Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 124106 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2018, 12:31:18 pm »
Jaeger - A word of warning. Do NOT drive one of these. If you do, I guarantee you'll soon be parted from some of your money  ;)

I believe it.  >:(
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:06 pm »

Below are a bunch of photos - would love to hear what everyone thinks. I'm so, so excited for this one. Can't say too much about the driving experience other than it's in another league from our past products. I'd go so far as to say this may very well be the best-driving car in the segment, from steering to braking to power delivery (0-60 in ~4.7 sec!). It's also got lovely interior materials, with quilted Nappa leather, brushed aluminum, and leather wrapping on the dashboard. Oh, and I almost forgot - there's also a 2.0T Sport model with a 6-speed manual and all the high-performance bits!

3.3T Sport in Mallorca Blue with grey interior stitching

2.0T Prestige in Himalayan Grey with Caramel Brown interior

It's been a few months now since I drove the G70, but seeing those pics here -- particularly of the interior on the grey car -- I'm reminded of just how well Genesis aced the styling of this thing, inside and out.  That mocha-coloured, diamond-patterned leather is stunning 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »
I have to agree. That brown, diamond quilted leather is gorgeous! I also like the front end and hood emblem....looks Bentley-ish to me.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2018, 02:30:58 pm »

That's because it's ugly.   [emoji14]

I dunno...if you think the front of the GS is ugly,  the G70 would be equally offensive to you I'd think.

The grille treatment on either is large and ostentatious.

I don't mind either fwiw.
They look  similar

Guess I always have their SUV's in mind.  That car's not so bad...I still like the G70's looks better.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:50:57 pm by BWII »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2018, 03:36:45 pm »
The G70 is a seriously nice car in and out indeed !

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2018, 05:42:35 pm »
Patrick, any details on how the 2.0T with a manual will be equipped or what options there will be?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
Patrick, any details on how the 2.0T with a manual will be equipped or what options there will be?

We don't do options, just packages. I configured the 2.0T Sport in a single driver-focused specification for the time being. Off the base spec, it deletes all-wheel drive, the automatic, and the active driver assistance tech (Forward Collision Avoidance, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, High Beam Assist). In their place, it adds:

- Sport exterior appearance package including the 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 rubber
- Sport interior appearance including the quilted Nappa leather seats and black suede headliner
- Limited Slip Differential (multi-plate clutch type)
- Brembo brakes
- Sport exhaust

The car also has a range of important more comfort- and style-oriented features:

- LED headlights
- Rear parking sensors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Driver's integrated memory system
- 16-way adjustable driver's seat with power thigh extension and bolsters (which tighten automatically in Sport mode)
- Head-Up Display
- Wide sunroof
- 15-speaker Lexicon surround-sound audio
- Power-folding side mirrors with Genesis logo projection puddle lamps

Everything else that's standard (i.e. heated seats, heated steering wheel, 8.0" display with CarPlay/Android Auto, Blind Spot Collision Warning, etc.) is present and accounted for. The only thing that's missing that I'd consider "big" is navigation, but in our view this is not a big issue since CP/AA allow you to use your phone's.

It took a lot of negotiating with the factory to make this package happen and I'm quite pleased with how it ended up. Full details at acquisition.genesis.com.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2018, 07:55:05 pm »
So no power passenger seat?  ??? :'(

Oh well...I'd be using it as a commuter...if I were able.  Who needs passengers?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2018, 08:23:52 pm »
Surprise! We revealed the G70 for the first time in Canada the other day at the Montreal Auto Show. It's been mobbed on the show stand ever since. The photos below show near production-spec models, with the 3.3T Sport in blue and a 2.0T Prestige in grey (albeit with incorrect Brembo brakes - this one would have regular brakes). The wheels on the 3.3T Sport are the new North America-spec 19" Sport wheel that hasn't really been shown anywhere yet. Pricing isn't yet announced but the car can be pre-ordered today at genesis.ca. We've already collected several deposits!

I did a Facebook live walk-around which can be viewed on our Facebook page if you want to see the car on video - just try and ignore the loser talking  :rofl2:. https://www.facebook.com/GenesisMotorsCA/

Below are a bunch of photos - would love to hear what everyone thinks. I'm so, so excited for this one. Can't say too much about the driving experience other than it's in another league from our past products. I'd go so far as to say this may very well be the best-driving car in the segment, from steering to braking to power delivery (0-60 in ~4.7 sec!). It's also got lovely interior materials, with quilted Nappa leather, brushed aluminum, and leather wrapping on the dashboard. Oh, and I almost forgot - there's also a 2.0T Sport model with a 6-speed manual and all the high-performance bits!

