Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 437506 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2017, 09:14:34 am »
Over time, I've gotten better at longer rides. When I first started off riding, I lasted an hour- I usually can go for about 1,5h now without a stop. But I agree with DKaz......it's nice to stop and enjoy the scenery and sights every so often, even if I'm mentally and physically still fine.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2017, 10:34:59 am »
I find after 1 1/2 to 1 45 I want OFF now!

haha. 

Honestly I'd plan for 6 days.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2017, 10:38:27 am »
A friend of mine rode her 2007 Yamaha R6 from Fredericton to Ottawa in a day. I'd have been crippled by that.

I've done 8 hour days on my 2007 FZ6. That was enough.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2017, 10:44:57 am »
Varies a lot too on the weather and how good your gear is. Fighting wind all day across the prairies is exhausting, and rain showers can drive you nuts if you don't have waterproof breathable gear. A heated vest/grips makes all the difference if things are cold and a mesh/evap vest if it is hot.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:41 am »
The longest I've been on my CBR 125R was 2 hours stuck in traffic, the longest I've been on a motorcycle in highway conditions was an hour and 40 minutes riding to Starbucks in Squamish from home, rested for 20 minutes with a nice green tea latte, then rode another hour to work. My main problem was that my crotch eventually butts up against the fuel tank and becomes numb (we're all friends here, right?) and that's what I need a break the most from. Hopefully the Airhawk seat alleviates that.

I'll aim for 4 days but allow for 5. While I'm going to enjoy the time to myself, I don't want to be away from my family for too long. Would love to also meet members along the way although I'm likely taking the highway through Val d'Or and avoiding most of the populated areas.

I agree the right gear helps. I have a mesh jacket and a textile jacket, and just textile pants although I'm going to look into some good riding jeans. I'm from Vancouver, waterproof was the first type of gear I got. My helmet is awesome, I can wear it forever comfortably. A fog free pinlock insert would make it even better. I think grabbing a couple of pairs of comfortable touring gloves, one all weather and one summer pair -- would make a huge difference. The gloves I currently have need to be replaced.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:54 pm »
So it seems insurance might be the biggest hurdle against this plan. I wanted to originally insure and register the vehicle here, get the plates, get over there, slap the plates on, then ride it around and ride it back, but it seems the insurance broker is required to visually check the vehicle VIN before registering the vehicle under my name. But I can get it insured here beforehand. Once I'm in Ontario, I need to get a transit plate. And I think this is it here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

https://www.ontario.ca/page/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker

The transit plate might only be valid on Ontario and I may need to repeat this through every province traveled through.

Quebec: https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle-registration/temporary-registration/
Manitoba: https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Reg-and-Ins/Insurance/Insuring/Pages/short_term_autopac.aspx
Saskatchewan: https://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/registration/plates/permits.html
Alberta: https://www.servicealberta.ca/Types-of-licence-plates.cfm

UGH. Why does this have to be complicated! I'm posting this publicly in hopes that members in each of the provinces listed above can tell me how easy it is to get said transit plates.

I'm also thinking I could get the cheapest 12 month insurance coverage I can get in Ontario, and cancel it when I get back to BC. Any recommendations for insurance companies?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2017, 02:55:01 pm »
This is starting to get less complicated, this is related to importing from the U.S. but I can't see why this can't apply to importing from another province. Crossed out whatever doesn't apply. Note, auto insurance brokers in BC also act as vehicle registrars, so think of it as going to MOT and an insurance broker in one trip.

Driving the vehicle to an Autoplan broker
    When you arrive in B.C., you'll need to drive your vehicle to:
    • a   B.C. designated inspection facilityand
    • an Autoplan broker's office to have it registered, licenced and insured for driving in B.C. The broker needs to see the vehicle to confirm the VIN and odometer reading and check for any visible damage.
Get insured before your temporary insurance expires
It can save you time and money to drive there before your temporary "binder" of insurance expires. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase additional insurance for those trips.
Required documents to bring to your broker
    When you go to the broker's office, bring the following:
    • Vehicle Import Form 1 with two stamps from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
    • CBSA document B15, or B3 or B4
    • the vehicle's original Certificate of Title or Certificate of Origin
    • the original bill of sale, and
    • a "passed" inspection report, signed by the inspector, from a designated inspection facility.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:52 pm »
Super easy to get an in transit in AB. Pay some money, show your insurance and get it for 48hrs. Not sure how the process works remotely. To do it properly is a lot of work. I suspect a lot of people slap on an existing plate and hope they don't have an issue or get pulled over. It should be easier to go legit given the stakes.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »
Forgot to add this part:

Driving a vehicle from the U.S.
    To drive a vehicle home from the U.S., you'll need to:
    • Buy temporary insurance from ICBC called a "Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance" from your Autoplan broker. If you're outside of B.C., call 1-800-328-4484, Monday to Friday, 8:15 - 4:30 PST.
    • Buy an in-transit permit from the state in which you buy your vehicle. Please note, most U.S. states will not issue this permit without proof of insurance.
    • If you cancel the binder of insurance before its effective date, the full premium will be refunded. There are no refunds on binders of insurance once the policy is in effect.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »
I don't know how it works in BC, but how's your relationship with your broker?
Would he accept you sending him a photo/video of the bike and a close-up of the VIN, or does he actually have to see the bike in person?

