Author Topic: Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees  (Read 302359 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »
that is pretty brutal... 1198 is no small amount.

from a business perspective, i don't have an issue with things being mandatory to certain dealers... adding it on after a price has been negotiated is just plain wrong though.

all these industry councils for the automotive sector are just dumb though... they do so little, but try to give the impression that they have somehow made the industry so much safer for consumers... all they do is give a false sense of security and then sit on their thumbs 90% of the time when there is a complaint. i like the idea behind them, but they don't do enough.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
yeah... the "air tax" isn't really a tax. its a fee applied from the gov't, so they call it a tax. and HST is applied to the total selling price of the vehicle... which includes all fees (and "taxes").

but it's the way it always has been. the hst, gst, pst, whateverst, is calculated on the final selling price, which includes all fees, whether they are dealer, manufacturer or gov't. only license plates are outside of the taxable number.

oh, as a side note.. just got our flyer that dodge was nice enough to send out on behalf of us... for ram trucks at 26295....

the actual fine print says dealers can charge up to 1098 admin AND 1298 for "safety products" over that... that only some customers will get a 1500 rebate included in the price... and not mentioned is that there are like 20 of these in canada and that no one will trade them.

Anyone know why the government still collects the AC tax?  I seem to remember it was originally brought in the cover the cost of recovering freon.  Since that's not an issue anymore shouldn't this tax be removed?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2014, 11:56:41 am »
yeah... the "air tax" isn't really a tax. its a fee applied from the gov't, so they call it a tax. and HST is applied to the total selling price of the vehicle... which includes all fees (and "taxes").

but it's the way it always has been. the hst, gst, pst, whateverst, is calculated on the final selling price, which includes all fees, whether they are dealer, manufacturer or gov't. only license plates are outside of the taxable number.

oh, as a side note.. just got our flyer that dodge was nice enough to send out on behalf of us... for ram trucks at 26295....

the actual fine print says dealers can charge up to 1098 admin AND 1298 for "safety products" over that... that only some customers will get a 1500 rebate included in the price... and not mentioned is that there are like 20 of these in canada and that no one will trade them.

Anyone know why the government still collects the AC tax?  I seem to remember it was originally brought in the cover the cost of recovering freon.  Since that's not an issue anymore shouldn't this tax be removed?

Removed!!!!
 :rofl:

Governments remove taxes?

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2014, 03:50:58 pm »

Removed!!!!

Yes they do actually. 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2014, 05:10:11 pm »

Removed!!!!

Yes they do actually.

i know... sometimes, but I was trying to be funny!
 :P

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »
i would think it will be gone eventually... but knowing how slow the gov't works, i would think it will still be in place until the last vehicle with any kind of refrigerant that is not environmentally neutral is off the road...

i believe this year is the first of this new stuff that is much "greener"... our new trucks rolling in have the new stuff and they still show an a/c tax...

i'm actually interested now... i'm going to see if i can figure out if the air tax is going away or what.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:44 am »
my guess is it wouldn't go until someone makes a big deal about it.

most likely someone has to say; "hey, what's with the air tax, should we still have it?"
Government department requires a report.
someone reviews the report.
someone sends a recommendation to remove the tax
finally after reports, reviews, debates, (red tape and more red tape) something gets signed to remove it!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »
that is pretty brutal... 1198 is no small amount.

from a business perspective, i don't have an issue with things being mandatory to certain dealers... adding it on after a price has been negotiated is just plain wrong though.

I disagree.  I think charging anyone ANYTHING for nitrogen is fundamentally wrong.  As the people that will end up paying extra are the poor, gullible, and probably pensioners.

It should be illegal IMHO.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2014, 01:36:51 pm »
Gotta agree with Bob on this one.   It's a shady practice. Should be illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »
Gotta agree with Bob on this one.   It's a shady practice. Should be illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree too.  The outside of your tire is exposed to much tougher conditions  then the inside.  Filling your tire with nitrogen will give you no noticeable benefit in anything.  It's a scam. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »
+ 4 on that!  Talk about snake oil!  :shake:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2014, 05:37:07 pm »
^

I agree. Nitrogen is the type of add on product that has helped the car sales industry earn their shady reputation.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »
I'd like to watch this process.  I would expect that the tire cavity is taken to a complete vacuum to remove the "only" 78% nitrogen standard atmosphere and replace it with 100% nitrogen molecules.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:36 pm »
I'd like to watch this process.  I would expect that the tire cavity is taken to a complete vacuum to remove the "only" 78% nitrogen standard atmosphere and replace it with 100% nitrogen molecules.

I hear they only purge the tires.  Fill it up with nitrogen and empty it a few times.  Get it close to 100%.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2014, 10:42:53 pm »

This.  I asked the guy this when he tried to up sell my wife when she got the Mazda 3.  He didn't believe me that there was that much nitrogen in the air, and then went on to say it was a different kind of nitrogen.

We just walked out, I won't deal with liars.  That's right Select Mazda in Stoney Creek!  You lost a sale because you employ liars.

We bought elsewhere.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2014, 11:06:53 pm »
Costco filled my all all season tires for the rabbit with nitrogen. I git green valve stem caps and everything.

Supposedto help with not losing air and stuff due to more stable and bigger molecules.

Stored in door for 5 months and it lost same amount of air as my normally filled tires.   :)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »
...Kirkland Signature Nitrogen...
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2014, 11:47:56 pm »
Coscto charges exactly $0.00 for that service.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2014, 12:25:44 am »
Coscto charges exactly $0.00 for that service.

If you buy tires there....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2014, 07:46:28 am »
This.  I asked the guy this when he tried to up sell my wife when she got the Mazda 3.

Is this old or did I miss the show/shine? Either way, congrats and which model is it.