Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 124097 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2018, 10:43:58 am »
Best of both worlds would be to have the current setup as the base model and add a tech package which would include nav and the active safety features. But the take rate on this model is already going to be minuscule enough as it is, sadly.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2018, 10:46:34 am »
Agreed. Looking at all 6 versions of this car based on the somewhat limited information currently available on the web site, I think our "resident brand manager" has done an excellent job in specifying the right bits to package each one, and pick the right number of variants too to suit most people's preferences and (presumably) budgets. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:53 am »
As for the navi, for those who aren't familiar, there's no fiddling - you plug in your phone, then it hijacks the car's central display.
When it's wireless, I'll bite on that argument...but having to plug your phone in each time...gah.

The shifter...why?  Why use a "park" button?  What's wrong with a normal shifter FFS?  This is how people die.

The brown leather in the photos posted...not ventilated, I take it?  The grey interior for sure looks like the seats are ventilated.

It's all going to come down to pricing and packages.  I'd be perfectly content with a 2.0T AWD in grey with a brown interior, solid headlights (be they HID or LED), heated and ventilated seats, driver's memory function, HUD, and adaptive cruise control.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2018, 10:56:00 am »
As for the navi, for those who aren't familiar, there's no fiddling - you plug in your phone, then it hijacks the car's central display.
When it's wireless, I'll bite on that argument...but having to plug your phone in each time...gah.

Wireless CarPlay exists, I know BMW has it. Not sure about this Genesis though.

The shifter...why?  Why use a "park" button?  What's wrong with a normal shifter FFS?  This is how people die.

Get a manual. Problem solved.  :P

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:02 am »
Patrick, any details on how the 2.0T with a manual will be equipped or what options there will be?

We don't do options, just packages. I configured the 2.0T Sport in a single driver-focused specification for the time being. Off the base spec, it deletes all-wheel drive, the automatic, and the active driver assistance tech (Forward Collision Avoidance, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, High Beam Assist). In their place, it adds:

- Sport exterior appearance package including the 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 rubber
- Sport interior appearance including the quilted Nappa leather seats and black suede headliner
- Limited Slip Differential (multi-plate clutch type)
- Brembo brakes
- Sport exhaust

The car also has a range of important more comfort- and style-oriented features:

- LED headlights
- Rear parking sensors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Driver's integrated memory system
- 16-way adjustable driver's seat with power thigh extension and bolsters (which tighten automatically in Sport mode)
- Head-Up Display
- Wide sunroof
- 15-speaker Lexicon surround-sound audio
- Power-folding side mirrors with Genesis logo projection puddle lamps

Everything else that's standard (i.e. heated seats, heated steering wheel, 8.0" display with CarPlay/Android Auto, Blind Spot Collision Warning, etc.) is present and accounted for. The only thing that's missing that I'd consider "big" is navigation, but in our view this is not a big issue since CP/AA allow you to use your phone's.

It took a lot of negotiating with the factory to make this package happen and I'm quite pleased with how it ended up. Full details at acquisition.genesis.com.

That looks exactly like how I would option a G70.  I don't care about the active safety features, navigation, or power passanger seats.  Heck I'd like it even more if the wheels were 18's instead of 19's (but they're probably that big for the larger brakes) and lose the sunroof as I have never found that feature appealing.  But you can't cater to everyones tastes and I think the package you help build is a good one for the intended purpose/user.

Oh yeah - that right there works for me.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2018, 11:02:00 am »

The brown leather in the photos posted...not ventilated, I take it?  The grey interior for sure looks like the seats are ventilated.

It's all going to come down to pricing and packages.  I'd be perfectly content with a 2.0T AWD in grey with a brown interior, solid headlights (be they HID or LED), heated and ventilated seats, driver's memory function, HUD, and adaptive cruise control.

The "Elite" has all that, no need to go to the next level up. Here are all the packages;

https://acquisition.genesis.com/preorder/156993/trim/

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2018, 11:11:48 am »
What really gets me about the car are the colors.  They're spectacular and run completely contrary to what's happening in the luxury market right now. 

Look at Audi for a great example of that; their current generation cars have the usual black, silver a gold, then (maybe) a red.  The most notable color addition is Navarra Blue on the North American S-series models which is a drab, lifeless and pathetic replacement for the stunning Sepang Blue.  We don't even get Ara Blue Crystal here. 

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2018, 11:24:28 am »

Shifter - it is what it is, not my call! Order the manual if you need to  ;)

Brown leather - yes, it's ventilated. Every model except the base unit and the 2.0T Sport has ventilated front seats.