More to come this spring, including a show and shine with a 3.3T Sport in Nürburg Green once it shows up in my driveway  ;)

3.3T Sport in Mallorca Blue with grey interior stitching

2.0T Prestige in Himalayan Grey with Caramel Brown interior

That Mallorca Blue looks fantastic, as does does the quilted leather seats.  I prefer a more stream lined approach when it comes to the Nav screen, but other than that, this car looks goddamn good inside and out.   :thumbup: :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2018, 08:26:09 pm »

We don't do options, just packages. I configured the 2.0T Sport in a single driver-focused specification for the time being. Off the base spec, it deletes all-wheel drive, the automatic, and the active driver assistance tech (Forward Collision Avoidance, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, High Beam Assist). In their place, it adds:

- Sport exterior appearance package including the 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 rubber
- Sport interior appearance including the quilted Nappa leather seats and black suede headliner
- Brembo brakes
- Sport exhaust

The car also has a range of important more comfort- and style-oriented features:

- LED headlights
- Rear parking sensors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 16-way adjustable driver's seat with power thigh extension and bolsters (which tighten automatically in Sport mode)
- Head-Up Display
- Wide sunroof

Everything else that's standard (i.e. heated seats, heated steering wheel, 8.0" display with CarPlay/Android Auto, Blind Spot Collision Warning, etc.) is present and accounted for. The only thing that's missing that I'd consider "big" is navigation, but in our view this is not a big issue since CP/AA allow you to use your phone's.

It took a lot of negotiating with the factory to make this package happen and I'm quite pleased with how it ended up. Full details at acquisition.genesis.com.

Is nav an option? ,it's a must have for me,not messing around with my phone

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2018, 08:30:19 pm »
Full details at acquisition.genesis.com

I believe he said no options.  All packages.  Part of owning a "drivers car" is getting lost, no?  ;D

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:48 pm »

Oh well...I'd be using it as a commuter...if I were able.  Who needs passengers?

The idea is to keep the weight down and price reasonable for that particular model, so some things need to be left out.

As for the navi, for those who aren't familiar, there's no fiddling - you plug in your phone, then it hijacks the car's central display. You press the big map button just like you would for the car's in-dash unit, and presto, high-resolution maps with full traffic support - just powered by your phone instead of the car's own infotainment unit. Since the advent of Apple CarPlay I've stopped using in-dash navigation entirely even in cars where it's available.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:50:01 pm by Patrick_D1 »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2018, 10:11:20 pm »
Waiting for the online brochure and pricing, the official versions that is.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »
Thanks for the details – it sounds quite well equipped. Love that the premium audio is included, for example. But, no nav seems like a significant omission IMO.

It will be interesting to see how many of this model are actually sold. Do you know if a similar model is available in the U.S.?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2018, 07:18:38 am »

The idea is to keep the weight down and price reasonable for that particular model, so some things need to be left out.

As for the navi, for those who aren't familiar, there's no fiddling - you plug in your phone, then it hijacks the car's central display. You press the big map button just like you would for the car's in-dash unit, and presto, high-resolution maps with full traffic support - just powered by your phone instead of the car's own infotainment unit. Since the advent of Apple CarPlay I've stopped using in-dash navigation entirely even in cars where it's available.

No power on passenger seat big mistake, had a car with heated driver seat but without a heated passenger seat , thought it was very cheap, and that was in the '90's to do that in 2018 is  unacceptable

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2018, 08:04:22 am »

I'd say that's the right decision based on the mission of the Sport. 
In a 4 door sedan, how often does the passenger seat get moved? My wife sets it back almost as far as it will go, and there it sits pretty much forever.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2018, 08:14:16 am »

In a 4 door sedan, how often does the passenger seat get moved? My wife sets it back almost as far as it will go, and there it sits pretty much forever.

I quite agree.  Then again, for some people no sunroof is a deal-breaker on a Golf R, and the lack of a washer fluid warning light is an outrageous scandal.  ;D  Let's just say our priorities differ.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2018, 09:44:50 am »

- Brembo brakes
- Sport exhaust

- LED headlights
- Rear parking sensors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Head-Up Display
- Wide sunroof

Is the sunroof power sliding or just a glass panel? For my use I enjoy the sunshine coming into the cabin but rarely open the sunroof. Maybe some $ to save here.
Also, if the passenger seat does not have power adjustments then is it at least multi adjustable including up and down?
NAV for me as well as opposed to using my phone, unless of course the NAV is terrible. Maybe play the NAV off with the HUD you've included.Just my .02
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2018, 10:13:12 am »

I quite agree.  Then again, for some people no sunroof is a deal-breaker on a Golf R, and the lack of a washer fluid warning light is an outrageous scandal.  ;D  Let's just say our priorities differ.

In a perfect world, we'd be able to select which options we want or don't want. Obviously that doesn't really work very well in our market where most cars are bought off of the lot.

I can definitely live without a power passenger seat.

I could also live without nav since the car has Apple CarPlay – but does the HUD show any info from your phone? I like that in my car the HUD shows nav directions and when navigating through songs it shows the current song title.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2018, 10:40:33 am »

- Brembo brakes
- Sport exhaust

- LED headlights
- Rear parking sensors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Head-Up Display
- Wide sunroof

That looks exactly like how I would option a G70.  I don't care about the active safety features, navigation, or power passanger seats.  Heck I'd like it even more if the wheels were 18's instead of 19's (but they're probably that big for the larger brakes) and lose the sunroof as I have never found that feature appealing.  But you can't cater to everyones tastes and I think the package you help build is a good one for the intended purpose/user.