Author Topic: Mazda to put 2.5-liter turbo engine in other models  (Read 26164 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: Mazda to put 2.5-liter turbo engine in other models
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2018, 10:57:55 pm »
When I was in the dealership last month to do my lease buyout, we were talking about the 6.  Dealerships are pretty sure AWD is coming to the 6, they are just not sure if it will come at the same time as the FWD with turbo.

I got the same message last year when CX-5 shopping...  the diesel is coming....

come on, thats different. it does exist.  it just may not meet our emissions.

They've been teasing the diesel for NA for ~5+ years now.....

I know.  But it's different.  They already have AWD vehicles here, it's not very difficult to do.   So when they saw AWD is coming to the 6, I believe it.

How many years of empty promises until you stop believing them?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2018, 10:19:59 am »
When I was in the dealership last month to do my lease buyout, we were talking about the 6.  Dealerships are pretty sure AWD is coming to the 6, they are just not sure if it will come at the same time as the FWD with turbo.

I got the same message last year when CX-5 shopping...  the diesel is coming....

come on, thats different. it does exist.  it just may not meet our emissions.

They've been teasing the diesel for NA for ~5+ years now.....

I know.  But it's different.  They already have AWD vehicles here, it's not very difficult to do.   So when they saw AWD is coming to the 6, I believe it.

Please let me hear the rant.  Besides bringing a diesel to NA, what other empty promises?  If I was them I wouldn't even think of bringing a diesel here.  The take rate is so low.  Not going to improve since VW screwed things up.  And VW sold the most vehicles in 2017, how the heck is Mazda going to succeed in changing the minds of buyers here.  Leave it in the well established diesel markets. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2018, 10:28:48 am »
To be fair, Dieselgate made bringing the 2.2D here difficult...and our emissions standards are stupid.  I don't think it was an empty promise - I think Mazda legitimately tried and wanted to.  It's not like the 2.2D isn't used elsewhere in the world...

An AWD Mazda 6 makes sense, especially in Canada...but most importantly if it wants to sell as a "premium" offering, like an "almost there" 3-series or C-class...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:58 am »
To be fair, Dieselgate made bringing the 2.2D here difficult...and our emissions standards are stupid.  I don't think it was an empty promise - I think Mazda legitimately tried and wanted to.  It's not like the 2.2D isn't used elsewhere in the world...

An AWD Mazda 6 makes sense, especially in Canada...but most importantly if it wants to sell as a "premium" offering, like an "almost there" 3-series or C-class...

I would rather have an empty promise, compare to what VW pulled!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:00 pm »
The Mazda diesel was subject to a lot of complaints and a few recalls overseas, which played a part in it not coming over [as scheduled]. Softening fuel prices, and American resistance to diesel were others.
The VW mess certainly didn't help at all. 

Edit. Forgot that bit.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:39:45 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2018, 12:38:21 pm »
The Mazda diesel is supposedly still coming.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »
I don't really understand the draw for the 2.2D when the SpCCI comes out.  A tad more torque at the expense of...well, money.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »
I wonder if this is an optional engine for some trim levels? I wonder too if there's a possibility they might mate this engine with a manual transmission. I know to Mazda 6 GT manual owners personally, plus Solstice2006 on the board owns a manual GX.

I could see the turbo being standard on the GT, perhaps optional on the GS.

I was right. There's also a new Signature trim that comes standard with the turbo. Unfortunately it looks like the manual is dead even in the base motor. :/

RICHMOND HILL, ON, Feb. 20, 2018 /CNW/ - Following the Canadian debut of the 2018 Mazda6 at the auto show in Toronto, Mazda Canada today announced starting pricing for the significantly updated sedan. The 2018 Mazda6 features new and updated engine options, along with a long list of new equipment and options. Pricing for the 2018 Mazda6 starts at $27,000, and standard equipment now includes the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L engine with cylinder deactivation, the first of its kind on a four-cylinder in North America.

2018 Mazda6 (CNW Group/Mazda Canada Inc.)

The SKYACTIV-G 2.5L with cylinder deactivation is paired exclusively with the SKYACTIV-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission for a smooth and seamless driving experience. Along with the upgrades under the hood, the entry-level Mazda6 GS also includes new standard equipment such as LED headlights, automatic dual-zone climate controls, rear HVAC ventilation, and a larger Mazda Connect screen (8-inch vs 7-inch). Standard safety equipment includes Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), and Smart City Brake Support (SCBS).

