to get a well used one.  You won't be afraid to have fun and wheel the heck out of an old TJ/YJ, but many guys with newer JKs always have some excuse (like I'm still underwater on my loan for 4 more years and I can't scratch it!;D
[/quote]

One way around that is buying a few cans of "Fluid Film" and spraying down all the painted body panels with it. Trees branches will now just slide over the lanolin and you can take the Jeep into the wand wash afterward, or just leave it there for next time. Doubles as rust protection , too.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: OFFROADERS REJOICE: Jeep Wrangler To Remain Body-On-Frame
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 12:44:59 pm »

I loved those guys while wheeling, "holy s#$t man, you just dented your fender, I would be so pi$$ed off"....ya I dont have a $6-800/month payment on mine guy.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:43 am »
Who actually buys a Wangler for the purpose it was intended for? 5%, 10%. Its just a image for most.

With the intended purpose being offroading, I think you are likely overstating the percentage. I would guess that the number of Jeeps driven on something worse than a logging road by their first owner is less than 1%. For the most part, I would assume that folks who take these things rock crawling are in used rigs.

While image might be the biggest reason why most buy a Wrangler, there is one other pretty compelling reason...

All season convertible!!! Hardtop/4wd for winter, open air in the summer!

When combined with the first reason, the second - a 4wd SUV with a manual - keeps the Wrangler on my "want to own one day" list.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
All season convertible!!! Hardtop/4wd for winter, open air in the summer!

...and it's not a Murano Cross Cabriolet.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:54 am »
I don't own a Wrangler, my dogs own it. I'm just the chauffeur, guiding their Wrangler to their favourite playgrounds where they can chase coyotes and eat crap. Getting there often involves deep mud/ deep snow. The Wrangler is stock, but I invested in good off-road tires and winter tires, traction starts at the ground. I added an Aussie Locker to the front axle, huge difference in where we can go with confidence.

If I were to purchase a new Wrangler.... it would be the 2 door Rubicon with cloth seats and a manual tranny.