Author Topic: Winter tires  (Read 30831 times)

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +754/-2089
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Fozzie XT; '10 Mazda 3
Re: Winter tires
« Reply #620 on: November 30, 2017, 11:16:06 am »
Just buy some wheel covers to hide the rust?
1) I have hubcaps.  I took them off cuz I hates them ;D
2) While the steelies are technically 7 years old and have been mounted since the car was manufactured, the car barely saw any winter driving and was a garage queen.  The rims are pristine for now.  There's no rust as of yet.  I'm just wondering how to avoid them getting all icky.

The wife's rims, on the other hand, have seen 6 winters truly.  Haven't looked at them (the Fozzie's parked out back today - wife's in Niagara with her mom and I work close to Costco - cheap gas!)...but I'm sure they could use some treatment.

Who knows.  Probably won't bother doing anything, as per usual ;D  Maybe in the spring when it's warm out.

Offline G.Bombay

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jetta TDI , 2013 SantaFe, 2008 KLR 650
« Reply #621 on: November 30, 2017, 11:27:51 am »
I had my WS-80's mounted last Thursday.

Compared to the OEM 15" tires there is a negligible tradeoff in handling/ride comfort and virtually no difference in noise.  The handling difference seems to be a bit more lateral motion in quick transitions but once it takes a set it's confidence inspiring.  Impact harshness seems to have increased over rough pavement, not surprising given that the sidewalls seem to be a bit stiffer than the stock tires.

We had a few inches of snow fall this Sunday. It was a cool day so the snow stuck around.  The salt trucks weren't out yet so where the road was packed down ice had formed.  On untracked snow it was still pretty slick.  These tires are incredible.  It was as though there was no snow on the ground.  There was virtually no slippage taking off as you normally would and it took a heavy prod of the brake pedal to get any sort of ABS intervention.

The Golf also seems like it will be a good winter car.  When accelerating hard the traction control was able to put the power down, it felt like the brake vectoring system was helping the car take corners at speed and the steering wasn't upset by slush piles at highway speed.  I am not sure how much of this is due to the TDI engine being over the drive wheels but first impressions indicate it's a way better winter car than the Mazda5.
I also find our Jetta TDI with WS80's to be ridiculously confident in winter conditions too. I swear if you stay off the turbo when taking off it will plow through anything with no slip.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +227/-150
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »
Just came back from my first real test drive on the winters and finding a big difference going from 18 to 17s.  The ride is much more supple over bumps and ruts, and especially noticeable on things like expansion joints.  It's like it has changed it into more of a luxury car than sports sedan, which should work better on our pocked up winter roads. 

Not enough snow yet to test traction but seemed to work well on the icy parking lot where we took the dog for a walk earlier. 

Offline stodge

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +79/-99
    • View Profile
    • http://stodge.blogspot.com
  • Cars: 2017 Nissan Maxima SL, 2010 Nissan Versa
« Reply #623 on: December 11, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »
My Continental Si types have a bit of a whine on wet roads at 80km/h. No snow yet to test them.

Offline 1FGC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +108/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 128i
« Reply #624 on: December 11, 2017, 07:40:04 pm »
My Continental Si types have a bit of a whine on wet roads at 80km/h. No snow yet to test them.

Tomorrow will be a good testing day!

Offline stodge

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +79/-99
    • View Profile
    • http://stodge.blogspot.com
  • Cars: 2017 Nissan Maxima SL, 2010 Nissan Versa
« Reply #625 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:34 am »

Tomorrow will be a good testing day!

First short run out for the school run was fine. We had about 10cm overnight.

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 12, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
Have Xi3s on the Forester (previous were WS70s) and WS80s on the Mazds3.

Completely unfair to test since the Forester is far better in inclimate weather than the Mazda, but the Xi3s are not disappointing on the Forester at all compared to the WS70s they replaced.

The Mazda without traction control is pretty meh on get up and go, but feels stable for lane changes and braking.

All is to say you can't go wrong with either. As for claims that the Bridgestones wear faster, that's not what we experienced with the WS70s on the Forester, which lasted 6 winters and about 35,000km when they were replaced with more than 9/32" left all around. They were also mounted early (October most years) and came off late (May).

Recommendation is to go for whichever is cheaper, honestly, since you can't go wrong with either choice IMO

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +114/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1986 Porsche 951, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude
« Reply #627 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:05 am »
^I've got the Toyo GSi5's on the JGC and they worked great this morning on the way to work here in Ottawa, great grip all around and predictable at the limits, no surprises!!

I think with any of the top 10 winter tires you can't go wrong at all!!
Past loves: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 6-spd, 2006 Volvo V70 2.5T AWD, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR-600, 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S 6-spd, 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L 5-spd, 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-spd, 1994 Mazda MX-6 5-spd, 1989 Suzuki GS-500, 1986 Mazda 323 Hatch 5-spd

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +50/-199
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #628 on: December 12, 2017, 10:13:36 am »
I didn't really care for the DSC calibration on the Mazda3 (BM-series from 2014). It allowed a tiny bit of slip, and then came down like an anvil and drowned all forward progress out- even with the winter tires. That made pulling out from my uphill intersection more frustrating than needed and I usually just shut it off.