Pricing - the 2.0T Elite, which is just second up from the base, offers the brown leather and everything you listed except the HUD. It will be extremely competitively priced.

Regarding some of the other comments about packaging preferences, we've worked to strike what we think is the right balance. Invariably we may be off-base in our estimation of what "most people" want, but we are constantly taking in feedback from the field so we can make adjustments if need be.

Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:36 am »
Shifter - it is what it is, not my call!
Is it a ZF unit?  I think ZF, in making a fantastic transmission, unfortunately specified an odd shifter requirement.  The unit used in the G70 is not unlike what BMW uses:

I got used to it in the Z4, and I'll get used to it in the G70.  Still, I just wish for something faking simpler considering the consequences of doing it wrong as a result of being an idiot, brain-farting, or being an idiot.

Pricing - the 2.0T Elite, which is just second up from the base, offers the brown leather and everything you listed except the HUD. It will be extremely competitively priced.
What level do I have to get to get a HUD?  Even though "value" priced, my $40-50k pre-tax vehicle ought to have everything I want...and I'd say my list isn't exactly "difficult".

I guess the HUD isn't that big a deal, but having to package up another few grand to get it... bah.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2018, 11:54:56 am »
The Prestige (one level up from Elite) has HUD. It also had a adaptive cornering lights. It's disappointing you have to go so high up in the range to get those.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:33 pm »
Is it expected to be priced competitively with the Stinger, or more?  At least in pics it looks WAY better, plus you don't have that cheap "KIA" badge staring at you from the steering wheel

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2018, 01:08:28 pm »
Don't we need to know the pricing before we can conclude what should be included in any given trim level?
I'm starting to think so.  I suspect the base price will be quite attractive, but then optioning it the way you want (like most car pricing) will put it beyond what you expected.

If the Elite 2.0T AWD is in the mid-$40ks, I may still be very interested...but if it's $48,xxx+++, I'm likely looking elsewhere.  This is a great car in its own merit, but its sales success will be based on it being a relative bargain compared to the 3-series, C-class, etc, all of which start in the high $30ks/low $40ks.

The Lexus IS300 AWD is $43,500 as I'd configure it...it lacks a HUD as well, but has the so-called Lexus reliability and resale value.  That, and a V6 vs an 2.0T.  So, does the G70 come in below the IS300AWD in Elite trim?  That'll be the question for me.  If a Lexus product undercuts the G70, it's a problem.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2018, 01:28:33 pm »
That $43,600 Lexus isn't really comparable to an Elite though. No sunroof, no heated steering wheel, no nav, no adaptive cruise or other active safety functions, no memory driver's seat, no ventilated seats, no premium audio, etc.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2018, 01:29:22 pm »
Sales with depend what the lease cost per month works out to
Needs  to less the the 3 series cost per month

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:23 pm »
That $43,600 Lexus isn't really comparable to an Elite though. No sunroof, no heated steering wheel, no nav, no adaptive cruise or other active safety functions, no memory driver's seat, no ventilated seats, no premium audio, etc.

Exactly, that Lexus has less equipment than our base car, much less the Elite. Also, it's not a V6 anymore - it's a 2.0T like the rest of the segment.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2018, 02:29:05 pm »

That's why I'm just going to put in an Alpine ILX-107 aftermarket head unit with wireless Carplay. The only OE implementation of wireless Carplay right now is BMW.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2018, 02:29:56 pm »
What is "Driver's Integrated Memory System (IMS)"?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2018, 02:45:07 pm »
What is "Driver's Integrated Memory System (IMS)"?

Don't know.  But guessing it's an integrated recall of driver position settings - seat / steering wheel / mirrors.  Or maybe it helps you remember your wedding anniversary - don't know.  :)

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »
Sales with depend what the lease cost per month works out to
Needs  to less the the 3 series cost per month

And that's the problem I'm realizing with the Stinger lease options.  Depreciation is astronomical according to the lease numbers and as a result it isn't that much more to lease a 4-series GC or Audi A5.  With the current Audi promotions even the baseline S5 is getting within (somewhat) spitting distance of the Stinger.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2018, 02:57:34 pm »

Exactly, that Lexus has less equipment than our base car, much less the Elite. Also, it's not a V6 anymore - it's a 2.0T like the rest of the segment.

Actually the Lexus is still a V6. The 2.0T is only available with RWD (for now).