Author Topic: Redesigned GM Trucks To Arrive Early, Wear Aluminum Body Panels  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Full-size SUVs to arrive the year following truck debuts

Read More...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:37:56 pm by MarkStevenson »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Redesigned GM Trucks To Arrive Early, Wear Aluminum Body Panels
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »
It's about time that makers concentrated on reducing weight.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Redesigned GM Trucks To Arrive Early, Wear Aluminum Body Panels
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:30 pm »
It's about time that makers concentrated on reducing weight.
I agree.  Interested to see what the weight savings is and does on the big SUVs.

Offline dewey9315

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:01 am »
Could become a major weight advantage for GM compared to Ford. The F-150's recent 700-pound diet only brings it ~100-150 lbs. lighter than the equivilent GM product.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:42 pm »
I agree its about time we start seeing some attention being paid to saving weight - was wondering when we were finally going to go down that road. I am wondering though how much R&D either Ford or GM have done with this stuff. I have visions of paint peeling off body panels because its not bonding properly to the metal. I can tell you this - I certainly wouldn't want a first model year of either of these trucks.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:24 pm »
While I like the idea of weight reduction and use of aluminum etc. When it comes to trucks the whole story is pretty facked up in the first place...we make gigantic trucks way larger/heavier/more powerful than they need to be and then make them really expensive by making them lighter and more efficient.

Why not just make them  smaller?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »
Because mid size trucks are more fuel efficient and selling by the boat load.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »
I agree its about time we start seeing some attention being paid to saving weight - was wondering when we were finally going to go down that road. I am wondering though how much R&D either Ford or GM have done with this stuff. I have visions of paint peeling off body panels because its not bonding properly to the metal. I can tell you this - I certainly wouldn't want a first model year of either of these trucks.

Since Ford owned Jaguar many moons ago, I am guessing they have paint-to-aluminum figured out.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »
While I like the idea of weight reduction and use of aluminum etc. When it comes to trucks the whole story is pretty facked up in the first place...we make gigantic trucks way larger/heavier/more powerful than they need to be and then make them really expensive by making them lighter and more efficient.

You need to spend more time with the mainstream truck buyer for insight on why they buy the pick up they do  :)

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »

You need to spend more time with the mainstream truck buyer for insight on why they buy the pick up they do  :)

I know it and I personally keep buying big trucks myself. I guess it's one of those consumer behaviour things...whining about the price of products when it's our own behaviour that creates the market opportunity for manufactures...

Nice, a pickup...wish it was bigger!
There you go
Oooh, it's huge...wish the gas mileage was better
There you go
Awesome, a turbo charger, it's sort of efficient...still wish the gas mileage was better
There you go
Perfect, huge, powerful, efficient, and now lighter...wish it was cheaper
Sorry, can't help you

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »
Because mid size trucks are more fuel efficient and selling by the boat load.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

I know it and I personally keep buying big trucks myself. I guess it's one of those consumer behaviour things...whining about the price of products when it's our own behaviour that creates the market opportunity for manufactures...

There you go
There you go
Awesome, a turbo charger, it's sort of efficient...still wish the gas mileage was better
There you go
Sorry, can't help you

Brilliant points! As for Snowman's suggestion to"spend more time with the mainstream truck buyer for insight on why they buy the pick up they do", you'll get quite a mix of opinions. People tend to justify their actions, and their purchases. Large truck buyers usually make the purchase because there's simply no choice in the market. It's easy to justify "buying by the pound" because the initial value proposition seems good. Now if we had REAL choice, just watch buying patterns change. Look at what's happening with the downsizing of work vans.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:50 am »

There you go
There you go
There you go
Sorry, can't help you

Brilliant points! As for Snowman's suggestion to"spend more time with the mainstream truck buyer for insight on why they buy the pick up they do", you'll get quite a mix of opinions. People tend to justify their actions, and their purchases. Large truck buyers usually make the purchase because there's simply no choice in the market. It's easy to justify "buying by the pound" because the initial value proposition seems good. Now if we had REAL choice, just watch buying patterns change. Look at what's happening with the downsizing of work vans.

I agree reasons very a lot.

working in farm country it's interesting to see what people are doing. 
all the kids buy trucks as soon as they can.  while some are actual farmers, most are doing it because they've grown up with trucks and that's just what people drive out here.  (although many of them are just as much city kids really)   Fuel economy doesn't factor (until they can't afford it)

I see a couple people downsizing away from trucks...
it's usually a senior male who finally realizes, why do I really have this truck.  Or anyone else (age) who now finds themselves driving a heck of a lot and the light bulb goes off on what they can save driving something smaller.

A co-worker has a RAM.   They use it to pull a small pop-up.  She says the RAM is more comfortable than her Honda Accord (granted the accord is a 2001).

Then you get the city folks who feel you have to have at least one truck if you have a house.