Temporary bike insurance in Ontario sounds like a bad idea, I think there would be a minimum number of months (I think it's 3, might have changed)  and it's highly weighted in the summer months.
Mr Pickypants

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
Super easy to get an in transit in AB. Pay some money, show your insurance and get it for 48hrs. Not sure how the process works remotely. To do it properly is a lot of work. I suspect a lot of people slap on an existing plate and hope they don't have an issue or get pulled over. It should be easier to go legit given the stakes.
It's funny.  Because they make it so complicated, most people can't figure it out or don't bother to.  They do just that here, slap on some plates and go.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »

Good to hear. And I agree, it's not worth the risk of potentially getting into an accident without the proper coverage.

It's funny.  Because they make it so complicated, most people can't figure it out or don't bother to.  They do just that here, slap on some plates and go.

It's Canada, they can't make it too easy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2017, 04:28:11 pm »
I went to another insurance broker in person and the person I spoke to deserves a $20 Tim's card.

• Get scanned copy of registration and bill of sale from seller.
  • Get Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance from an Autoplan broker. I could buy it over the phone but I prefer to have paperwork. This will cost me $99 for 11 to 20 days with $1 million third party liability and $300 deductible collision and comprehensive coverage.
  • Called Service Ontario for this information... go to one of their offices to get a special permit. For this I need to fill out a form, pay $23, and show my BC drivers license and  proof of insurance. This is good for 10 days and apparently all across Canada. They are simply giving me a sticker, not a plate, so I just basically have to attach the sticker to either where the plate would go or maybe my helmet.
  • Ride around Quebec and ride home!! If I find I'm running out of time, say I get to Alberta on day 9, I could get a 48 hour permit there

:bounce: :banana: :bounce: :banana: :fiver:

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2017, 04:38:08 pm »
Nice. That sounds very reasonable!  8)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2017, 06:20:56 pm »
There you go, good to hear.

A good insurance broker is a good thing to have.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2017, 06:24:24 pm »
I went to another insurance broker in person and the person I spoke to deserves a $20 Tim's card.

• Get scanned copy of registration and bill of sale from seller.
  • Get Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance from an Autoplan broker. I could buy it over the phone but I prefer to have paperwork. This will cost me $99 for 11 to 20 days with $1 million third party liability and $300 deductible collision and comprehensive coverage.
  • Called Service Ontario for this information... go to one of their offices to get a special permit. For this I need to fill out a form, pay $23, and show my BC drivers license and  proof of insurance. This is good for 10 days and apparently all across Canada. They are simply giving me a sticker, not a plate, so I just basically have to attach the sticker to either where the plate would go or maybe my helmet.
  • Ride around Quebec and ride home!! If I find I'm running out of time, say I get to Alberta on day 9, I could get a 48 hour permit there

:bounce: :banana: :bounce: :banana: :fiver:

I'm terribly sorry.  I'm late to this thread.  I could have provided the info you needed.  The sticker goes on your plate, and has a large red "T" on it.  It is good for 10 days.  But you can renew it ONCE for another 10 days.

And did I miss it?  What are you buying??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:26:52 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »
I'm terribly sorry.  I'm late to this thread.  I could have provided the info you needed.  The sticker goes on your plate, and has a large red "T" on it.  It is good for 10 days.  But you can renew it ONCE for another 10 days.

And did I miss it?  What are you buying??

No worries! There would be no plate to attach it to but I could bring mine from BC. 10 days should be plenty.

And no you didn't miss it because I've avoided answering that question. But because you're one of the few here who won't let me beat around the bush... Wing's Honda CB300F.

We're going to Quebec in July for family and a wedding and I was originally going to rent a Ducati Scrambler for $700 to ride around there, but then the thought occurred to me a couple of days ago, why not buy his bike, ride it around, then ride it home instead? So basically for the cost of a brand new CB300F, I'm flying my whole family to Quebec plus getting a 2015 CB300F with low kms and riding it back for the experience of a life time. :thumbup:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2017, 07:22:18 pm »
And no you didn't miss it because I've avoided answering that question. But because you're one of the few here who won't let me beat around the bush... Wing's Honda CB300F.
i'm surprised he's selling it...i figured he'd want to keep it for when the Victory won't start.  :stick: (I kid, I kid).  ;)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2017, 07:44:02 pm »
For risk of Wing increasing the selling price...  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2017, 08:04:20 pm »
For risk of Wing increasing the selling price...  :rofl2:
the CB300F will likely serve you well...while i know you are thinking of doing a VERY long ride on it (to get it home), it's bread and butter is likely as a commuter bike...perfect vehicle for zipping around town on.

i still really like the new Duke 390 though...this new review just came out (yes, still in India, and watching the urban riding riding there gives me the willies):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lCfWEfUgko&t=723s  (great sequence at 4:45-5:15, NSFW though)

rrocket is likely right...it's going to be tough to beat this bike in the entry size class.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:09:08 pm by dirtyjeffer »