Was surprised at how much grip my 3 season old Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires are, even though the front ones are a bit more worn than the rears (they used to be in the rear last year).
cons: 325i: Yamaha R3

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +306/-964
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi
« Reply #629 on: December 12, 2017, 10:16:05 am »
X-Ice Xi3s just shrugged off the first snowfall of winter like they didn't even notice.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +227/-150
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:59 am »
X-Ice Xi3s just shrugged off the first snowfall of winter like they didn't even notice.

:thumbup: Nice to hear/see!

Offline carcrazed

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-86
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 MDX Elite; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #631 on: December 12, 2017, 12:38:27 pm »
Even used Xi2s on my Civic did pretty well today.  I didn't notice any slippage at all.

Offline slybry

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 328 XDrive & 2015 Kia Forte 5 EX
« Reply #632 on: December 14, 2017, 07:32:19 am »
Just got our first major snowfall and was able to test our the Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR's I have on my Forte. Very please with performance in deep snow and packed snow. Dragged me out of some pretty deep stuff with no problems. Braking seems very good. Dry road performance is very nice as well. Very quiet and smooth. Tracks nicely. I think they are living up to reviews.

I like them much better than the Blizzak WS70's I have on my BMW. They are noisy when cold. Sound like truck tires for 1st couple kms till they warm up. I also have also found them squishy. When new they really felt bad.

I had Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus on my Mazda 3 (now sold) and loved them. I am considering buying a set for my BMW next summer.

I think I am a Pirelli fan. :)

Living my BMW dream and praying it does not become a nightmare

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 14, 2017, 07:54:50 am »
Thanks for the review.

For me it came down to the Pirelli's or the WS-80s.  In the end my previous experience with the Blizzaks had me go with the devil I knew.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-252
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2017 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #634 on: December 14, 2017, 08:15:55 am »
Reading these reviews of the various tires people have, i'm amazed at how much tire technology has come, even in the last 5 years.
The Pirelli's, Blizzaks, X-ice.. they are all great. 
The last 2 morning's drive to work have been on a bit of everything.. hard packed/ice, greasy slush, etc..  the grip from the Blizzaks is nothing short of amazing.
The AWD system of the CX-5 works well.  You know it's working, but very much unobtrusive and in the background.
Impressed I am.

Offline warp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +9/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Chrysler 300, 2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2016 Honda Civic LX.
« Reply #635 on: December 14, 2017, 08:42:48 am »
I've got to say the Yukon XL on Blizzak DM-V1s is unstoppable.

On Monday night with the storm in Central/Southern Ontario I drove the ~400 km from Sudbury down to the GTA leaving Sudbury about 8.30 pm. Actual driving time to the GTA was 4 hours and 20 minutes and the conditions all the way down varied with accumulated powdery snow north and then wetter snow further south in the Parry Sound area and further south into Barrie. But with the temperature as low as -17C in Sudbury there was a fair amount of icing on the road as well. I left the Yukon on the Auto setting all the way through and with it's ground clearance it just shrugged off the snow on the road. It's really a great vehicle for winter driving.

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 14, 2017, 10:25:20 am »
Last night downtown Guelph (Woolwich and Wyndham), I was heading S/B on the latter, which doglegs left at the crest of a hill.  The WS80s did allow the bum to slide out a bit (controlled) and quite frankly, it was so split-second that I was hella impressed.

The roads got quite dicey later last night, and wifey was driving home from the college at ~11:30pm in the Fozzie.  She said T/C came on twice, but otherwise she had no issues but drove past a number of accidents.

Again, all these tires are quite good.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1302/-1119
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 14, 2017, 10:27:10 am »
I've got to say the Yukon XL on Blizzak DM-V1s is unstoppable.

On Monday night with the storm in Central/Southern Ontario I drove the ~400 km from Sudbury down to the GTA leaving Sudbury about 8.30 pm. Actual driving time to the GTA was 4 hours and 20 minutes and the conditions all the way down varied with accumulated powdery snow north and then wetter snow further south in the Parry Sound area and further south into Barrie. But with the temperature as low as -17C in Sudbury there was a fair amount of icing on the road as well. I left the Yukon on the Auto setting all the way through and with it's ground clearance it just shrugged off the snow on the road. It's really a great vehicle for winter driving.

Nothing like a proper 4x4 with ground clearance, good tires and a rear LSD to shrug off bad road conditions.
You gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Offline carcrazed

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-86
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 MDX Elite; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #638 on: December 14, 2017, 01:11:02 pm »
I still try to get the MDX on WS80's to slip on ice and snow.  I felt the ABS kicking in for half a second when I intentionally stepped on the brakes hard. No one was behind me or in the intersection.
The used x-ice 2's on my Civic are not as bad as I thought.  The Civic feels pretty planted even at highway speeds and stops very well w/o needing ABS intervention in -15*C weather.   

I gotta re-torque both of them soon before 4 of 5 nuts go missing like No-San's friend's.  ;D

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 14, 2017, 01:36:56 pm »
I gotta re-torque both of them soon before 4 of 5 nuts go missing like No-San's friend's.  ;D

Mock me again and I'll...