Author Topic: Mazda's Sky Active X engine: 20-30% more efficient due to HCCI  (Read 9327 times)

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Mazda's Sky Active X engine: 20-30% more efficient due to HCCI
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »
Well with the Toyota-Mazda partnership, Toyota may be sharing some patents with Mazda.

And I think you figured out that the spark plug is there only when lean burn required for HCCI is not possible.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 02:22:17 pm »
And I think you figured out that the spark plug is there only when lean burn required for HCCI is not possible.
...again, that's not correct.  The spark plug is required at all times.  This engine never achieves SOLELY HCCI - in its most efficient usage, the spark still creates a small fireball that causes the lean air/fuel mixture to undergo HCCI - but it's initiated by the spark in any event.  The Sky-X engine is ALSO capable of traditional SI (spark ignition) wherein the compression ratio is lowered, such as during cold starts, etc.

...but at no time does the spark plug NOT fire.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »
Here's another test...and again, the manual is far from hybrid-like....but better than previous version by a decent margin.  Interesting to note that per the icon, the manual wasn't driven very hard at all.

That is a cool image for f/e....where did you find that and do they do other cars?
The reviewer posted the image...no doubt from Mazda themselves.

I'm guessing every tester at the event has a similar printout. I'm guessing since the car is a prototype it has a bunch of in board telemetry electronics and that's where this came from.

No doubt this was as much as a press event as it was a real word test session.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:18:28 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 05:17:20 pm »

Well with the Toyota-Mazda partnership, Toyota may be sharing some patents with Mazda.

I believe you are correct. In Japan, companies that have relationships (car companies, suppliers, etc) work close together as it's mutually beneficial. They have a belief if either company they work with fails, they themselves are partially to blame. So they help each other...Even to the point of sending their own engineers to help with projects that don't necessarily belong to them.

So yea..with Toyota owning 5 percent of Mazda I can definitely see Toyota's massive engineering department lending a hand or ideas/technology to Mazda to help overcome some obstacles.

This differs greatly to the American plan of trying to beat up suppliers and essentially being at war with companies that do business with their competition.

Having been in manufacturing for many years, I've seen it first hand.

Good insight, Dkaz.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
Sounds like a win...I will wait for 5 years though, reliability might become a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hoodlum

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura Integra
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 11:18:42 pm »
Jim Kenzie posted his results of the Skyaciv engine.  His auto did a combined 5.2l/100km including doing 160km/h on the autobahn. 

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20170909/284056256949396

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2017, 07:33:27 am »
Wow, realworld 5.2L/100km combined, with a recorded 164km/h run on the autobahn, and with a regular 6spd automatic?! I am more and more interested, and amazed, with what they are doing here, not just with the increased performance/economy of the engine but the total package of improvements. Another article with video also - http://www.caradvice.com.au/579982/mazda-skyactiv-x-review/

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 09:53:05 pm »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.