New for 2018, the Mazda6 now offers a choice of engines with the addition of the SKYACTIV-G 2.5T with Dynamic Pressure Turbo, producing 227 hp on 87 octane gasoline (250 hp with 93 octane) and 310 lb-ft of torque from a low 2,000 RPM. This Ward's 10 Best award-winning engine, first seen in the Mazda CX-9 crossover, is optional in Mazda6 GS-L mid-trim models, and standard equipment starting with GT and the new Signature models.

Topping the 2018 Mazda6 range at $38,800 MSRP, the new Signature trim elevates the Mazda6 from its traditional competitive set into a higher class, with unparalleled craftsmanship and authentic materials. Brown Nappa leather upholstery is inspired by the aged wood in ancient Japanese temples; Ultrasuede® with a subtle gold tint adorns the lower dashboard and door panels, using a similar technique to that which is used to make ornate kimonos; and Sen wood accents, a type of wood often used in taiko drums and Japanese furniture, are also found on the dashboard and door panels. Technology is also a Signature highlight, with all-new features added to the Mazda6 such as a Top View Monitor, digital meter set with seven-inch TFT display, and front/rear parking sensors.

The 2018 Mazda6 will arrive at dealerships nationwide beginning in April. More information including full pricing, specifications, and fuel economy will be released closer to the on-sale date.

Mazda Canada Inc. is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer service and parts support of Mazda vehicles in Canada. Headquartered in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Mazda Canada has a nationwide network of 165 dealerships. For additional information visit Mazda Canada's media website at www.media.mazda.ca.

SOURCE Mazda Canada Inc.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:07 pm »
I wonder if this is an optional engine for some trim levels? I wonder too if there's a possibility they might mate this engine with a manual transmission. I know to Mazda 6 GT manual owners personally, plus Solstice2006 on the board owns a manual GX.

I could see the turbo being standard on the GT, perhaps optional on the GS.

I was right. There's also a new Signature trim that comes standard with the turbo. Unfortunately it looks like the manual is dead even in the base motor. :/

RICHMOND HILL, ON, Feb. 20, 2018 /CNW/ - Following the Canadian debut of the 2018 Mazda6 at the auto show in Toronto, Mazda Canada today announced starting pricing for the significantly updated sedan. The 2018 Mazda6 features new and updated engine options, along with a long list of new equipment and options. Pricing for the 2018 Mazda6 starts at $27,000, and standard equipment now includes the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L engine with cylinder deactivation, the first of its kind on a four-cylinder in North America.

2018 Mazda6 (CNW Group/Mazda Canada Inc.)

The SKYACTIV-G 2.5L with cylinder deactivation is paired exclusively with the SKYACTIV-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission for a smooth and seamless driving experience. Along with the upgrades under the hood, the entry-level Mazda6 GS also includes new standard equipment such as LED headlights, automatic dual-zone climate controls, rear HVAC ventilation, and a larger Mazda Connect screen (8-inch vs 7-inch). Standard safety equipment includes Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), and Smart City Brake Support (SCBS).

New for 2018, the Mazda6 now offers a choice of engines with the addition of the SKYACTIV-G 2.5T with Dynamic Pressure Turbo, producing 227 hp on 87 octane gasoline (250 hp with 93 octane) and 310 lb-ft of torque from a low 2,000 RPM. This Ward's 10 Best award-winning engine, first seen in the Mazda CX-9 crossover, is optional in Mazda6 GS-L mid-trim models, and standard equipment starting with GT and the new Signature models.

Topping the 2018 Mazda6 range at $38,800 MSRP, the new Signature trim elevates the Mazda6 from its traditional competitive set into a higher class, with unparalleled craftsmanship and authentic materials. Brown Nappa leather upholstery is inspired by the aged wood in ancient Japanese temples; Ultrasuede® with a subtle gold tint adorns the lower dashboard and door panels, using a similar technique to that which is used to make ornate kimonos; and Sen wood accents, a type of wood often used in taiko drums and Japanese furniture, are also found on the dashboard and door panels. Technology is also a Signature highlight, with all-new features added to the Mazda6 such as a Top View Monitor, digital meter set with seven-inch TFT display, and front/rear parking sensors.

