Author Topic: Mrs. KD's new ride  (Read 15588 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Mrs. KD's new ride
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2017, 09:26:25 am »
Congrats.  Step up from a Fusion no doubt.  The older I get, the more I like the idea of a big comfy couch too.  If you had winters for the Ford, hopefully they have the same bolt pattern.

TLDR - if no one has mentioned yet, I think that cutout in the bumper is for the electrical hookup - for a charging port on the hybrid models (or future hybrid?).  Perhaps it's where the block heater cord comes out of...OTOH (ok, most likely and most definitely) it might be where the tow hook hook-up is located, but why would a Lexus ever need that?  Not planning on backing it into a steep ditch anytime soon I would hope.

Thanks!  The fusion was a very good car and if the GS is anywhere near as trouble free I will be happy! 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2017, 09:28:59 am »
Nice mini review Tom. Sounds like you got yourself a winner!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:37 am »
Congrats.  Step up from a Fusion no doubt.  The older I get, the more I like the idea of a big comfy couch too.  If you had winters for the Ford, hopefully they have the same bolt pattern.

TLDR - if no one has mentioned yet, I think that cutout in the bumper is for the electrical hookup - for a charging port on the hybrid models (or future hybrid?).  Perhaps it's where the block heater cord comes out of...OTOH (ok, most likely and most definitely) it might be where the tow hook hook-up is located, but why would a Lexus ever need that?  Not planning on backing it into a steep ditch anytime soon I would hope.
Only reason for a Lexus to get towed if some swerver in a F-150 hits it  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2017, 11:41:13 am »
Brilliant buy - I'm jelly.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2017, 05:49:13 pm »
 :(
Brilliant buy - I'm jelly.

Thanks Nosan!  It's brilliant alright!  8) Especially in sunlight!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2017, 08:46:24 am »

Only reason for a Lexus to get towed if some swerver in a F-150 hits it  ;D

You're such a dikc...  :rofl: :rofl2:  :rofl: ;D

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 09:14:03 am »
What a great find. Love the rims!  Like others have said, this is my favorite generation for the GS, it's by far the best looking.  Gorgeous interior too.  Congrats on the new wheels!!! :cheers:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 am »
What a great find. Love the rims!  Like others have said, this is my favorite generation for the GS, it's by far the best looking.  Gorgeous interior too.  Congrats on the new wheels!!! :cheers:

Thanks 5WD!  The rims look really good close up, but yesterday i noticed that they did not include the key for the lock nuts and I wanted to check the torque.  Just trying to get one now after the fact.   :P

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 10:11:40 am »

Thanks 5WD!  The rims look really good close up, but yesterday i noticed that they did not include the key for the lock nuts and I wanted to check the torque.  Just trying to get one now after the fact.   :P
A CPO is suppose have all original equipment with it, if not just ask
 did you get the Credit card size key ?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2017, 11:18:11 am »

A CPO is suppose have all original equipment with it, if not just ask
 did you get the Credit card size key ?

The wheel lock key is the only thing missing.  I haven't used wheel locks in so long that i didn't even consider it at the time.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2017, 11:44:23 am »
I'm considering putting them on the Mazda3 since it'll be on the driveway and not garaged soon.  It was a pain to retorque my dad's RX even with the key - not a real pain, but took an extra 10s per wheel :P

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2017, 11:44:47 am »
The rims look really good close up, but yesterday i noticed that they did not include the key for the lock nuts and I wanted to check the torque.  Just trying to get one now after the fact.   :P

Dude, you drive a Lexus now. You don't need to get your hands dirty.  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:06 am »
I'm considering putting them on the Mazda3 since it'll be on the driveway and not garaged soon.  It was a pain to retorque my dad's RX even with the key - not a real pain, but took an extra 10s per wheel :P
Stealing Mazada wheels  :rofl:
If they are pros they have all the keys anyway

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2017, 12:09:44 pm »
The rims look really good close up, but yesterday i noticed that they did not include the key for the lock nuts and I wanted to check the torque.  Just trying to get one now after the fact.   :P

Dude, you drive a Lexus now. You don't need to get your hands dirty.  ;D

I just can't leave well enough alone!  Actually, that's about the only wrenching i do when it comes to cars. 

Stealing Mazada wheels  :rofl:
If they are pros they have all the keys anyway

Yea, i don't see the need for wheel locks.  They just add another 10 seconds to the removal time for the guys stealing them.  :rofl:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »
GF's Mazda 3 came with the wheel locks & no key... she took it to the dealership, they took off the locks & put the regular lugs on for free... I can't be bothered with them anymore!! There are none on my GC, or on the GF's Mini... the Porsche came with some & I've left them on since the Fuch's are worth $2k or more  :P
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
GF's Mazda 3 came with the wheel locks & no key... she took it to the dealership, they took off the locks & put the regular lugs on for free... I can't be bothered with them anymore!! There are none on my GC, or on the GF's Mini... the Porsche came with some & I've left them on since the Fuch's are worth $2k or more  :P

I turned down the wheel locks on the CX-3, but they left them on anyway and I have the key.  They will be removed in the fall for the switchover and replaced with the non-locking ones (which I also have in the glove compartment).  As I understand it, the locks are more trouble than they're worth.  However, I do see the value when you have several thousands of dollars worth of tires on your car. 

Me?  Not so much. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2017, 07:47:36 pm »
This car has, seriously, DECADES of life left in it.  It would be difficult to buy a higher quality car, period.  I know that they seem expensive as a used car, but compared to new prices for cars in the class, saving a few tens-of-thousands is a great path to owning such a fantastic car.

The big longitudinal-engine Lexus sedans are simply amazing.  Hey, the ES is terrific too, but man, the GS and LS are just unreal.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2017, 09:31:36 pm »
This car has, seriously, DECADES of life left in it.  It would be difficult to buy a higher quality car, period.  I know that they seem expensive as a used car, but compared to new prices for cars in the class, saving a few tens-of-thousands is a great path to owning such a fantastic car.

The big longitudinal-engine Lexus sedans are simply amazing.  Hey, the ES is terrific too, but man, the GS and LS are just unreal.

That's what I figured.  It was about the price of a decently equipped brand new small cuv, but without the crazy depreciation. 

The ES sedan is a damn good car too, but the two I tried were fairly base and higher mileage.  The ES is the one to get if you need the big back seat though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:33:29 pm by KDS2K »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2017, 10:39:51 am »

That's what I figured.  It was about the price of a decently equipped brand new small cuv, but without the crazy depreciation. 

The ES sedan is a damn good car too, but the two I tried were fairly base and higher mileage.  The ES is the one to get if you need the big back seat though.

Was the drive better in the GS than ES? Would you have gone with ES if there was a lower mileage one with options?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2017, 12:44:31 pm »

Was the drive better in the GS than ES? Would you have gone with ES if there was a lower mileage one with options?

I didn't get a lot of seat time in the ES, and only briefly tested the different drive modes, but the impression i got was that the GS has a slightly firmer ride in normal mode than the ES.  The Sport+ mode in the GS is hugely transformative though as it adjusts the suspsnsion to a much firmer setting along with a more aggressive transmission mapping.  I believe sport mode in the ES simply adjusts the transmission mapping and not the suspension.   

Bottom line is that the GS is more of a sports sedan while the ES is more of a luxury sedan.  The overall character is pretty well what you would expect when comparing a fwd to a rwd based platform, but i didn't notice any substantial torque steer from the ES when i pinned it a few times in Sport mode.