Author Topic: A New Pickup Truck?  (Read 49920 times)

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: A New Pickup Truck?
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2017, 02:36:18 pm »
It's easier to write off a lease come tax time than to figure out the freaking complicated CCA, depreciation, etc. calculations for an owned outright truck. Corporations have the man power to handle that, I'm sure CanuckS2K doesn't want to.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2017, 02:40:04 pm »
It's easier to write off a lease come tax time than to figure out the freaking complicated CCA, depreciation, etc. calculations for an owned outright truck. Corporations have the man power to handle that, I'm sure CanuckS2K doesn't want to.
just judging the ads that run around here often, F150's always seem to have some sort of deal on a lease.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »

That's for his accountant to worry about!

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2017, 02:56:55 pm »

Unless his accountant charges by the hour.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »

Surely it can't be that complex. There's standard formulas for this stuff I thought.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:17 pm »

Surely it can't be that complex. There's standard formulas for this stuff I thought.

I thought it's pretty straightforward.  I used my personal truck for work for a few years.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2017, 03:20:03 pm »
^no advantage to leasing anymore, CRA closed that loophole a number of years ago... same sh!t if you buy or lease now, only the portion you use the vehicle for work gets written off along with fuel, maintenance & repairs... that's one option, other option is mileage which is ~$0.54/km for the first 5000kms & then $0.52 after that... or somewhere around those numbers, too lazy to look them up.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
He would have an accountant to do that :censor: , since he is probably incorporated anyway
Truck would be a complete write as he has 2 personal cars already   ;)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2017, 04:48:30 pm »
Lots of cars have rusted away without having any damage.
of course, but surface damage (to expose the metal) can accelerate that significantly.

The corrosion benefits of aluminum are very real.
??

um, you realize that aluminum is VERY prone to corrosion, right?...what aluminum doesn't do is rust, but it still corrodes...if you have a flat painted surface, the corrosion will look similar to the early stages of a rusty steel body panel...it might not make a hole in the panel, but will still look like the bubbly surface you get with traditional steel panels.

there are significant advantages to aluminum, mainly weight (increased GVWR, improved fuel economy), but the rust issue isn't as big of a deal as is being advertised...sure, it won't rust, but it can still corrode...both will equally look like $hit, the F150 just won't have holes in it...however, aluminum is also a softer metal, so like the GM commercial where they drop an empty tool box on its corner, it can pierce a hole in the aluminum relatively easily.

I agree. Ever see one of those big Ford SUVs (Expedition? Navigator?) with the aluminum rear hatch...I see those heavily corroded with flaky paint all the time.

I think that is a either a paint or a design issue. F-150 hoods have been aluminum for years (14 I think). I examine probably 15/week. See lots of rock chips but never see anything like the bubbling rust you find on steel hoods. And I have never seen aluminum corrosion anywhere near causing a hole like in rusty steel. Maybe the corrosion you see in Eastern Canada is worse than out here just like the rust is?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2017, 04:52:08 pm »
I've seen lots of Expeditions/Navigators with badly corroded hatches even out here.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2017, 05:01:50 pm »
Maybe the corrosion you see in Eastern Canada is worse than out here just like the rust is?
where are you again (AB?)?

i'm in SWO, so plenty of salt used here during the winter months (and you'd get salt water near the oceans in the east coast regions).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »
Shane
What did you strike the GM twins off your list ?

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:34 pm »
Seems to me that my 05 outback had an aluminum hood.  Never had an issue with corrosion.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:25 pm »
Myth that Alberta uses no salt.  We salt the roads here.  My car is white all winter.  The best thing that happens here is that it stays cold.  Our cars stay pretty "dry" in the winter compared to places that sit around freezing and still get snow/salt.

The bummer about Alberta is that we dump these things all over the road...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:48 pm »
Seems to me that my 05 outback had an aluminum hood.  Never had an issue with corrosion.
that would be a very unique feature for a car in 2005 to have...not saying it didn't have it, but aluminum body parts were not really that common until the last couple of years, and even then, it still isn't very common...as i just helped my parents shop for a new CUV, the only compact model (we looked at, anyway) that offered struts was the Forester (not sure what the hood was made of though)...the other main brands (CX-5, CRV, RAV4, etc) were all steel hoods...while likely not a big deal for us in here, my mother can't lift those very easily (she's 70, is short, and doesn't have a lot of strength for that movement as she's had shoulder issues in the past)...the Equinox was the only one we looked at that was aluminum and she could lift that one with ease...the Forester could be lifted with ease too, but it had struts, so i'm not sure if the easiness was attributed to those or the material of the hood.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2017, 08:31:34 pm »
that would be a very unique feature for a car in 2005 to have...not saying it didn't have it, but aluminum body parts were not really that common until the last couple of years, and even then, it still isn't very common...as i just helped my parents shop for a new CUV, the only compact model (we looked at, anyway) that offered struts was the Forester (not sure what the hood was made of though)...the other main brands (CX-5, CRV, RAV4, etc) were all steel hoods...while likely not a big deal for us in here, my mother can't lift those very easily (she's 70, is short, and doesn't have a lot of strength for that movement as she's had shoulder issues in the past)...the Equinox was the only one we looked at that was aluminum and she could lift that one with ease...the Forester could be lifted with ease too, but it had struts, so i'm not sure if the easiness was attributed to those or the material of the hood.

My Supra had an aluminum hood...in 1994.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:57 pm »

My Supra had an aluminum hood...in 1994.
from the factory??...as i said, that would be a very rare feature...even today, very few vehicles have aluminum hoods (aside from high end sports cars, etc)...the big thing nowadays is weight savings, so you'll start seeing more of that kind of thing though.

EDIT: just googled it and it does appear they had them from the factory...but i'm sure you can agree that was a very unique feature, which is all i was saying anyway...they aren't very common.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:42:45 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »
My 1994 Miata has an aluminum hood too.  Toyota had to install one on the Supra to keep it from getting an ass-whuping from Miatas...   :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 21, 2017, 09:29:14 pm »
My 1994 Miata has an aluminum hood too.  Toyota had to install one on the Supra to keep it from getting an ass-whuping from Miatas...   :rofl2:

Yes, Supras have been known to catastrophically fail when sucking in Miatas through the turbo inlet.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:07 pm »

Yes, Supras have been known to catastrophically fail when sucking in Miatas through the turbo inlet.

Okay, that's actually funny!

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: