Author Topic: What's the difference between a "crossover" and an SUV?  (Read 5597 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
What's the difference between a "crossover" and an SUV?
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:51 am »
There's a bewildering selection of new crossovers/SUVs on the new vehicle market today but what actually separates the two types of vehicle?  Traditionally, I would have said that an SUV was anything built to perform well off-road and would probably have a low-range transfer case.  Manufacturers that I associate with SUVs are typically Jeep, Land Rover, Toyota and Nissan.  However, a lot of the modern vehicles by these manufacturers don't have the low ratio gears, so does that mean that some Jeeps and Land Rovers for instance aren't SUVs but crossovers?

In the beginning, a crossover for me would have been anything with chunky styling and a higher ride height but not AWD/4WD.  I'm talking about the Kia Souls, Nissan Jukes/Qashquais and Toyota CH-Rs of this world for instance but I would also say that most of the new subcompact crossovers/SUVs with their slip and grip AWD systems would definitely be classed as crossovers.  Stuff like the Mazda CX-3/Honda HRV/Chevrolet Trax/Honda Tucson are basically just jacked-up compact cars.  Where does that leave Subaru with their symmetrical AWD though?  Vehicles like the Crosstrek/Forester/Outback actually have some pretty decent off-road capability but don't fit the traditional SUV template.

Stuff like the Nissan X-terra, Toyota 4Runner etc, I would say are SUVs but where does that leave the Nissan Pathfinder/Toyota Highlander.  The "old" Pathfinder, I would have definitely have said SUV but the new one, I'm not so sure.

Even the manufacturers themselves seem a little confused.  On their own website, Ford classify the Escape and Explorer as SUVs but the Edge as a crossover!  The Explorer I kind of get but with the Escape/Edge, I fail to really see the distinction.

Does it come down to how they drive?  I test drove a new Mazda CX-9 last month.  Very nice vehicle, good-looking, well finished and equipped, AWD but it drove very much like a mid-size sedan with a higher ride height.  It's a more stylish, AWD van basically, so I would say crossover.

A Jeep/Land Rover has its own unique feel though and you don't really feel like your driving a normal car.  I'm testing out a new GMC Acadia later in the week.  It looks chunkier than the CX-9 and I imagine being a GMC may feel a bit more truck-like (in a good way) too and I also see that they are doing an All-Terrain model with some proper off-road capability (not something that Mazda offer on the CX-9), so does that make it an SUV, not a crossover?  I don't know.

So, can we try and answer the question once and for all.  What is the difference between an SUV and a crossover and what qualities/attributes define them?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:40:51 am by BritWRX »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: What's the difference between a "crossover" and an SUV?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:07 am »
This falls under "who cares" IMO.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:15 am »
BOF VS car platform - simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:59:23 am »
No it's not.

The original Pathfinder is an SUV. It's also unibody.

I'm with Rrocket, who cares?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:51:08 am »
I will save everyone time and stress...  :banghead:

I agree, who cares.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:44 am »
BOF VS car platform - simple as that.

I think this is generally true but there are exceptions. Second gen Pathfinder and the XJ Cherokee, for example. I also would say BOF vs. unibody. You can have a unibody that isn't a car platform.

As with many segments, I think the line has been blurred a bit.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:28:50 am »
Most people, myself included, are in the who cares camp. SUV rolls off the tongue easier than CUV, but I'll call them crossovers too.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:32:57 am »
If anything it's true 4x4 with a low range vs. AWD.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:38:35 am »
If anything it's true 4x4 with a low range vs. AWD.

There are plenty of 2WD SUVs though.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:57:59 am »
SUV stands for 'Sport Utility Vehicle', it doesn't necessarily mean going off-road, rock-crawling, and wading through 3-feet deep water. 
I use mine to load up the back with four golf bags and two push carts, including four adults.   ;D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:58:54 am »
I would have also said body-on-frame vs unitbody.  However, as pointed out, the XJ and 2nd gen Pathfinder buck that trend.

What if we said Longitudinal engine vs. transverse engine?  Both the XJ and 2nd Gen Pathfinder were Longitudinal engine with rear wheel drive, part-time 4wd, and driveshafts.  All new cross-overs are transverse-engine.

The exception would be the Subaru.  They are longitudinal engined, and yet I would still consider them cross-overs.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:59:50 am »
SUV stands for 'Sport Utility Vehicle', it doesn't necessarily mean going off-road, rock-crawling, and wading through 3-feet deep water. 
I use mine to load up the back with four golf bags and two push carts, including four adults.   ;D

An SUV still denotes some sort of off-road ability.  Otherwise it's just a minivan.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:04:04 am »

An SUV still denotes some sort of off-road ability.  Otherwise it's just a minivan.

Not necessarily. Wouldn't you call this an SUV?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 10:05:29 am »
Certainly more truck that happens to have 7/8/9 passenger capacity than SUV.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:11 am »
It's gotten to the point where 'crossover' means 'small to mid sized SUV like vehicle'.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 10:21:53 am »
The early SUVs were smaller than the Suburbans.  They've always sorta been in a class of their own.

Pathfinder, 4Runner, Explorer and Cherokee.  Those are the models that got the craze going.

Incidentally, my dad had two of the first gen 2 door Pathfinders.  In a manual.  He loved them.  He also had two of the 3rd Gen Pathfinders, with autos. Loved those too.  He'd never buy the 4th and 5 gen models. Ever.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 10:27:35 am »
To me its simple, proper 4x4 system and the engine pointing longitudinally. Anything front wheel based with a "on demand" awd, is a CUV.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 10:31:02 am »
To me its simple, proper 4x4 system and the engine pointing longitudinally. Anything front wheel based with a "on demand" awd, is a CUV.

That makes more sense to me.  The BOF vs. unibody argument is surely a bit out of date?  Grand Cherokee is unibody, as has the Range Rover been for around 15 years and I wouldn't call them crossovers or compromised off-road.  Unibody means lighter, less NVH, better handling and improvements in engineering mean that strength hasn't been compromised.  Are there many non truck-based BOF SUVs left?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 10:35:46 am »
MY LR4 covers the unibody vs frame argument by having both  ;D For me a SUV is something you can take off road (decommisioned FSRs, paths etc) without the fear of tearing a hole in the oil pan, transmission or gas tank.

So for me: SUV = tow hooks, skid plates. Bonus for two speed locking transfer case. Able to carry 5+ passengers in relative comfort (ie. everyone gets a seat).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 10:43:20 am »
MY LR4 covers the unibody vs frame argument by having both  ;D For me a SUV is something you can take off road (decommisioned FSRs, paths etc) without the fear of tearing a hole in the oil pan, transmission or gas tank.

So for me: SUV = tow hooks, skid plates. Bonus for two speed locking transfer case. Able to carry 5+ passengers in relative comfort (ie. everyone gets a seat).

So what do you call a 2WD Tahoe or 4Runner?