The 2018 Mazda6 will arrive at dealerships nationwide beginning in April. More information including full pricing, specifications, and fuel economy will be released closer to the on-sale date.

Mazda Canada Inc. is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer service and parts support of Mazda vehicles in Canada. Headquartered in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Mazda Canada has a nationwide network of 165 dealerships. For additional information visit Mazda Canada's media website at www.media.mazda.ca.

SOURCE Mazda Canada Inc.

227 hp on regular and 250 hp on 93 premium (which I haven't seen sold in the maritimes yet) is kind of weak sauce.  And now they won't offer a manual transmission, guess I'll be crossing it off my list of vehicles I'm interested in.  It's too bad because it's such a good looking vehicle inside and out.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2018, 03:40:26 pm »
When I saw it at the auto show, I was curious to see if the rumours about AWD would possibly be true.  I got down on my hands and knees and checked under the car, only to be bested by those smart folks at Mazda - the undercarriage was covered by a felt material (clearly not going to be in the production car).

I was positive that the secretive layering meant that AWD hardware was under there, but I'm surprised to see the announcement being devoid of same.  That's pretty sh!tty.

The interior did look quite nice, but even with the fancy materials it's not worth $39,000 loaded.  Shame -  AWD really could have made it an alternative to a 3-series or a G70 ;).

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2018, 03:54:50 pm »

At darn-near $40K, all this without AWD is simply lipstick on a pig. 

And this, this is terrible: Ultrasuede with a subtle gold tint adorns the lower dashboard and door panels  Ultrasuede is just about the WORST material for surfaces that have a high rub / scuff rate. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2018, 04:10:22 pm »

And this, this is terrible: Ultrasuede with a subtle gold tint adorns the lower dashboard and door panels  Ultrasuede is just about the WORST material for surfaces that have a high rub / scuff rate.

What are you talking about?  How is upgrading the interior materials, technology, and power train on one of the best looking sedans putting lipstick on a pig? 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2018, 05:11:49 pm »

227 hp on regular and 250 hp on 93 premium (which I haven't seen sold in the maritimes yet) is kind of weak sauce.  And now they won't offer a manual transmission, guess I'll be crossing it off my list of vehicles I'm interested in.  It's too bad because it's such a good looking vehicle inside and out.

Pretty similar numbers to competitors, just a bit more torque.  I agree, shame they got rid of the GX trim.  Was around the same price of a Mazda 3 GT.  Lack of manual is not a deal breaker for me. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2018, 05:15:05 pm »
So the Accord is the last manual mid-sizer?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2018, 05:19:44 pm »

I'll just put this here for you....

https://carbuzz.com/news/that-all-wheel-drive-2018-mazda6-probably-isn-t-going-to-happen

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2018, 05:39:35 pm »

https://carbuzz.com/news/that-all-wheel-drive-2018-mazda6-probably-isn-t-going-to-happen

Oh no!  What am I going to do?  Guess I would have to buy some ugly car that offers AWD instead.  Maybe one with a front end that looks like my snowblower. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2018, 05:47:17 pm »

Oh no!  What am I going to do?  Guess I would have to buy some ugly car that offers AWD instead.  Maybe one with a front end that looks like my snowblower.

Do you still believe Mazda?  That's the real question!   ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2018, 05:54:31 pm »

Do you still believe Mazda?  That's the real question!   ;D

It's not like they aren't trying.  When they said they were going to bring the diesel here, they tried.  It's not like it doesn't exist, because it does.  Just doesn't meet our regulations.  As for the AWD, could be this platform can't accommodate the AWD, not sure.  As this is technically still a mid cycle refresh.

Do you still think Lexus makes good looking cars? 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2018, 05:59:10 pm »

Do you still think Lexus makes good looking cars?

Yes.  But not all of them work with the current design language.

But it's always been that way for me....I've always liked some Lexus models and others not so much.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:24 pm »

It's not like they aren't trying.  When they said they were going to bring the diesel here, they tried.  It's not like it doesn't exist, because it does.  Just doesn't meet our regulations.  As for the AWD, could be this platform can't accommodate the AWD, not sure.  As this is technically still a mid cycle refresh.

And I just don't think Mazda tried all that hard...especially with the diesel.