Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 437567 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #840 on: March 17, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »
I did.

I just didn't "gel" with it.
Crappy... what's next then?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I'm conflicted...I really am.

I really loved the practicality of my Burgman. I rode it to work rain or shine every day such was the practicality and ease of use and weather protection. I can't recall riding as much in many years. Which is why I'm so disappointed the new Yamaha Tmax 530 DX hasn't been announced for Canada yet...cause that would add sporty to the mix in addition to the great features it has.

The new 2018 Honda Forza would be great too...but again, no word yet.

Bike wise..Duke, all the way. But I know I wouldn't use it everyday...because it's hardcore.

Not sure which way to go.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #841 on: March 17, 2018, 06:02:14 pm »
scooters are great...i know some people tease (or look down on them) people who ride scooters, but they really are great vehicles...economical to run, cheap to insure, storage and fun to ride (just get on and go).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 17, 2018, 11:44:26 pm »
scooters are great...i know some people tease (or look down on them) people who ride scooters, but they really are great vehicles...economical to run, cheap to insure, storage and fun to ride (just get on and go).
I was one of those guys.

I'm a convert. I mentioned this (privately) to SirO after a test drive of a Tmax back in 2012 or so.

I feel a bit guilty that it took me into my 40s to figure this out.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 18, 2018, 11:59:20 pm »
FFS...have been offered a leftover 2017 Duke.690 for a ridiculous price.....really not sure what to do.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #844 on: March 19, 2018, 04:55:56 am »
FFS...have been offered a leftover 2017 Duke.690 for a ridiculous price.....really not sure what to do.
What's your heart say ?
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 19, 2018, 07:41:00 am »
What's your heart say ?
Heart says Duke.

But I know it will be ridden significantly less than the scooters I'm interested in.

But said scooters are not available.

Also despite the killer deal, it's still a significant $$$.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #846 on: March 19, 2018, 02:33:09 pm »
I should get in on selling Amsoil and rake in the cash so I can afford to buy a new bike then sell it every year.  ;D

I wish Yamaha would bring their XMax here but I think the demand for scooters is peanuts compared to USA. I'm surprised BMW is bringing the C400X here. I do hope Honda Canada decides to bring the new Forza here.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 19, 2018, 02:48:00 pm »

I should get in on selling Amsoil and rake in the cash so I can afford to buy a new bike then sell it every year.  ;D

I made $110.97 in commission in 2017.

I sold the bike for $300 less than I bought it for..Though I am out the sales tax.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #848 on: March 19, 2018, 02:55:44 pm »
Kind of a bummer regarding the CB. At least you didn't take  huge hit.

It'll be interesting to see what you haul home next.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:44 pm »
Kind of a bummer regarding the CB. At least you didn't take  huge hit.

It'll be interesting to see what you haul home next.  ;D
Was a great bike and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 19, 2018, 04:02:52 pm »
Maybe I'm less picky with bikes. I have no intention of getting rid of my CB300F anytime soon.

Did you take much of a hit with your scooters?

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 19, 2018, 04:46:21 pm »
Maybe I'm less picky with bikes. I have no intention of getting rid of my CB300F anytime soon.

Did you take much of a hit with your scooters?

No, actually.  Sold my Burgman for exactly the same.  And my PCX wasn't much...but I forget now.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 19, 2018, 06:28:49 pm »
I wish Yamaha would bring their XMax here but I think the demand for scooters is peanuts compared to USA.
honestly, i think it's the opposite...i think the demand for scooters in the USA is virtually non-existent, which is why we likely aren't getting this nicer ones...Canada alone likely isn't a big enough market, so we kind of rely on the USA for what we get here...if a company is going to spend the money to certify a vehicle here, they're more likely to do it if it sold in the USA.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 19, 2018, 06:35:28 pm »
I wish Yamaha would bring their XMax here but I think the demand for scooters is peanuts compared to USA.
honestly, i think it's the opposite...i think the demand for scooters in the USA is virtually non-existent, which is why we likely aren't getting this nicer ones...Canada alone likely isn't a big enough market, so we kind of rely on the USA for what we get here...if a company is going to spend the money to certify a vehicle here, they're more likely to do it if it sold in the USA.

Well we were getting the T-Max before they were....

But the Forza was a decent seller.....I guess we'll see.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 19, 2018, 07:05:38 pm »

Well we were getting the T-Max before they were....

But the Forza was a decent seller.....I guess we'll see.
the funny thing is (regarding the stigma about scooters), when i was in the UK a couple of years ago, scooters are everywhere in the city (especially London, UK)...i mean everywhere...hundreds and hundreds of them...i saw way more scooters than i did motorcycles (there were plenty of those too, but scooters were by far the dominant two wheeler)...between that and small cars (Golfs and Polos especially), it was interesting to see people actually buy cars/bikes based on need, not image.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 19, 2018, 07:15:59 pm »
Yamaha USA has the XMax, nothing announced in Canada yet, if ever. They also pulled the plug on TMax in Canada a year earlier than USA.

USA also has more selection of Taiwanese scooters available that we don't get here. They have Chinese scooters too but I could care less about those pieces of crap. I mean Kymco is arguably the best and they're in Canada, SYM is second best and they unofficially pulled the plug here.

But for purely city use, I might grab a PCX150 or SMax if they ever come with ABS.

On the note of UK, I find it funny that they make fun of North Americans for predominantly buying automatic transmission cars but then they predominantly buy automatic bikes. Same reason, people prefer twist and go in the city.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #856 on: March 19, 2018, 07:24:08 pm »
I like the big engined scooters but struggle to under its value-add in places like the US where parking is plentiful and cost of car ownership is fairly low. In urban centres, sure. But the cost insuring a larger engined scooter, plus licensing equipments equivalent to that of a motorcycle, the value proposition drops off.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »
You can’t do this in a motorcycle without a top case! No they’re not quite as fun as motorcycles but they’re so awesome for commuting.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 19, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »
No they’re not quite as fun as motorcycles but they’re so awesome for commuting.
this...it's all about using a daily driver...they excel at that...i mean, you actually buy something and use it almost every day.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:08 pm »
I like the big engined scooters but struggle to under its value-add in places like the US where parking is plentiful and cost of car ownership is fairly low. In urban centres, sure. But the cost insuring a larger engined scooter, plus licensing equipments equivalent to that of a motorcycle, the value proposition drops off.

Actually, my 400cc scooter was cheaper to insure than my 400cc dual sport.